Thread: Learning to play the GAME!!!

Default Learning to play the GAME!!!

Im new to calling. I got a Fox Pro for Christmas last year and tried it a few times with no results. So today I got a call from my friend telling me, Hey I have a wolf over here in my valley come over and bring your caller. I ran over, just as I got there my friend told me the wolf was over on a ridge and just went into some alders. In the time it took me to set up my caller, the wolf came out into view. It was about a mile away and just about half way up the mountain side. I used a wood pecker sound, the moment the wolf heard the sound it turned and ran down the mountain then stopped. The wolf looked right at us for a few seconds, then turned and ran along the mountain. I thought this is it we got him. We watched it until it ran into the brush. We sat there for 40 minutes waiting for it to show up and he never did. Is there anything I should have done different? Is this how it goes, win some - loss some? The way he was running and moving I thought he was going to show himself and I would be posting something different.

A "woodpecker" .... I don't know of many wolves looking for woodpeckers. ... try hare or other injured animal..

That is the first time I've ever heard of a wolf reacting to woodpecker..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

yes I know a woodpecker of all the sounds I have but it worked to a point I thought if other K-9 come into it why not a wolf. Like I said it worked to a point. I also used a snowshoe hair later.

What model fox pro do you have? I would of used the baybee cotton tail or snowshoe hp I don't know why fox pro names them that but those 2 have worked the best for me for all predators also dying crow.. And yes that is usually how it goes except it is win some loose most of the time you have to put In alot of hours on stands and be patient or you won't be succesful. You may get lucky everyonce in a while but for continued success you need to put in the time

Sometimes once you get their attention, you need to go silent. Too much calling can be a bad thing.... but it can also be just the ticket. Losing sight is hard to tell what he did after that. Maybe he circled and winded you (common for them to try to get down wind). Maybe he poked out and saw you, but you never saw him. Hard to say when you didn't see it.

The calling doesn't really matter. Lots of times I think the curiosity of 'whatever' is wounded is what brings them in.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

A wolf howl or 2 might have helped.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Coyote howls can bring in wolves too. I have seen wolves come in hot hot hot after a couple coyote challenge howls.

Calling around here is tough, you have to love spending long hours in the cold to see success.

My guess is he heard the noise.. came to investigate and quarterd to the downwind side and caught your scent.. and disappeared with out ever seeing it again.. Tonight on the way home my wife saw a fox, she called me and said where she seen it.. I took off with my son, eased into the general area and set up.. Hit the call (Foxpro) in the snowshoe distress. . 5-10 minutes go by.. I mute.. wait 5 minutes,, do it again.. here he comes. what I had failed to do was check the wind.. like a dumb ass.. I knew their was a fox their.. I went and didn't take into considration all the things I normaly do.. It came out and quartered to my left.. Hmmm I thought.. it sat looking in my direction at 75 yards.. with my .223 it would have been a easy pickings.. but he didnt look prime to me in my scope.. so I tried coaxing him in closer so my son cold get a close look at him.. he circled downwind and was gone in a flash..

SCENT, SCENT, SCENT.. .cant stress it enough...

You might want to go over to "predator masters" web site. You will find your self more than welcome and you can learn a lot about calling just about anything.

Thanks guys for all your input. I did find out the next day that the wolf
    was back in the same area. My friend informed me the wolf had a
    limp. He asked me what I thought could have happened to the wolf. The
    only thing I could think is that when he came in, he ran over to a
    large ravine and that was the last place we saw him. I also thought when the wolf was crossing it, he could have hurt himself. What do you think? Would a hungry wolf get in such a hurry for food that he would get hurt?