Thread: Cabin Insurance

Default Cabin Insurance

I am looking for advice on purchasing insurance for a remote, off grid, recreational cabin. Something that is reasonably inexpensive and covers wildlife damage and theft.

It seems that most insurnace companies want to charge an arm and a leg because the cabin is not in a designated fire response area and primarily heated with a wood stove.

Are there any policies in Alaska specific to recreational cabins??

I wass quoted $640 a year for $35000 and $840 a year for $70000 by State Farm. It is a rider on my home insurance.

I pay $462.00 for $40,000.-- with Geico. Mostly I wanted the libality insurance.

Wow seems high to me. USAA gave me 86k for about 400 a year check around

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.AK View Post
    Wow seems high to me. USAA gave me 86k for about 400 a year check around

But.......Do you own another home......? That seems to make a big difference. This is my only home. I have never ever made a insurance claim ever. I called them after being insured with them for three years, and asked if I could raise the value even if it raised the premium, they said NO. And that the only reason they even wrote the homeowners was because I had two trucks full insured with them, and had never made a claim.

Most insurance companies will not even talk to you for a remote location. I am surprised that someone has USAA, i just talked to them and i offerd to switch over 2 homes 2 cars, and a large boat and just meet what it was costing me with another company. They came in at twice the price on one of the houses because the fire district is across the street and will not respond to the house, and twice the cost on the boat.
    I do not beleave you will find a cheap price on a remote property it is always a trade off for what you want. Then the detuctable will be high as well, good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I double checked 465 premium w $1000 deductible, but that is with a pretty good discount about $900 off
    been with them for years and have multiple policies. If you want I can get you the name of the
    person that underwrote my policy, she was from Alaska which made it easier. You have
    to qualify for USAA though prior military or family was military.

Dwelling $83,000
    Other Structures $20,750
    Personal Belongings (Includes Replacement Cost) $62,250
    Loss of Use Unlimited Personal Liability - Each Occurrence $500,000
    Medical Payments to Others $5,000

Allsate won't even offer a policy for remote cabins, even if you have everything insured with them...I tried about two month ago.
    BK

I don't think any company will provide "wildlife damage" coverage.

Did USAA look at your cabin, I had a low quote from them too. Then they looked at it said cabin too close to trees (about 15 ft) and my cabin is too far from a fire hydrant (it is a cabin I had to tell them). You can drive to mine so perhaps I should have told them you could not drive to it.

We switched to Umialik Insurance Company in Anchorage. We have not made any claims, but so far they have been a pleasure to work with.

My cabin is about 3-1/2 miles from the closest fire hydrant, in the Borough, Country Wide insurance insured it for about $900.00 year, 290,000 value. It took me a while to find an agent and company that would insure it.