Thread: Beginner trapping...

Default Beginner trapping...

I would love to start getting into trapping this winter, primarily up in the Lake Louise area. Pretty sure the species would be Lynx and Fox for the most part, I don't know what all else is available to trap up there. Just wondering what kind of resources there are to be able to learn about trapping, (i.e. what traps for which species, good places to set trap lines for certain species). I will read up on the regulations, but I was wondering if there was other reading material that would be helpful?

First things first. Check the area for other trappers. I can guarantee you that there are "many" people trapping that area. Be respectful of other trappers and work at finding an area that isn't trapped and that isn't going to be easy around Lake Louise.

i believe many is an understatement...for the LL area.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I was actually thinking of the Tyone river area to be more specific. Just said the Lake louise area as a general area of the interior

Best bet would to make a visit to the Lake Louise Lodge, you'll probably meet some or at least get some good info. I know some trappers out there and they are extrememly territorial for the most part. Many of those guys out there don't check this forum.

Joining the Alaska Trappers Association and going to some of their meetings might be a good way to learn the basics and meet trappers who are willing to help get a new guy started. I'm not a member, but my father was active with ATA for some time and had good things to say. I've heard the same from others on here.

Fur-fish-game is an excellent magazine to get. Also in that magazine there are usually a good number of ads for books to order. There is also the trapperman forums. I learned most everything from reading books and from my dad. and lots of trial and error.

akskidoo- I trap the area along with more people then I can count on TWO hands. I can sit down with you with a map if you would like as I have a pretty good handle of who and where most trappers are trapping. I can tell you the Tyone has some some pretty big and not so..."nice" players so please do your homework to avoid issues. Do you have a place to stay on the weekends? Long way to drive, check a line and then drive back. Pm me if you wish for more info and I will help you as much as possible. Better then wasting your time or being stuck in a survival situation...

Quote Originally Posted by akskidoo View Post
    I would love to start getting into trapping this winter, primarily up in the Lake Louise area.
    PM sent. Have fun!

Just saw in the Daily News outdoors hotline section (B-2 of today's paper) that the ATA is doing a beginning trapping school in Birchwood this Saturday. Might be worth looking into...

And if you're in the area, the AFTA has meetings every first Tuesday of the month at the Palmer Library 7pm. Might want to check those out as well, they are all local folks (ATA and AFTA members) who would quite possibly be happy to mentor you....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I was told the meetings are at the Wasilla library - it is for sure Palmer??

Yes, it is the Palmer library...
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

If you spend the I think 20 bucks on the Alaska Trappers Manual put out by ATA and ADF&G its WELL worth the money to help get you started. I believe it has about as much info condensed as possible for a begginer in a short read. For a little longer read, I really enjoyed Guide to Trapping by Jim Spencer

Good info thnx