Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AOD MEMBERS are what makes this site what it is

Thumbs up AOD MEMBERS are what makes this site what it is

People have criticized this site's software upgrade, at times its uptime/downtime, and also its management. I have. And many of you have too.

But none of which matters one whit, compared to the personal enrichment received from the exchange of friendship, comraderie, support, and also actual knowledge (on occasion ) exchanged sometimes.

Thinking back through just this last week, I'm trying to itemize to myself how many and which members I've had wonderful personal/private exchanges with - is it 5 or 6? About 1/4 of the time in person and 3/4 of the time on the Internet, but thats how Internet sites work I guess.

I know, I kid different people here a bit - likely too much. And personal contacts I have with members here are almost never discussed; maybe one in twenty I would guess. I don't want to exhibitionize personal contacts I have with members on here.

Just a few minutes ago a fellow forum member drove out my driveway on his way home - he is one of the finest men that has walked this earth. He and I found out about each other's common interests (same hunting grounds, styles, methods, and more) on this forum close to 2 years ago. I won't mention his name and hopefully he won't respond on this thread because like I said, I don't want to exhibitionize personal relationships.

What I do want to do is to thank all of those I've gotten to know personally on here.

And to say that the individual forum members are the glue that makes this site what it is; as great as it is. Not technology, not this site's management policies or its mighty insight, or anything else, but it is the many wonderful
    people here.

And just like in real life, you run across some real jerks here. But also, just like in real life, the hugely wonderful people outnumber the jerks 100 to 1.

Nicely put...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Default on further thought...

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Thinking back through just this last week, I'm trying to itemize to myself how many and which members I've had wonderful personal/private exchanges with - is it 5 or 6? About 1/4 of the time in person and 3/4 of the time on the Internet
    Since posting that I've thought more, and its been 4, in person, in the last week. Plus many more than that in Internet-contacts in just this past week. Like I said, I was "trying to itemize" them.

Lends even more credence I think to what I said in my original post's main message, which is "Thank You".

Although i live in Idaho,, i enjoy this site, and the people on here very much..
    My yearly trips to Alaska just keep getting better due to this site and all the great info spread out through all of these pages..
    Strange as it is i have met more folks in person from this site than any of the other sites i visit,, except for a great bird hunting site.
    We meet up all over the state and hunt each others hot spots..

Thanks AOD and the folks that make up the site,, i have learned so much here, theres no way to list it all...

Yeah I can't say enough about this site and the info I have gained from it.
    Other than the forum members I know from work and whatnot I finally got to meet up with a forum member a couple of weeks ago who I have talked with several times on here and another forum. Even though the weather didn't cooperate we still had a great time and could probably have spent several days talking summer fishing,ice fishing,gold mining, The Iditarod and on and on.
    I also find it funny how a coworker will ask me about how the fishing is somewhere or the hunting or how to do some outdoor thing and if I don't know already within a short time I can usually have an answer for them.Just by looking on this site. I usually recommended this site to them but some people just find it easier to ask and get someone else to look I guess.
    Also amazes me that this is the ONLY place to find out about shrimping in the Sound or crabbing in Homer or lots of other Alaska outdoorsy stuff. Just can't find it anywhere else.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Amen to that
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

We cover from old to new.Many of the old wish for a return of the past and the new hit the ground running. I would say that I would have at least one cup of coffee with 98% of the folks here. As I look back I also hit the ground running but there was always a old folk to grab my ear and slow me down.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I too have been enriched by people I've met and exchanged with through this forum.

With fellow forum members I have hunted, fished, snowmachined, and BS'd about those things over maps and a cup of coffee or a beer. I've given and received tips and advice. I've given raspberry starts and I even sold a utility trailer to some dude in Wasilla with a canoe

We, as a community of outdoorsmen (an' wimmin), have far more that binds us than not. This forum and the technology that supports it are just a reflection of the times we live in. This forum is our gathering place; a modern day equivalent, if you will, of the small-town hardware store of yesteryear.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Default memory like an elephant.... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    I even sold a utility trailer to some dude in Wasilla with a canoe
    And, um.... I sure he appreciates that to this day.... Actually, I'm positive that he does.

And look at the bright spot, now instead of tall weeds in that unused corner of your yard, you get to mow it all pretty like now.

FamilyMan you seem worldly when it comes to life in a domestic capacity, so I'm gonna need your take on my situation. Here it is, my wife seems jealous of the forum. She thinks I'm addicted to this forum and gets annoyed when I grab the laptop when I'm relaxing. At first I thought she was off her rocker, then I caught myself sneaking to the garage to check the threads. I literally do heel clicks when I log on and have a notification, I start echoing yahoos if I get a rep point, on the other hand when I'm in a disagreement I tend to be distant. Once I got flagged cause I got mouthy and slipped into a mild depression. Is there anybody else that may have this addiction? Do we need to start a forum anonymous thread? We could have a daily 12 step seminar maybe a morning session w/ a noon follow up then maybe a pre-dinner reassurance meeting and of course a night cap prayer swearing off the forum until morning.
    Whatcha think?

Fullbush, I was like that last December/January.

Hopefully, a visit to a warm locale and a new swimming schedule for the kids will help this winter.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Hi, FULLBUSH!

That's the greeting given at Forum Members Anonymous, of course.

If "worldly" means I've been on this world a long time, you got my number, though there are some really really old feebly-typing members here (not to single out King or anything) that do have a few years on me.

Secondly, at the risk of being taken in, I'll assume that there some seriousness to your post. If not, (then stranger you chime in here and slap me about - again) my bad.

OK, here goes:

-> You need to tell her that this is the #1 outdoors forum in this state, and its hard to get afield without running into other members here, and there are great people here, to share both comraderie, support, and actual info too that can save you tons of cash in regards to equipment buys, choice of location to go afield, timing and more. In other words, its REAL stuff, not Internet hooey.

-> If you have friends in real life that you met first here (I have many, and cherish them) then point these out to your wife. If you don't, then lets move up to the top of the schedule you and I meeting; we're neighbors, and I'd be happy to share a cup of tea, coffee, or a cold one with ya.

-> Lastly, if you're sneaking away to check the forum, then yes, you do have a problem to deal with. Seriously. Its the hiding thing that indicates that; nothing else you said.

Of course don't get hung up on dumb points, and also on dumb people you do run into on here (and hell, some of them even work here [oops, what that my "out loud" typing?]). The really cool people here do outnumber the jerks 100 to one or better, though sometimes it doesn't seem so because the jerks are mouthier.

Just put in in perspective for what it is, and enjoy it with your wife if she chooses that or without her (out in the open) if she doesn't.

Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    FamilyMan you seem worldly when it comes to life in a domestic capacity, so I'm gonna need your take on my situation. Here it is, my wife seems jealous of the forum. She thinks I'm addicted to this forum and gets annoyed when I grab the laptop when I'm relaxing. At first I thought she was off her rocker, then I caught myself sneaking to the garage to check the threads. I literally do heel clicks when I log on and have a notification, I start echoing yahoos if I get a rep point, on the other hand when I'm in a disagreement I tend to be distant. Once I got flagged cause I got mouthy and slipped into a mild depression. Is there anybody else that may have this addiction? Do we need to start a forum anonymous thread? We could have a daily 12 step seminar maybe a morning session w/ a noon follow up then maybe a pre-dinner reassurance meeting and of course a night cap prayer swearing off the forum until morning.
    Whatcha think?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Doesn't this thread belong in the fishing forum?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default done

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    And you tell me sometimes that I don't hear real good....

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

ALL GOOD POINTS
    As I go about my daily business I often wonder if some of the people I run into are AOD members.There is no way to know for sure but I have stumbled onto some real surprises occassionaly.One very frequent poster turns out to live only a 100 yards from my house .Go figure.
    We all have something to share .Keep up the good positive work and try to minimize the negative crap that happens at times.This will keep our site growing and enriching the wonderful oppurtunities we all can share with others.
    Is that ok to call this OUR site ? I hope so because that is the way I feel about it.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    And you tell me sometimes that I don't hear real good....
    Okay I'm missing the joke but moving our FA meetings to the fishing section is an excellent idea!

Thumbs up Heck yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Is that ok to call this OUR site ? I hope so because that is the way I feel about it.
    Its more OUR site than the guy that holds the pink slip.

Yeah, he/they make the rules, but without us members, its just an empty bag they're left holding. They need us members more than we need them. There are other Internet sites; the thing that makes this one different (and I believe it is) is the PEOPLE here.

Default the joke (is on me)

Okay I'm missing the joke but moving our FA meetings to the fishing section is an excellent idea!
    The joke isn't too darn funny. Vince tells me sometimes that there is lots of stuff I don't know (he's right) that sometimes I read too much into things (he's right), and that sometimes I miss the (obvious) point (he's right).

So I thought it'd be funny to follow his suggestion, so I did, and moved the thread over hear like he asked.

Though likely he was kidding, I wouldn't know because I don't read/type/understand/know too good.

(<------- to Vince)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

, I start echoing yahoos if I get a rep point,

.................................................. .........
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

.................................................. .........
    "You must spread rep around before you can give it to Vince again"

In other words, go cry to the mgmt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast