Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite camp comfort?

Question What is your favorite camp comfort?

We all have that one little thing that goes with us on every hunt. Something that goes with us no matter if we're flying, boating or hiking into the back country. For some of us its food, or maybe its a fine cigar from a little island below the border.

One thing on my must have list is a pillow. I don't care how bulky it is to pack, life is just too short to go without a pillow.

So go ahead and give it up, its not like you're at the range this time of year!

I don't bring these sheep hunting, but on any other hunting or hiking trip I always pack a roll of buttermilk buscuits and, if weight really isn't an issue, some squeeze butter and honey. There is nothing, nothing better than a freshly cooked buscuit over a fire leading to some fresh cooked tenderloin or grayling. Love it!

-Brian

Default Camp shoes

I really enjoy having a good comfortable pair of shoes just for camp. I usually take something slip on. Sometimes it is REALLY nice to get out of the hiking boots for a while. Plus it allows for a little more drying time by the fire if I have something else to put on.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

The old man never went to the woods without a beer or pint of brandy! I carry on that tradition, but only when I am out hunting with a camera, sometimes bow.

I like to take homemade jerky with me. My godfather introduced me to this. We would be out walking all day when running rabbits. At some point (usually when the rabbit would take a big circle), we would start a small fire and heat that jerky up on the end of stick. Still do it till this day!

My winter pilota cap. Keeps my head warm and it'a a great pillow
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Depending who the cook is, a good bottle of pepto, a handfull of rollaids, and a roll of TP.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    I really enjoy having a good comfortable pair of shoes just for camp. I usually take something slip on. Sometimes it is REALLY nice to get out of the hiking boots for a while. Plus it allows for a little more drying time by the fire if I have something else to put on.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I always bring a pair of "fishermen's slippers" and a fleece pair of sweatpants to lounge by the fire with a nightcap.

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    I don't bring these sheep hunting, but on any other hunting or hiking trip I always pack a roll of buttermilk buscuits and, if weight really isn't an issue, some squeeze butter and honey. There is nothing, nothing better than a freshly cooked buscuit over a fire leading to some fresh cooked tenderloin or grayling. Love it!
    Brian
    Great idea. Do they come off the stick easily enough? Are they crescent rolls that you just unwrap from around the stick? I like it........

Good pair of shoes/slippers.

Quote Originally Posted by fremont View Post
    Great idea. Do they come off the stick easily enough? Are they crescent rolls that you just unwrap from around the stick? I like it........
    They come off the stick just fine, as long as you cut the stick down to where it's smooth. The crescent rolls actually don't work quite as well. I use the normal buttermilk buscuits and just stretch them over the stick after pinching it around the tip. Don't get the GRANDS or other jumbo size rolls, as they don't cook quickly enough and end up being doughy. You want to pull it as thin as possible without tearing it, and then cook it slowly so that it has time to rise. If cooked all the way through, and if you have some butter or honey to drip down the middle, they are decadent.

Another good one is the cinnamon rolls. With these you have to get a Y-shaped stick. If you braid the dough in between the two prongs it will come out as one solid piece which you can drizzle the frosting over.

Man, I shouldn't talk about this stuff right before going to bed...I'm getting hungry!

Might I say, JETBOIL CUP! Love that thing...........
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

For food it is a toss up. When we fly into Kodiak I always fry up 3 pounds of that good bacon that Costco sells before we leave home. I carry it in a zip lock and in the morning I open a can of biscuits and cook them in a skillet on low heat over the Coleman stove. Add some cheese wiz that comes in those squeeze bottles and it is a breakfast for kings.
    Next favorite food item is a package of stuffing, the kind where you only need to add water. When you come back to the tent at 9 pm and starved it really hits the spot.
    For creature comforts my Arctic Oven is the best thing in camp.
    Tennessee

My plastic pipe "bathtub". It fits outside a contractors trash bag, and requires about 25 gal. of water. I pour the water from the river through coffee filters before putting it in the bag, in the morning. I add a little bleach to kill anything left in the water. The sun warms the water some during the day. In the evening I just add about a gallon of boiling water so it isn't cold.
    Dan

Smile corn dodgers

Always like to take corn dodgers hunting or hiking.

Heard about them in a John Wayne movie when I was young and thought that all real cowboys ate them on the trail.

Never been without them ever since. It makes me feel like i am back in cowboy times to eat corn dodgers on the trail.

jedi

Theres a few things I cherish on a sheep hunt ,#1 bullion cubes,#2, and ultra lite wading swimming type shoes,and Canadian Mist.
    Bear hunting esentials include visine,sun screen and Canadian Mist
    Moose hunting all of the above and some beer.

medium sized pillow,pair of slides for using on the boat instead of boots and I bring a slab of smoked bacon and fresh roasted coffee.
    goldbelt

Default Most Important thing to take Hunting

For me, a positive attitude is best to bring and never leave home without. A 1/2 roll of TP. For comfort...Go on and laugh, Advil and diet Pepsi. That caffiene makes the Advil work very well.

Matt

Wink

One or all three of my sons to joke with in the evening around a campfire. The first night , weather permiting, a very Large campfire. It's lots of fun , and getting harder, and harder to get together. Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Inflatable Therma-rest mattress. It adds like 300% comfort to the camping experience.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Baby wipes and my mocassin slippers. Ohhhh to take off the boots after a day in the mountains.

Here-Here on the Therma-Rest but then I don't consider that a luxury item.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast