Thread: help with euro mount

Default help with euro mount

Not sure how the picture will turn out but here is what I've got. Boiled it for a few hours, havelon and needle nose for a few more hours then a good blast from the pressure washer. I then turned to the hydrogen peroxide. I'm using a 40 volume, have done at least 10 coats of a cream solution over the past week or so. Its getting pretty white, but still some real stubborn yellow around the eyes and top of the skull. I haven't soaked in the peroxide, just been brushing it on, leave for a day or two, wash then apply again. Keep on keeping on with this or what am I missing to get that last yellow out of it? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Soak the whole skull in hot water, add 2-3 cups of clear dawn dish soap and a aquarium fish heater to the water.. the warmer the better.. 100-120 degrees is best. Change water every 2-3 days or when it gets milky.. keep changing until it stays clear.. the yellow color in the bone is oils in the bone and needs to be leeched out. Once all dark stains and yellow spots are gone, brush the 40 vol on, wrap in saran wrap and put in front of a heater.. the heat will activate the 40 vol..doing a better job..

tlingitwarrior,
    Do as Hoytguy said. The proper way is to soak it in the detergent after boiling. We usually use Borax powder. It is a must to get the oil out of the bone for the peroxide to penetrate. Hopefully in your case, it will still get the oil out. My son now does all our deer mounts like this. The euro mounts look pretty cool, and don't take very long to do. He is just about done with our 2 caribou from this year. I will try and post some pics when they are done. Good luck.
    Knute

Please do NOT BOIL... Boiling in excessive heat will break down the protiens, atoms, or whatever in the bone cells itself. Once dry, it will be brittle and flake.. Cut off as much meat as possible, remove the eyes, brains, seperate the lower jaw and toss i na bucket. Add a aquarium fish heater, seal and leave it alone.. return in 2-3 weeks and it will stink.. but be clean as a whistle. Some teeth will fall out so dont go dumping it out.. the fun part is digging through the goo and finding all the teeth. I get 2 or 3 people by a week every srping wanting me to fix their bear skulls they boiled at home.. Nothing cam be done but to seal it.. once the damage is done it cant be reversed on bone.

Good info, and the only additional thing I've done is to soak paper towels with hydrogen peroxide all over the skull and then wrap it with saran wrap. This seems to keep the skull in contact with the hydrogen peroxide longer.

Still trying to figure out what to soak that skull in. I guess some sort of tote with notches cut in for the antlers to drop in. Thanks for the help guys.

Where do you guys find the "40 volume" peroxide? Is that a Walmart thing or, where?
    Seems I've heard it a hairdressers item, as in not the Hydrogen Peroxide you find on the shelf but stronger?

And I have a Bear Skull I've had Beetles clean up, it's really clean but little bit of yellow on lower jaw, so I have in soapy water for about three weeks now, NOT SURE I want it whiter, it looks kind of off white now, pretty real as in what it would look like if found in the woods, will the Peroxide make it look stark white?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Where do you guys find the "40 volume" peroxide? Is that a Walmart thing or, where?
    Seems I've heard it a hairdressers item, as in not the Hydrogen Peroxide you find on the shelf but stronger?

And I have a Bear Skull I've had Beetles clean up, it's really clean but little bit of yellow on lower jaw, so I have in soapy water for about three weeks now, NOT SURE I want it whiter, it looks kind of off white now, pretty real as in what it would look like if found in the woods, will the Peroxide make it look stark white?
    I got mine at a beauty salon here in Anchorage, right accross the street from Sears Mall.