Thread: hunting in alaska with leverlution?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default hunting in alaska with leverlution?

After i dropped my moose this year with my 300 win it needed a kill shot after we walked upon it. I used my 45-70 with 345 grain leverlution that my Buddy was borrowing for the day. Shot was at 10 feet to the neck and the round produced a large hole and lots of blood. The moose died in the next minute. Now the alarming thing is that that round was recovered and did not seem to hit any bone. Seperated from the brass and mushroomed well although it seems as a piece of the lead seperated from the main body of the round but not much penetration for a shot that close. I dont see his ammo as a good choice for much game up here in alaska besides deer. Any other opinions out there or hunting experiance with this ammo?

Speaking in general terms, terminal bullet performance cannot be assessed from a single shot at 10 feet. (i.e. one event does not make a trend)

Every bullet made has an optimum performance envelope. My guess is the 345gr Lever-revolution slug you recovered was designed to deliver maximum performance at around 100 yards with the window being in the 50 to 150 yard range. Also, if you use anything, usually, outside the conditions for which it was built, it will fail.

Going back to your coup de gras', most rifle bullets blowup at 10 feet. The manufacturer's assumption is you will be shooting at much farther distances and they design accordingly.

JM2C
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I'm going to have to agree with Erik.

Took a musk ox with it last year from 30 yards and not much left of the bullet when recovered. Was a bit dissappointed with it's retention, but I believe at that range they are plenty effective (as TOTAL absorbtion of force was obtained) but would be better suited for a little more distance.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

had a client shoot a grizz at 200 yards with 444 marlin..good hits, exit wounds all the way around. worked well.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Intresting....i just bought a box of buffalo bore in 350 grain in case i end up goin after a grizz up north. Still have a box and a half of the leverlution. Maybe ill try some hundred yard penetration tests.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    had a client shoot a grizz at 200 yards with 444 marlin..good hits, exit wounds all the way around. worked well.
    200 yrds with a lever gun ehh, I have played with my 444 a bit, mostly 300 grain hard cast. Do you remember what he was shooting? Nice to hear that it worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Do you know what ammunition the client was using in his 444?

I've used Hornady 265 flex tips for moose, but don't think I'd try that for grizz. I was looking at 335 grain Buffalo Bores or handloading some 330 grain bullets from Beartooth.

Tim

At that close of a range the velocity was much higher than what it would be at 100 yards. If they made a bullet to hold together and not expand so much at a 10yard velocity than when it hits at 100 yards traveling a lot slower it would not expand enough.

The LE bullets from Hornady are very light jacketed and tend to overexpand and come apart in my little experience with the 325gr .458. I autopsyed a black bear taken with them this spring and while it was a quick kill there were bullet fragments, both core and jacket all over the place. I have sectioned some of them and am not impressed, they will probably be fine for deer or black bear and caribou, but that's about as far as I am willin to trust them.

i killed a grizzly at 120 yards with my thirty thirty shooting the leverlution bullets by hornady...first shot through the shoulder dumped him and second shot in the neck ended it. ive also killed a handful of boo with the same gun...same ammo...seems to work great!
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Out2Pasture View Post
    At that close of a range the velocity was much higher than what it would be at 100 yards. If they made a bullet to hold together and not expand so much at a 10yard velocity than when it hits at 100 yards traveling a lot slower it would not expand enough.
    Yup.

A lot of bullets in a lot of different cartridges will expand more than we would like at close range. It's because of the velocity difference. Bullets are way more likely to blow up at close range

It's an argument for, heavy for caliber bullets, those with high SDs, and moderate velocity.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Last year I took a deer and black bear with the 325LE 45/70 both fifty or a little less in yards and both pass through.I did find the red tip in the bear
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My son took his first moose with a 30-30 using leverevolution. 50 yards 1 shot. The bull walked 20 yards and died. The lungs were completely destroyed. The bullet ended up in the off side shoulder.
    It is nice to know that there are "ALASKANS" out there, no matter where they live.

I shot a Caribou last month using Hornady's 45/70 Leverloution ammo. Caribou was around 100 yards Shot was behind front shoulder[high] one shot,dropped in its tracks..........Jim

I to shot a caribou this fall with my 45/70 and Hornady's FXT 325gr at approx 275-300 yards. Worked as advertised. No problems. Also this spring at break up I shot a water logged cotton wood log at 30 yards an cut it back till I found the bullet. I had 17 inches of penatration text book mushroom and maintained 255gr.

Quote Originally Posted by artichunter4570 View Post
    this spring at break up I shot a water logged cotton wood log at 30 yards an cut it back till I found the bullet. I had 17 inches of penatration text book mushroom and maintained 255gr.
    How do you field dress one of those and how does it taste?

If you are looking for a close range show stopper check out Garrett ammo. He makes some devastating 45-70 ammo

When I'm using my 45-70 I've got the 430 grain HC from Buffalo Bore. Granted they aren't for the longer ranges but I know they will hold together regardless of how close I am. I've shot several moose over the years and none over about 80 yards. My son's moose this year was probably 75 yards. So for bears or moose I'm good with that round.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    How do you field dress one of those and how does it taste?
    Cut it into chunks with a hatchet or tommyhawk.

Boil it, and it oughta taste like spunk water.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

hi akriverrat; i have taken two elk with my .35 remington guide gun and leverevolution ammunition, and couldn't be happier. last year @ 217 yards, complete pass through, elk walked a few steps and went down. year before that, @ 248 yards, complete pass through, the elk rolled at the shot then ran 60 yards and piled up dead.
    amazing performance with great ammunition.
    happy trails.
    jh