Thread: Winter Blues!!!!

Default Winter Blues!!!!

Is it just me or is winter feeling long!!! So to help with the winter blues lets hear about your best trip last year. I know hard to decide!

The one I'll pick was in PWS in mid July. It was a true day of fishing in that we were fishing and not doing much catching! PWS right! The day was perfect though, blue skies, hot sun, flat water, and I love the view that PWS gives you. At the end of the day we did have two butts on the boat, 140lbs and 60lbs. That night we slept on the boat in a small bay and the water was so calm you would not have known the boat wasn't sitting on the trailer in the parking lot. The next morning awoke to some fog that eventually lifted and pretty much spent the day buring gas and exploring.

D
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default I love PWS

This happens to me almost every year. I have been going out of PWS for about 7 years. 5 of those years were in a zodiak 16 footer. Sometimes all the way out to main bay. Got older and bought something more comfortable. Anyhow, we were fishing out of my favorite yelloweye hole on a rainy day but little wind. We could not get the buzz bombs to the bottom to catch yelloweyes because the salmon would pick it up on the way down. I tried to get smart and use a halibut rod with a 2 pound weight to see if I could get past them. 250 foot of water, got a bite, caught another salmon. Caught at least 50 salmon that day. Too bad the limits was only 3 per person. Finally, the salmon moved out and started hitting bottom. Got our yelloweyes and a 60lb halibut to boot. All day long, fish, fish, fish. Love that PWS.

Kammer
    22' Seasport

Default Last summer was a rainy sunofagun

The best boat trip I had last year was in late May during the nicest week of weather we had last summer (which it is just wrong to get a teaser week like that and then have it rain all summer). It was 75F and no wind, my wife was looking hot and reading a gossip magazine as I tried (unsuccessfully) to catch a trout. We spent all day getting sunburnt, NEVER complain when you get a sunburn in Alaska (I'm an Alaskan for global warming).

Because of the nice weather and good times, that's my favorite outing from last year.

Kammer and Dman: Your trips sound awesome, I think I need fishing lessons. I can't describe the amount of **** my friends dish out cause my boat has yet to get bloody. I tell um I like my boat too much to get it all bloody.... they don't buy it though

JeTCraFTeR, you'll get it bloody soon enough! Say where is that lake in your pic? Reminds me of the lake at the end of Fishermans Hop in Caswell Lakes.

D
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Best/Worst Day Last Year

Made a deal with a concrete guy who gave me a screaming price to pour some crete for me. The deal was, to take him & his son (who had never caught a salmon) fishing. Well, it's not that I need an excuse anyway, so off we went to Seward. My boat was a 16' Harborcraft. Small, but handles chop well. Anyway, I took them past Fox Is. off to the left by Chiswell. We landed 8 silvers and 3 very large black rock fish after 4 hrs. So, we called it a day and headed back before the afternoon chop starts. It was a great trip.

Anyway, on the way back to Anchorage, we come upto 20 mile river bridge, and people start to slow down to gawk at the jet boats launching etc. Well, slowing down turns into stopping, turns into screeching, the typical domino effect when people are too close and not watching. I got stopped fine, but I hear this gut wrenching screech-slam behind me. I look into my rearview just as I see my boat coming in thru the back door of my suburban! Man. What a feeling! Like I just lost a family member.

To end, State Farm (the other guy's insurance) bought me an 18' Harborcraft 2 years newer & loaded. Good news, bad news, good news. You should note, State Farm is great to work with, and if something like this should happen to you, be sure to put in a claim for loss of use. I got $3.50/lb for 60 lbs of fish I would have caught, plus money for boat rental!

I haven't got to the point yet of saying winer been to long, but I do have the itch.

Best trip was in Aug. My next door neighbor son was leaving for college so I took them out halibut fishing. It was so foggy but it lifted. It took time to find the halibut, but when we did it was on. Best part of it was the fog burned off and got really warm and the seas were flat. Great time with friends.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Answer

DMAN, the photo was taken at Island Lake in Nikiski, which is a little ways north of Kenai. The photo was taken late early May (hence the lack of greenery). The lake is small but has trout in and coves for water-skiing.

I was still breaking in the motor, so I did a bunch of laps. Nevertheless still a good time.

Well last year a bought a 24 ft wooldridge only got 4 tips in it before I blew out my knee had surgery. Did get to the deska for silver was fun but this year will be the year plan to run the sh** out of the boat.

Default Best trip

My best trip last year was the last one. Was fishing for silvers in PWS. By accident, caught a king. Then another one. Figured out what I was doing to catch the kings and then started fishing for them and caught a couple more. One of which was quite large, and one was my first white king. Looking forward to many more of those days this coming summer.

OK, now reading these stories has got me the itch big time. two more months.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK