Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Got my first Goat

Smile Got my first Goat

Just finished up a 10 day solo hunt in the Chugachs. 9 inch billy. Had a great time and an awesome hunt. Hunted hard and hunted well. Hardest hunt and most rewarding i have ever done. My first year as a resident and have already taken a brownie, blackie and now a goat. I guess Caribou is next and hopefully I can swing a Musk ox hunt too this year. Man life in Alaska is great and even better when your a resident!!!

Any suggestions on the meat? I was thinking burger and sausauge because I have heard its very tough, but dont want to grind a whole goat if its better used for table fare. Hate to grind good roast up if they cook up tender over time?

Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Solo + First(or any) Goat!

Most excellent indeed.
    Afflicted by condition human

Congrats on a great first year as a resident. Sounds like you put in your time and it was well earned.

I'd go for a few roasts on the goat, you can always pressure cook them to tenderize them up a bit. I find the flavor a bit bland, but it is decent meat. I love goat hunting, but they are definitely not on the top of my table fare list.

Well done. Man, you're off to a GOOD start!!!

Man that first pic is perfect! The glacier as a backdrop makes that a wall hanger for sure. It looks like it died in a good place to which can be a real challenge in the goat hills. Congrats on a banner first year!

Nice work on the goat! I gotta ask though......did you shoot him while him was standing in the bushes or did he roll/fall there

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

I KILLED A NICE GOAT 2 YEARS AGO IN MISTY FJORDS. At first I tried to treat the meat like every other kind of game I have killed which covers everything up North with the exception of musk ox but finally I gave in and had every bit of the goat made into hamburg or stew meat. That made it edible and chewable. Otherwise it is like chewing on your WALLET. Cook your wallet anyway you like and it may become a little more palpitable but it`s still TOUGH as hell. The folks I hunted with told me that but I had to find out the hard way!!!

Dude, awesome!! I just moved here, still a non-res until next june. Got a blackie within 1.5 months of being here thanks to my friend chris helping me out. Alaska is awesome!! Great hunt, any more details on it, how you got him, how far from camp, how much hiking involved?

congrats Chris, See you are out of healy, how did the rest of moose season go? Todd
    Quality Taxidermy is not expensive it is PRICELESS

I took a goat a bit bigger than yours about 20 years ago, and I thought the meat was fine. However, it can be tough. I agree with the pressure cooking and tenderizing suggestions. When we got our meat back, we thought, Well hell, let's just fry us up a couple of steaks. Like someone else mentioned, not unlike a wallet as far as texture. You'd put a bite of meat in your mouth and start chewing, and honest to pete, it seemed to just grow and grow the more it was chewed. But the flavor was fine- after that we just did the slow cook methods, lots of moisture- pot roasts, stews, Swiss steaks, etc., and no problems. We got 111 pounds of meat off of our animal, so it lasted quite a while. So, bottom line, don't grind it all into burger, just be careful with your cooking methods and you'll do fine. Congrats on the goat, too- pretty tough hunting, but quite rewarding, if you live through it!

Loved the photo and a great goat to center it,congrats to you.

COngratulations on a great goat and a great hunt.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

Congrats man. I sent you a pm. Glad you got him......

Depends on the age of your animal really. If it's less than 5 you can do a plenty with it. Old goats of either sex are tough and best ground or slow roasted to tenderize.

10 days solo. I bet you were chatty after getting back to town.

How was that exit with tired legs and an entire goat and trophy?

Fly in or hike in? Estimated elevation gains?

Sorry man, your hunt photos just leave me wanting for more information.

Thats a fine goat and way to get after it.

Thanks guys. Todd, season went well the boys knocked down some dandy moose and a couple sheep after you left. 65 was the biggest. Sent you a PM. Want info on you mounting him for me somehow.

The hunt.

I worked as a packer during moose season as I wait on my assistants license to go through. After packing out 5 moose on my back, fleshing 3 moose and a full dall cape, it was time to do it for me:O)
    Day 1.
    I got an air charter in and set up camp. Glassed a load of country, and found a couple I wanted to try for.

Day 2- I seen many goats and went after the one I liked but never caught up with him due to learning the ways of the Chugachs and its dang jungle of Alders. I have decided I hate Alders.

Day 3- Raining like crazy and serious winds. Glassed from down low but never found the goat I wanted.

Day 4- I got on the goat I wanted and snuck in to 250. Waited him out until he stood and when he stood up, boom. I thought I knocked him to the dirt as I thought I seen him fall backwards when I shot. After the shot 3 other goats bounce up the hill that were bedded in the ledge back that I couldnt see from below. It took me 1.5 hours to go through the tangles and climb up to where he was as I had to go around unclimbable terrain. When I got up on top of the cliff and look over to the loedge below and nothing. I look around the upper area for blood or any sign and nothing. Its about dark now so I will hit it at first light.

Day 5- Climb up and then down onto the ledge he was on. Not a hide, hair or drop of blood. I then realize the are he escaped from, nothing there either. At this point I am sick and then realize a bullet mark in the cliff 2 feet above where he was when I shot. What the heck!! Well, my dumb butt didnt check my bases at the shot and the dang alders loosened my detachable scope. Fix it and trudge on. I hike up in search of him and cut a good track way up high at the snow line going up into the rocks and cliffs. Fresh as can be. Woo hoo, hes going to the hills. I get to glassing and find him up on the lower end of the rocks which is 3/4 of the way up the mountain. I pick my route and at this point dont have any choice but to go right at him as he can already see me. As I was going, I notice he is going higher with every 100 yards I get closer. I finally get to an are where I can get out of sight and decided to turn my helly impertect iside out as its white and see if that would help. As I came out of the draw and into sight he was standing looking down towards me. Hes 1000 yards away. I keep moving closer and he doesnt budge. Just stares at me the whole time. I got into 400 yards and with the angle my range finder said aim for 320. He is facing at me looking down and I hes getting nervous. I figure I will drop him when he turns. When he steps down, to turn he is gone. I freak, and recall someone on here saying "BAAAHHH" to a goaty before and give it a try. haha, hes back up looking for it. I decide to take him striaght through the chest down low and it would thread through and grab a good hit o the upward angle the bullet would go. Aim, hold steady, boom. Goat goes down. He gets up and hobbles to the left. Work the bolt and find him, aim and click. Nothing. What the heck!! Look down and open the bolt, no bullet loaded, push her forward and bring it up to find him and hes gone. I short jacked my rifle ejecting the shell but never putting another in. Climb up and find where he stood. Hair everywhere. Go 20 yards and blood. Followed him for 100 yards and he dropped down into a gully and crossed ito the next finger coming down of rocks. At this point, I need to go down and around to get to where he went due to the scetchy area and being alone with not a soul knowing exactly where I was. I noticed where he fell 3 times going across the 75 yard gully so figured him as good as dead. Knowing it would take a couple hours to get down to camp again, I decided it was safer to start at first light up on the rocks and snow then doing it in the dark.

Day 7- Get up there after a 4 hour hike up and find nothing. Search all day all over the rocks and cliffs. Zigging and zagging like a drunken salor across the toughest hill I have ever been in and nothing dead, no goat wounded, nadda. No tracks or blood to be found due to the wind blown snows so my heart sank. Was sick to my stomache and go down to camp lost as to what I should do. My aircharter was picking me up and I needed to be down to meet him. I explain to him I have a goat hit and cant find it yet and I wasnt leaving until I knew he was in my pack or fine crawling the hills. He says ok and I had him fly me over head to see if we could locate it down in the rocks. Nothing to be seen, no goat around. We get down and I decide to pack a camp and hike up and set camp, look all day friday and all day saturday if needed, pick me up on Sunday.

Day 8- up with a full pack and hiking the hill before light. After getting up to the midway point and finding the area I wanted to set up camp. Offload the gear and grab pack and rifle and head for the rocks. I got up about 600 yards from camp area and see a goat in the brush trying to get up. When he does I see his leg is hurt and he cant walk well. Its him!! Drop, estimate 250, aim, shoot. Dead goat. He rolled a aways and stopped. Woo HOO!! Literally got an overwelming feeling of excitement and run up the hill as if I didnt climb all week and burn up my legs:O) Got to him and realize what happened. I adjusted for my elevation perfect but never considered in the wind enough. It pushed me off a bit of aim on the first shot and wounded him not killing him. He fell due to the leg being broke and the snow. Anyways, he was mine. Dragged him for a perfect picture to send to my folks back east and did all the dirty work. Decided straight down was best like a fool and off I went. Grabbed camp and started down the hill. Lowered my gun and camp, then pack with meat, then goat pelt in 2 areas that I knew I could climb with a gun, but not a whole goat and whole full body pelt down and a fart sack and bivi hangin off the lower end. Repack the pack both times and trudge on. Get down and now I have to negotiate the rocky shoreline of the river. Up and down rock ledges and I was done. Its now 1030 at night and I got a mile to go. Catche the pelt and a couple articles of clothes. and walk into camp. Eat some freeze dried and sleep like a baby.

Day 9- up at light and headed for my pelt and head. Grabbed it, came back to camp and broke camp down as I seen the aircharter fly over and thought he saw me on the river with my full pack but he didnt. Expecting him back I decide to sit and flesh my trophy and get it ready for tannery. Picked up at 6 PM and that was my hunt.

Truly the most rewarding but toughest hunt I have ever done. A blessing to have him in my tummy and on my wall:O) Before I left, I told the others I would see them next fall after moose was through:O)
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

It sounds like you had an amazing hunt. Congrats on a great goat

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Congrats on finding him. I really respect the fact that you put the work into finding him. It's a trajedy when something like that happens and people give up. Ethics say a lot about a person, and the fact that you manned up is commendable. Hopefully that was a good lessons learned. Sounds like you had quite an adventure. I know some people will probably bash the way things happened but all in all, it sounds like you took from it what you had to and kept on rolling. Congrats again!

Perhaps it's time to change the forum name to Mountain Bloodhound!! Way to stay after it, tenacity certainly paid off and gave the animal the respect that it deserves. Many a lesser man would have called it a "miss" and gone back to hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Perhaps it's time to change the forum name to Mountain Bloodhound!! Way to stay after it, tenacity certainly paid off and gave the animal the respect that it deserves. Many a lesser man would have called it a "miss" and gone back to hunting.
    Perhaps points well taken. Initially was bothered that the animal remained wounded on the mountain side for three days. But, guess that really isn't that long - only about 72 hours. The first goat shot at probably heard the bullet coming and "just hit the ground" to avoid being hit.
    Hopefully the OP will post the name of the guide that recommended him for his assistant guide license. Surely many hunters being guided would like to duplicate the described hunt.
    Little wonder hunters we are so often held in such low estime.
    Joe (Ak)

Man you are a true sportsman!!!Not trying to hijack your report but your hunt brings back a few memorys of a couple of hunts I have been on.The first one was my second sheep hunt I have ever been on.I had a nice full curl in sight at 400 yrds,I snuck up to him but ran out of cover at 200yrds but run out of cover.I decided to take the shot at the ram who was laying on a big boulder that had a sheer drop of on all sides,only enough space for him to lay on.Well I had a my first case of sheep fever,this being my first ram in my sights.I was shooting a ruger #1 30-06 that I shot alot and knew I could make the shot.Well I pulled the trigger and seen the ram fall off the boulder.Man I was jumping for joy thinking I just got my first full curl while my two brothers and dad sat at camp that morning at camp.Well after a brutal climb to were I thought my ram was I got underneth that boulder and he wasn't there!My heart didn't sink it was in my throat!I couldn't breath and found myself hyperventilating.I sat down to tame my nerves,and searched all around that boulder for hair or blood.Finally I got up top of the bolder were he was perched and nothing.All of the sudden I heard some rocks falling and looked to were they were and seen the ram about 1000ft above me alive and well.I still don't know to this day how a beded ram made that move off that rock,I mean he looked like he was hit,I know that fall had to hurt but was able to elude me.

The other hunt was for a goat hunt.I was hunting with a highschool buddie who I thought was a good hunter.We only been duck hunting before this hunt and thought he was a good sportsman.Well we hiked into are area we planed to hunt.Bye then I knew he was spent,I decided to go scout the area after we set camp that evening and he said he was hungry.Well some weather blew in and a bunch of snow fell when I was a ways from camp I spoted some goats and was busy studying them when I relized I was short of time.I ended up finding camp in the dark thank god,and when I unzipped the tent door the dummy was in his bag saying I was just Gona go look for you.Well the next morning we woke up and headed for the goats I seen the night before.After a few hours we were on them and there was only one Billy in the few of them.Me already takeing a goat I let the dummy shoot.He made a good shot I thought at the time rolling him out of his bed.We finally got to were he was and there was no blood or hair.I could see the marks were his big bodie made some marks in the shale when he fell.We followed them down to were we lost them.There was a goat trail below were he fell and I followed it up the valley when I found the lone specks of blood that had air bubbles in it.I showed this to the dummy and he thought it must have been a wound from his fall and that he missed.After a argument and me telling him he must not have ever trailed a wounded animal,he went up looking for the other goats that fled uphill.I didn't give up though and looked all day for him.After I almost gave up I sat down to eat a little food when all of the sudden I looked down the cliff I was on and seen a goat.I got the binos on him and seen blood on his white fur and got ready for the shot.I pulled the trigger and 8hrs later his wounded goat that he missed was down.After dressing him it was close to dark so a stashed the meat and horns to pick up the next day,I headed really angry towards camp.I cooled off by time I got there,I really wanted to clobber him but I didn't.When he seen me all bloody he asked if i got one.That's when I lost it,I just spent a whole day trailing his wounded goat butchered him myself and this dummy was at the tent before me!!the next day we broke camp went and got the goat and hiked out not saying a word the whole time even on the ride back to anchorage.The first words were when I dropped him off at his house and he said well I guess you earned this goat and took his load of meat out of his bag and that is the last time we talked.

My hats off to you sir.I sure wish every hunter was more like you.A true sportsman will never give up looking for a wounded game animal,and your persistence paid off.Nice job on your first year hunting this great state,I have a feeling your not done yet!You should think about chaseing the white sheep,when you get one of them in your hands there is nothing like it, when you finally catch it,there is no cure for the sheep bug!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast