Thread: .458 barrel contour

Default .458 barrel contour

fellas, gonna do a face lift on my lil' J.C.Higgins M50, it is now a .30-338. I want it chambered into the .458 Win Mag and barrel length to be 21" but....not sure of what contour. Now I've a #3 on my 9,3x64Brenn a #4 on a .338-06, the #4 is 22" is just right for me...abit foward heavy but not much, good for stability. So I suspect a #5 PacNor Super Match 21" fitted to the action would serve me well for intended use.

I don't want to ahhh and ohhh with Penny and seem ignorant so help me out before I talk with her tomorrow. This barrel on the Model 50 isn't cone breeched....seems like they can do that too? My mag well measures 3.4", thinking of the 400 grn. Kodiaks or the 450 grn. Swifts for use or perhaps the Hornady 500 Rn....no TSX's. I would tell them that my cartrdg. overall length to be? 3.350" so to build chamber length/free-bore not more than 3.4"? Do I have my idea's straight? 3.35" would allow for shifting under recoil with virtually no damaged tips..no?

1 in 14 twist rate?

appreciate the help

I think a 5 might be getting a bit chunky, outside diam increases for the same number contour as bore diam increases. I built a 458 with a #4 PacNor a while back and it was about right as far as I'm concerned, but the choice is yours.

As for the cone breech thing if the model 50 is an FN Mauser action like I think it is there is no reason to cone breech it. The C ring on a Mauser has a cone built into it and I would guess you'd have to machine the C ring out of the receiver, which sounds like chasing your tail to me.

Have fun with the 458, I love mine. The only thing I don't care for on mine is the rather heavy barrel, not the above mentioned gun that one was about right.

just noted that the C ring has a cone...thanks, point well taken. appreciate the tip on barrel comparison. chunky is not what I want...again thank you.

Grizz,

Who are you using for your rebarrel job? I have been thinking about rebarreling an action to .458 WM as well.

Regards,

Jeff

need coffee.....had PacNor do one of my Win.70's into a .338-06 with a Super Match...superb job and by the 15th shot of breakin I did not note anymore fouling....but continued on nonetheless. It takes them upwards to 4-5 months to complete a barreled action ready for breakin. They have a website....just look up PacNor.

Thank you for the information.