Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Fising 11 pm through 6 am

Default No Fishing 11 pm through 6 am

We are planning a trip up there in July and one of the trips we are planning is the Upper Russian. Our contact up there said she heard they are talking about prohibiting fishing between 11pm and 6am, either on the rivers or just the Russian.

Said it is because there have been too many encounters between Bear and fisherman....................I'm thinking this really can't be true..................can it?
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-12-2007 at 09:04. Reason: Spelling

Default Russian

It happened last summer. And yes it could happen again or be a new regulation. From what I have seen it is a pretty good idea. It allows the fish to rest and some get up river without the onslaught of flying hooks at them. It really was put into place as a safety precaution to keep human-bear conflicts to a minimum. Good Luck

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless they put the woods off limits from 11-6.

The area we are looking at is a minimum 3 mile hike. Our intentions were to hike in fish, stay the night and fish.

Were the woods off limits last year and was this just for the Russian.....going to try to find it in the regs to get an understanding of it.

Thanks for letting me know it could be a possibility.

I would say that it does make sense, the bears are out early and late in the day, therefore during those times the chance for an encouter greatly increases. There have been fish stolen by bears and bears shot in this area by fishermen. Seems like a guy was mauled pretty good not long ago as well. Don't think they are kidding you, there are plenty of bears around.

The area that was restricted last year was a relatively small section near the confluence of the Russian/Kenai confluence. For precise definition I would call the area biologist and yes there are bears!

They imposed this rule a couple of years ago after I guy just moved here got mauled at the bottom og the Grayling parking lot stairs.
    At night the bears tend to venture at move, so they imosed a curtview 11pm to 6am. This will do this again if the bears start to become a problem.
    For me I liked hitting the water around 4am. Sunny and no one on the river.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default camping

You might want to stay at the Russian river campground for reservations (877) 444-6777 even thou someone got bit through there tent last year, I would not recommend a 3 mile hike into the upper Russian that time of year and stay over night, way to many bears. If you do look for a guide don’t take the kids and get bear smart.

Smile

I would think that pretty much anywhere remote that Salmon are running, Bear safety would be a concern.......or does the Upper Russian hold more Bear then average.

If you do look for a guide don’t take the kids and get bear smart.
    Not taking any kids, but I am making sure I take at least one person I can out run.

Kind of suprised that "Big Brother" has found his way to Alaska.

Bear Bait for sure, lots of bears, you are just asking for trouble, please don't set yourself up for disaster.

Default bear encounters

Maybe a few other members can help me and my memory out, but at one point last year in the Upper Kenai 19 bears were killed in self defense. The actual hunting season was closed because too many bears were shot during fishing season...

Bear Bait for sure, lots of bears, you are just asking for trouble, please don't set yourself up for disaster.
    Not sure about this post Yukon....if it's concern, thank you, if it was meant to be insulting or sarastic, I am glad your type are the minority on this site..........and if I misinterpreted it, then I apoligize.

Not asking for trouble,.........but I am asking questions and researching issues in preparation for this trip, and fortunately am receiving a great deal of good information.................for which I am grateful.

I would like to fish some remote stretches of river that hold good fish.....if the Upper Russian should be ruled out then I will look elsewhere, but again does "Remote, River and Salmon" always equal Bear.

Could not tell you the exact numbers killed in defense of life and property but it is on a point system ...boars 1 point Sow and Cubs each 2 points. There is a total of twenty points allowed each year. If during the summer on the entire Kenai Pen that number has been exceeded or close too the fall brown bear season will be closed.
    As for the three mile hike, it is such an easy hike there is no way you would find me camping overnight at the falls. For the most part you can not fish right at the falls anyway, you must go down river to the open areas. Don't become a statistic and get bite because you think you might get first water, not going to happen on the Russian. There is plenty of good fishing throughout the day just take your turn in line and have fun. The Russian during Salmon season has a very high concentration of bears compared to other area streams, mainly because it is easy fishing for the bears compared to the bigger waters. Lots of mature and immature or more "curious bears" come to fish this water. Be safe there are plenty of people around, give the bear more space and respect than needed and dont shoot anything just because it walks

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    I would like to fish some remote stretches of river that hold good fish.....
    The Kenai and Russian do not have any remote areas that do not have people fishing. If you are looking for a remote area, you may want to find a guide or fishing charter and try fly-in fishing somewhere. Otherwise it will be elbow to elbow when the fish are in.

There were also restrictions to tent camping in the campground last year.

It is all concern, no pun at all. The odds are you won't get hit by a bear but that area has a high concentration and I would not do it, period. Yes, the Russian as more bears then most areas because of the return of sockeyes, many of the creeks don't have sockeyes returning and will not hold as many bears.
    Also, it sounds like you are wanting a remote type fishery, that is not the Russian. You may want to try some of the smaller creeks or look into a fly-out/drop off type trip that puts you on a greyling/rainbow lake. That might be more of what you are looking for.

If you want salmon fishing you will have to stay below the falls. If you want a remote experience with good rainbow fishing you can hike past the falls to the lakes. There are forest service cabins on the lakes if you choose. Yes, there are many bears throughout the system. I spent 3 nights in a tent at goat creek at the far end of the upper lake. I am here to tell about it but I did not get much sleep.We cuaght lots of nice rainbows on dry flies and egg patterns but, way too many bears.

Except for the closure in 2003, all the closures have been land closures by NFS and USFWS, not closures to the fishery itself which is regulated by ADF&G. Although the fishery may be opened, you would not be able to access the fishery if you were to cross federal land during a closure. The land closures occur inseason and are only used if federal land managers feel it is a necessary action based upon current events.

2PawsRiver; you are correct when you say the Russian River is a wild area and anglers need to be aware. The Russian River has some great fishing areas upriver from the confluence that are not as crowded as the confluence.

With over 2 million visitors to the Russian River, there have been less than half a dozen maulings and zero deaths. There are many places in Alaska that have much worse odds than that.

I guess remote is a reltive term.......my only real experience at "Combat Fishing" in pictured below. May be Michigan's equivalent to Alaska's Kenai, the Big Manistee during the King Salmon run.

But walk a mile and go from this to sharing a 100 yards of river with 5-8 other guys and only 1 or 2 if its late or early. I don't mind the crowds, actually enjoy fishing there and have met some really great people.

I am assuming that if we walk several miles upstream we go from combat fishing to relitivly quiet fishing.....but don't know for sure, but am hoping to be at least a little intelligent about where we're going by the time we get there.

As for going above the falls........does the lack Salmon cut down on the number of bears one may encounter. We are wanting to do some quality Rainbow fishing on the rivers and am still looking into that...........Is there Dry Fly fishing in that area to be done in the last half of July.

Would like to do a fly in somewhere, but quite frankly we're just a bunch of middle class poor people.....not complaining but we are on a limited budget and are going to do one charter. We're looking at Halibut, would like a Salmon Shark Charter, but they are a bit rich for us.

Am looking at fly Ins. I think when they list a price for a day of 350 dollars and am assuming they mean for the whole group rather then each. We may give that a shot, split 5 ways that is affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    I guess remote is a reltive term.......my only real experience at "Combat Fishing" in pictured below. May be Michigan's equivalent to Alaska's Kenai, the Big Manistee during the King Salmon run.

Looks familiar, this is on the Kenai, just downstream from the confluence of the Russian:

Quote Originally Posted by PawsRiver
    But walk a mile and go from this to sharing a 100 yards of river with 5-8 other guys and only 1 or 2 if its late or early. I don't mind the crowds, actually enjoy fishing there and have met some really great people.
    You can walk either upstream on the Russian, or downriver on the Kenai, and the crowd will thin, but there are certain holes where the salmon hold, and those almost always have a group sized to crowd sized number of folks working them. Yes, the further up you go, the smaller the groups of people, but as folks here have stated, the number of bears increases (and it's also true here, you CAN meet some great folks in those masses, just like anywhere else.)

I am assuming that if we walk several miles upstream we go from combat fishing to relitivly quiet fishing.....but don't know for sure, but am hoping to be at least a little intelligent about where we're going by the time we get there.
    That is the key word "relative". It's all relative bro' depending on what you definitions and tolerances are. It can be quiter, but the salmon holes more than likely will have people...Trout cruise the whole river tho' and as such in that pursuit you should be able to find some solitude.

As for going above the falls........does the lack Salmon cut down on the number of bears one may encounter.
    There's no lack of salmon above the falls, they are heading for the lake(s) at the headwaters. Salmon fishing is prohibited (I believe) 100 yds downstream from the falls. Not sure of the regs on trout up there, but it is bear scary. You will most likely find the Bigger Boars up that way as they prefer the solitude and lack of people, and they are quite determined to not give up a prime fishin' hole. Hard to fish and relax when the eyes in the back of your head are bugging out...<grin>

We are wanting to do some quality Rainbow fishing on the rivers and am still looking into that...........Is there Dry Fly fishing in that area to be done in the last half of July.
    Plenty of quality 'Bow fishing all over that region, they aren't Russian specific there. You might wanna go to the bookstore on this site and grab a copy of the Highway Angler. Would be an asset I believe. Dry flies might work in some creeks, but keep in mind that by late July the Kings are into their egg drop/spawn, and the reds are beginning. Flesh and eggs will have become the targeted food of choice for the Trout and Dollies.

Would like to do a fly in somewhere, but quite frankly we're just a bunch of middle class poor people.....not complaining but we are on a limited budget and are going to do one charter. We're looking at Halibut, would like a Salmon Shark Charter, but they are a bit rich for us.
    With some research and a little effort you can have your cake and eat it too. There are areas of the road system here that offer great trout/salmon fishing with little or no crowds. Just STUDY STUDY STUDY and be ready to huff it in somewhere and you will not be dissapointed. Skip the Shark thing, leave something on your plate for next time. The money save could be spent on a raft rental *hint*...<grin>

Am looking at fly Ins. I think when they list a price for a day of 350 dollars and am assuming they mean for the whole group rather then each. We may give that a shot, split 5 ways that is affordable.
    No, I believe that price is perperson, unless they are flying your group to the other side of the runway.

No offense intended here, but I think some folks have shown a bit of concern over your seeming disregard for fishing around bears. If I may ask have you ever fished/camped in bear country? Many of us here have for all or most of our lives, and we express concern based on the knowledge that it is a rectum puckering experience at times.

Best of luck, and good fishing.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Fly out price is per person. But $350 is pretty cheap relative to your trip, it you could get dropped off some where for a couple of days it would be well worth it to experience some of the fishing you have in mind.

AKHippie had a good idea, you may want to contact Jeff over at Alaska Raft and Kayak, he may be very helpful and have some ideas you may not have thought of. You could rent a raft, and get dropped of somewhere, out of my expertise but he would definately have some great, affordable ideas!

BTW, there are lots of salmon above the falls, but the fishing is closed. This system holds a lot of fish and bears, easily more so than others, expecially for its size.

Do a google search for Alaska Raft and Kayak, call Jeff and get some ideas, even if you don't use his services you might get some other options to research!

Default Alaska Raft

http://www.alaskaraftandkayak.com/

Guess I shoulda added that, thanks yukon.

Not sure if it's appropriate or allowed to link other Alaska Forum sites here, but there are one or two that are more trout/salmon specific...If you'd like the links by all means send me a PM...
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast