Thread: Hunting Caribou on the Dalton

Default Hunting Caribou on the Dalton

I am going to be able to get a week off at the end of october from work and was wondering any tips on hunting caribou off the Dalton?? I'd like to get up there from a Friday to a Sunday of the following week. I'd be driving from Anchorage, a long drive but oh well. I was wondering if that's a good time to go for them or no? I don't have an ATV or boat yet. Any tips, or suggestions?

OK is this your first run up there? To be honest I would not go during the time frame you mentioned. I just got back from toolik lake and now there is only about 9 hours with enough light to hunt, I saw one small group of caribou and it was cold enough to freeze my socks to the insdie of my boots when I got up for a potty break in the middle of the night. You are aware that it is bow only from the yukon north and ATVs are illeagl on the slope?
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I didn't realize it was that slow up there. Glad to hear, so I didn't waste a 12 hour car trip just to freeze!! Thanks a lot for the info!

Well it varies considerably. Rick may not have seen many on this trip but next week there could be hundreds. When I went one year I bet I saw 2000 in 2 1/2 days. But Rick is also correct, very short days, very cold and bow only unless you want to hike the five miles in very tough circumstances.

In my opinion not worth the trip, unless you are going to target small bulls and cows, the big bulls will taste like crap (legalized wanton waste) in my opinion, wait and go in aug/sep timeframe or even april

If you want it bad enough go ahead. I had 4 days from fairbanks shot one outside the corridor first morning and got it out the next day with a buddy atv wont do you any good up there temps got down to -15 so be prepared for that as well I made a note to myself after this hunt after the last week of sept no more haul road for this guy if your using a rifle just know that it is a tough hunt that walk is possible but it is no joke!! what ever your decision is I wish you the best of luck

and I also saw about 500 head by oil spill hill and as for bulls,alot of good ones.....mine was okay but there were alot of really good bulls up there but it is lot of luck we just happend to stop to answer natures call when we decided to bust out the spotting scope and spotted these guys way way off the road

Quote Originally Posted by HuntAK59 View Post
    I didn't realize it was that slow up there. Glad to hear, so I didn't waste a 12 hour car trip just to freeze!! Thanks a lot for the info!
    12 hours? Where are you hunting? It's about 12 hours from Fairbanks. I've been up there as late as December and have seen good numbers of bou. -20 but it wasn't bad if you are prepared for it. It's a crap shoot anytime you go up there. Here today and gone tomorrow.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I'll definately agree on the varribility! However there a some times that are better than others lots of stuff on this over in the bowhunting area including hunt reports. I personally like mid april.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Thanks a lot for the info guys. how deep was the snow out there? I might try and hike the 5 miles in. Could be worth it and fun, or just a pain in the butt.

Just read your post. Congrats!! Glad you got one, nice one! You think I should truely wait until next year or head on up?

Just read your post. Congrats!! Glad you got one, nice one! You think I should truely wait until next year or head on up?
    Wait till next year and fly in. Or get your bow here then head up. Hike is doable, more doable since frozen. Tough to camp in those temps. Need to have good tires, studded if you have them. A spare, extra fuel. Will be around or over 18hours minimum I would think this time of year. You drive like a bat out of hell though! Roads get skinny up there. Check out the haul road threads in the bow forum.

HAHAAH yeah I do. You got any time off coming up? Want to do something else for a hunt then?

HAHAAH yeah I do. You got any time off coming up? Want to do something else for a hunt then?
    Well now are talking the caribou just outside of fairbanks or actually up the Haul road in the Dalton corridor? Will be hunting fairbanks for moose in Nov. I believe. I could ask for time off depending on what caribou you are wanting to hit and such. Dude Haul road will be suicide with all the truckers and weather, it can blow for days. Stop a bit, then blow for days the other direction! No place to mess around and worked in it for years. -80 with wind chill sucks, ya know know what the weather will do. Don't let our nice fall fool ya!!!

Your time window for a safe walkout especially solo will definately be closed by the end of october. I had considered doing the walk on my last trip but stayed with the truck, when I saw the conditions. I am considered prety nuts by most of my friends standards and have a fair amount of experiance with cold weather camping/hunting. Snow never gets very deep on most of the slope for long because wind quickly scoures it away.
    BHA Member

I have hunted up there in Nov. a couple of times and it is easier traveling when it is frozen. Watch the weather and try to pick a window that looks doable (0-20 degrees). Go prepared with winter gear and a small tabogan to tow behind you as you hike. Use PVC pipe to attach to the sled and around your waist, that way when you go down hill you can control the sled. Pack a winter camp in your sled and head out once you see animals. Use your GPS to make sure you get out 5 miles. You can then camp out for a night or two while hunting. Then when you get an animal you can put it in your sled and head back. Those bulls can be pretty bad this time of year when they get in the rut. Go later in Nov. or pick a small bull or cow to shoot. I have also hunted up there in early Sept. before it freezes solid and the easier hunts have been in Nov. for me.