Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: off the grid wanted

Default off the grid wanted

im from ohio and used to lots of snow from the lake erie snow machine,and im looking in to trying to find a old trapper cabin or fixer upper cabin or even just some two to five aker peace of remote land to build my own little place to call home and want it close to lake or river, im not sure where to look but i know i want something away form city and lots of pepole,im not a dreamer i set my mind to something and get it done,mabey north of fairbanks area,and if i need more money,then i can look for a cdl,trucking job in the area,if they have trucks there,well thats the start,of my new dream,and thanks for you help.

Snow will be the least of your worries up north of FBX. Severe cold and darkness will be a much bigger challenge! We usually get 6 or so threads just like this each year and so far I am not aware of a single one actually making it happen. So there is a goal for you I guess, perhaps you can be the "first".

I have some questions for you:

What do you mean by off the grid? Off the power grid? Off the Road system?
    What kind of transportation do you want to have to bring in supplies? Boat, Truck, Plane, ATV, Snowmachine?
    Have you built a home before?
    What are you going to do for $$? If you are off the grid how are you going to get to work if you do the trucking thing?
    Have you ever been to AK?
    Have you ever been in -60* weather?
    Do you know how to do your own vehicle repairs?
    Do you have any idea how much remote land or cabins in AK costs?

Basically it isn't all together clear what you want as far as assistance, there are lots of people here with vast amounts of knowledge but without knowing your skill sets and desires there isn't much anyone will be able to do beyond say good luck.

That said, let me be the first: Good Luck!!

well im just starting to get into the back ground checks,on where to start,first off im a hands on self tought type of a man and i just got done putting a new cam and lifiters in my ford ranger that i had to remove everything on the motor to do it no easy jobe,but got it done,and i have hunted and fished all my life,and trapped, no i have never built a house,but have built barns sheds decks and know how to plum and wire so im sure i can logs down and figure out how to put them together,i have alot of street smarts and im not saying it will be easy,and no -60 but seen -35to40.here and drove truck in the ice in the mountains,im not looking to live ice land just off the beating path were i can kill meat and smoke fish and warm cabin with wood,and i do have a boat,but it will sell not going to bring a bass boat there will buy a little alumin or what ever fits my needs, not sure on the price of land but have looked at some on the comp, but i have to sell the house and lots of home contents, im not afraid of work and i look at it this way if your makeing it there and all the other that live in alaska im sure i can too,it will take some getting use to.but what about money well mabey find a job,and a place to get out of the rain trap,and save up money to get all i need to buy the land ,not all land in alaska is sky high,in price the market is at a all time low.and i have faith in myself and my drive to make it happen one way or another, i dont need tv or running water or gas heat ;food in the belly and roof over my head and wood in the stove, this is the things we all need .so in short,im looking to get help and in sight on this and in my heart and mind its do able,

hey markfish1,sounds like you got an idea of what you want to do, now form a plan as to how your going to reach your goal, i would suggest makeing a couple trips to ak & check things out for yourself roundtrip plane tickets from ohio to ak should run you bout $500-$600 then rent a car & drive to the population areas check out the job scene, realestate, anything that will be of importance to you & the lifestyle that your trying to obtain, 1st & foremost your gonna need a job unless your independently wealthy as any nestegg you have saved will run out, 2nd a place to live, most rentals go for $1000/mo or more + deposit though you may find a dry cabin (no water ) for as little as $500/mo, also if your a trustworthy individual you may stumble into a caretaker/house sitter opportunity as alot of people go outside for the winter months, but these 2 necesseties in life will at least give you a taste of what living in alaska is really like once you get here & give you the time & chance to meet people & make contacts with someone who may point/guide you in the right direction. just be sure you have a plan as a decision like this is best made with a safety net or a backup plan-B as it sounds like you have your mind made up you just need to make that leap of faith, & just grow yourself a "SET" and git after it, most people who go to alaska with romantic ideas only stay about a yr & then get out & go back to where they came from as the winter,cold,solitude,or the dreaded (SADS) seasonal aclimate disorder syndrome/lack of sunlight gets you, dont be that guy who goes back home & have your family & friends who all said you were crazy say " i told you so & i knew you'd be back " for the most part they're just jealous cause you had the stones to follow your dreams & make it happen while they're just stuck in their boreing life, good luck to you & may you have the perseverance to see it through till you achieve your goal, & when you have your cabin built send me a pm & i'll come & share a cup of coffee with you around your campfire.

I'd think he needs to get into an outlying "cities"-- tok, delta jct. , Salcha, chickaloon. Anything small, but big enough to find a job and buy supplies if he cant make them himself. Good luck to you-let us know what you decide.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

predatorhunt and ret25yo,i want to say thank you both for your insight,and your right i need to make a trip or two up there its just so big were dose one start,thats why i joined for good men like yourself to help me in the right direction.in the small towns you speek of ret25 are there driveing jobs,or maintenice type jobs,im good at alot of things,and my ant,moved to fairbanks back in the late 70s and stayed there 10yr,and she lived, but my needs are more along the line of getting out and liveing of the land,is there people that live the land with very little help from the out side,and the land that i want needs tobe close to water and trees for cabin,is this still do able up there or is all the land owned by the goverment,i look at there site the land auction and over the counter,but it dont sound good to me they have to much say on what you can and can not do on that land,i want my own without tax even better,but this is going to take alot of time,i have looked at some lake cabins prop,at 65.000 and said acess plain snow or machine i think it was trapper lake,

it seems to me that you should start your search around the Delta Junction area,large enough to find work yet small enough to not feel like your in the big city, could possibly land a maintenance/driving job perhaps runs up to fairbanks & returns also look into Fort Greely, if it's the subsistence lifestyle your after well its possible to live sort of that way still but there's alot of regs you'll need to look into before jumping off the map,building a cabin & shooting game anytime your hungry, so here's my suggestion to you, come up here for a scouting trip, buy a few acres of land outta town but still on a road system close to a river,there may be laws pertaining to cutting trees pending on where your at if so not a problem either buy a cabin kit & build it yourself,purchase a lot with a cabin already on it or put in pilons & frame build your cabin, next buy all your hunting/fishing liscences & stock up your pantry when the fish & game are in season & passing through, your just 1man so 1 moose will surely see you through a years supply of meat so be neighborly & donate what you cant use as the average man consumes aprox 230-275lbs of meat in a year & you'll supplement your meats with fish,fowl, learn how to can vegetables & process/preserve meat, get whatever wood cutting permits from the state & lay in your winters supply of wood, burned areas are good places to cut your wood as within a few years you'll have cut all the trees on your own few acres of private land that you purchased, by the way birch has 1 of the highest BTU outputs, so you should be able to have your own little slice of paradise if you find your job,buy your few acres,build your cabin,learn some basic skills regarding food preserving,cut plenty of firewood,hunt & fish in season & stock your freezer with game when it's plentiful, meaning when the caribou move through harvest them if you have the permit, when the salmon,grayling,dollys,reds whatever fish is running in the river sock away the fish, same goes for the fowl, alaska is the land of plenty but only for brief periods of time ea year, i've only slightly scratched the surface but going this route you should be able to acomplish you selfreliant lifestyle, the feds make it harder ea year to do the subsistance thing if they even still allow it & until you become a resident your not eligable for the land auction stakeing program so the purchase of a private piece of ground is your only option, law states your not a resident till you've lived in alaska for 1 calander yr & maintain that as your primary residence & that is where you file your yearly income taxes, again good luck & follow your dreams, no dont just follow them but chase them down with great vigor & determination.

Default predatorhunt

well this is all very helpful and ido thank you for takeing the time to break it down abit for me well right now im teachingmyself how to cold smoke built it myself,and smoked some walleyes and peppers and this summer i canned tomatoes and sause and hot peppers,now i half to learn how to can wild meat, this area delta junction,you spoke about were is it located,and you said about cutting fire wood permits are there tracks of land you can buy and not be aloud to cut the wood,IM SORRY a bit lost there,and your right 2 pepole cant eat a hole moose.and i wouild give to needy and hungry pepole every year dering deer season down here i donaite half of my kill to soup kitchens and food banks.all cut and packaged,do you have a hint of the land price in that delta jun,or the fort greely area.and i wouild love to find some thing that has a cabin on it that needs work and when its dark up there when dose that start,and how long dose it last, well i do have alot to learn but im going to be on this computer all winter to reserch,as much as i can on you great state hell mabey ill find a ton of gold,ha ha,will take some more later thanks a bunch,markfish

markfish1 I have 5 acres on Latouche Island that would be ideal for you. Tons of deer, bear, salmon, halibut etc. Theres a runway w/in walking distance, and cell service. I'd be willing to finance. If you're wondering why I'm overzealous its because I'm in the process of building a lake home and I'm broke, in a nutshell

Did I mention more gold came out of PWS than anywhere else in Ak or the US for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by predatorhuntr01 View Post
    hey markfish1,sounds like you got an idea of what you want to do, now form a plan as to how your going to reach your goal, i would suggest makeing a couple trips to ak & check things out for yourself roundtrip plane tickets from ohio to ak should run you bout $500-$600 then rent a car & drive to the population areas check out the job scene, realestate, anything that will be of importance to you & the lifestyle that your trying to obtain, 1st & foremost your gonna need a job unless your independently wealthy as any nestegg you have saved will run out, 2nd a place to live, most rentals go for $1000/mo or more + deposit though you may find a dry cabin (no water ) for as little as $500/mo, also if your a trustworthy individual you may stumble into a caretaker/house sitter opportunity as alot of people go outside for the winter months, but these 2 necesseties in life will at least give you a taste of what living in alaska is really like once you get here & give you the time & chance to meet people & make contacts with someone who may point/guide you in the right direction. just be sure you have a plan as a decision like this is best made with a safety net or a backup plan-B as it sounds like you have your mind made up you just need to make that leap of faith, & just grow yourself a "SET" and git after it, most people who go to alaska with romantic ideas only stay about a yr & then get out & go back to where they came from as the winter,cold,solitude,or the dreaded (SADS) seasonal aclimate disorder syndrome/lack of sunlight gets you, dont be that guy who goes back home & have your family & friends who all said you were crazy say " i told you so & i knew you'd be back " for the most part they're just jealous cause you had the stones to follow your dreams & make it happen while they're just stuck in their boreing life, good luck to you & may you have the perseverance to see it through till you achieve your goal, & when you have your cabin built send me a pm & i'll come & share a cup of coffee with you around your campfire.
    Where do you get your plane tickets? My parents live in Ohio and I usually go there once a year or they come here the cheapest we have EVER found from Fairbanks to Cincinnati was 795 and that was combined with airline miles they are usually around 1000 and go all the way to 2000 during peak times ( christmas, 4th of july). I know you can get them for alot cheaper out of anchorage but by the time you drive there and back and probably get a hotel at least on the way there or back because the last thing I want to do after 12 hours of flying is drive another 7 just to get home I would of been better off flying from Fairbanks. Oh and I hate Anchorage way too much traffic and confusing 1 way roads lol. I like to avoid it like the plague.

fullbush is your land by fresh water and is there trees for cabin or is there some type of cabin on it ,whats your asking price,thanks markfish.

Quote Originally Posted by markfish1 View Post
    fullbush is your land by fresh water and is there trees for cabin or is there some type of cabin on it ,whats your asking price,thanks markfish.
    yep theres a waterfall that flows year round that would support hydro-electric and theres also a lake. I'm not sure what its worth but I'm sure not over 50k. Its about the 200ft level maybe 5 lots from the beach. Yes theres trees Hemlocks and spruce

ok thanks im looking for something a bit cheeper dont want to drop 50.000 in land then half to build to but it sounds like a very nice peace of land, thanks for the help,markfish

check out this site:

http://alaskaslist.com/

lots of land about everywhere you can wish in AK.
    All price levels.Mid-kenai is a source for low end prices, moose, bear & fish.

thats a good place to start looking thanks markfish1

And then again it is hard to go wrong with
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/otc/index.cfm
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

i looked into this and it seems to have to many restrictions that i dont care for the goverment land has to much say in what you can or cat do on the land,im more into owning a peace of land were i dont need permits for cabin building and out house and no propety tax, just a place to call home and,its out there i just half to find it,im in no hurry, even a old fixer cabin with 5 or more acers and running creek or river or lake close by,and out in the wild,

yeah with abundant game, good fishing, big timber for house building, close drive to a town, year round open spring for drinking water, good trapping and no neighboors. oh yeah and cheap.
    let us know when you find it.

Quote Originally Posted by oka in ak View Post
    yeah with abundant game, good fishing, big timber for house building, close drive to a town, year round open spring for drinking water, good trapping and no neighboors. oh yeah and cheap.
    let us know when you find it.
    This pretty much nails it. What your looking for simply don't exist. The Gov't is in everything even in the "last frontier". If you want to nail 2 sticks together ya gotta get permission these days.

There is always a reason that cheap land is cheap........There is always a reason that expensive land is expensive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast