Thread: Rebore or Rebarrel?

Default Rebore or Rebarrel?

I am working on building up a 35 Whelen and have a few questions. I have purchased a Remington 700 in 30-06 for the base but need to decide whether to rebore or rebarrel?

The 30-06 has a factory sporter barrel, only thing is I am not sure of is if the sporter barrel will have enough metal left. So for those of you who have or have thought about a rebore, will a sporter 30-06 barrel have enough?

Also, I have only found one place for a rebore that I feel comfortable about and that is JES in Oregon. Do any of you have any gunsmiths that you recommend.

Thanks a head of time for the help.

I had a MRC 1999 '06 with a SS fluted barrel rebored to .35 Whelen a year or so ago, the shop that did the work was called Delta Gun Shop/Clearwater Reboring, their shop is based in Colville, Washington. Don't recall what the barrel was thickness requirements were, if you get a hold of them I am sure they could answer any questions you have regarding a rebore project.

http://www.deltagunshop.com/clearwat...ng/index.html#

your "smith" will adivse you on the barrel contour needed, but #2 or #3 should be fine for a whelen sporter. i have used shilen, lilja, douglas, and a few others but..... if you decide to rebarrel consider er shaw, they are a great barrel and "cheap" too!

happy trails.
    jh

I can't comment on your entire question but I can vouch for JES in Oregon. Jesse re-bored my 30/30 Win to 35-30/30 and did an outstanding job. I think it was about 10 days total turn around from the time I sent it out to back in my hands. Incredible. I am super pleased with his work and you can't beat the price from what i've seen. $225 including return shipping!

What are the cost comparisons between the two? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just re-barrel and have your '06 barrel to either sell or swap back to if you didn't like the .35?

For the rebore it is going to run $225 and the rebarrel would end up running minimum $345 for a barrel from Hart without the smith work, also trying to resale the barrel the average asking price I am seeing is about $75 so I wouldn't cover the difference. J E S Reboring is going to do the rebore and the smith work. So ultimately it is more cost effective to do the rebore. Until I looked at the prices on barrel blanks and figured in the smith work I wasn't sure, but I am having the rifle sent to Jesse today to get it on its way.

Quote Originally Posted by l@@kin_4_holes View Post
    For the rebore it is going to run $225 and the rebarrel would end up running minimum $345 for a barrel from Hart without the smith work, also trying to resale the barrel the average asking price I am seeing is about $75 so I wouldn't cover the difference. J E S Reboring is going to do the rebore and the smith work. So ultimately it is more cost effective to do the rebore. Until I looked at the prices on barrel blanks and figured in the smith work I wasn't sure, but I am having the rifle sent to Jesse today to get it on its way.
    I think you'll be satisfied with the rebore, but I wouldn't use Hart as a price comparison. That's a little like comparing the rebuild price on a Chevette 4-banger to a Corvette crate engine. You'll save some money in the 4-banger, but its not the same 'Vette.

FWIW, an ER Shaw barrel is $155-65 that is chambered/contoured (ready for install). A Douglas chambered/contoured barrel is $275. These are higher quality barrels than a rebore at a modest increase in cost. IMO either provide a much better value for your $. IME the only reason to rebore is that the original barrel contour is difficult/expensive to duplicate (i.e octagonal, steps, etc.) or the original barrel markings are desirable/collectable. YMMV.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Out of the two that you have mentioned I would prefer to go with the Douglas and then still have to deal with the smithing fee. One of these days I may upgrade, it will be a few years though.

Man you have alot to learn! Numerous choices for barrels fromlothar walther to Adams and Bennett heck you cod of got a mcgowen with discount for 150 dollars. What you going to do when that rebore don't shoot? Now you are out 225 looking to buy another barrel. I could of got you the gunsmith rate on shilen barrel less than 200. In the end I would of did the rebarrel you WILL never recoupe any money when it comes to semi or even full custom builds. Again alot to learn young one.

I don't disagree that I have a lot to learn, but at least I am finding things out as I go. And if the Rebore doesn't shoot will rebarrel it, but for the time being I figured its worth a try.

So before he starts cutting the barrel; do you think I should go with a cut down to 22", 3 groove with a 1-12" twist or the 1-14".
    From what I have found the factory 1-16 doesn't stabilize anything over 225gr to well and a 1-14 will stabalize a little bigger than 250gr. I figure go a 1-12 to be able to stabilize anything gr I want. Give me some feedback, so this young one can learn. I mean what are you old farts for .

Quote Originally Posted by l@@kin_4_holes View Post
    So before he starts cutting the barrel; do you think I should go with a cut down to 22", 3 groove with a 1-12" twist or the 1-14".
    From what I have found the factory 1-16 doesn't stabilize anything over 225gr to well and a 1-14 will stabalize a little bigger than 250gr. I figure go a 1-12 to be able to stabilize anything gr I want. Give me some feedback, so this young one can learn. I mean what are you old farts for .
    I've had ZERO issues with the factory 1:16 with 250 grain Speers and Hornady SP bullets. Remember that it is bullet length, not weight, that causes a need for a faster twist. That is to say that a relatively short for weight 275 grain RN will almost certainly be okay in the 1:16. I've not needed or used the heaviest .358 bullets in the Whelen, but if you planned to in your rifle I'd skip the 1:14 and consider a 1:12. For my part, a 1:16 is just fine and the accuracy out of my Whelen is exceptional with all manner of 225 & 250 grain bullets. FWIW, there is nothing in AK that a 250 Speer (@ 2550 fps mv) will not hammer and this past season I carried my Whelen with 225 Nosler ABs for moose and brown bear with great confidence. Bullet construction matched with terminal velocity are the ingredients to success when choosing any cartridge/bullet combo. You do not need to use the heaviest bullets to have the utmost in terminal performance IME.

A 22" barrel is fine for the Whelen, though I am partial to a 24" tube on my rifles. You'll give up a little velocity (who cares?), for a little increased ease in handling (never noticed my rifles as cumbersome)--pick your poison.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Not me go with the 1-14 twist... Stay away from the 1-16 twist, again the 1-14 us ideal twist for the 35's.

That Clearwater outfit is Cliff LaBountys old shop and he did and they still do world class work. It'll shoot as good as your origional tube did.