Thread: A little shout out to the Mountaineering grads/ Northern Warfare Training Center

Default A little shout out to the Mountaineering grads/ Northern Warfare Training Center

Graduated back in 06, and later did the winter course in 07. Anybody do the B.M.C course? In 07 we were testing out a stove made by MSR that used diesel fuel. After graduating from the course (only about 50% of us)......we all got lab rat cards from O.R. for half cost purchases. Most guys got gigged for safety violations or not setting and dressing every knot that was taught. The navigation course was h e l l on boots. Learned to really follow that darned altimeter while we rushed all over that mountain side finding those grid coordinates. I remember the best saying I heard all course long from a Special Forces soldier who failed out: "I'd rather go through selection 10 times over before I'd ever take this f@#k## course again."

For future reference.......this stuff transfers over as college credit too, towards an outdoor studies degree or even a minor.

It was good times and last I heard.....they were going to make the winter and summer course a skill identifier badge as a Dall Ram's head which would be worn like a set of Airborne wings. If you graduated both the summer and winter course.....it went on your ERB/ORB/DD214 as a skill identifier code tied on your MOS or job title.

I miss the one-rope bridge, the crevasse rescue, prusik ascent, suspension traverse, "the dip", the glacial river crossing(not!), and camping out on that glacial moraine.

Here's a link to NWTC, I'm in the B.M.C pics holding the camera during the glacial river crossing......right before my nutsack climbed up somewhere in my abdomen to escape the freaking ice cold water:
    http://www.wainwright.army.mil/nwtc/history.htm

Speak up if you're out there fellow mountaineers.........

Mountaineering Course Symbol.gif

akguy454 was an instructor there around those dates... should send him a shout

I used to ge an instructor there. Had a great time. I helped design and make the land nav coarse. Gotta say I don't miss the river crossing. Some of my fellow instructors at that time are civilian employees there now. Decker and Slingerland. They are having a b-day party soon and I was called to attend. There are very few who go thru the winter and summer coarse. Even fewer that were instructors. Nice to here you had a good time.

Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by akguy454 View Post
    I used to ge an instructor there. Had a great time. I helped design and make the land nav coarse. Gotta say I don't miss the river crossing. Some of my fellow instructors at that time are civilian employees there now. Decker and Slingerland. They are having a b-day party soon and I was called to attend. There are very few who go thru the winter and summer coarse. Even fewer that were instructors. Nice to here you had a good time.

Robbie
    Good times man,
    I remember those two civilian dudes, one of them (the bearded one) made a fkn hilarious joke dogging on all of the Army dudes who display their whole ERB on the back windows of their pick-up trucks (self promotion). He had the whole class laughing. I'm not in anymore but still continue to climb at my university when I get the chance. Have fun at the B-day party if you go. Tell them I was the one who staked out land south of Gulkana River.

Just left Black Rapids yesterday. CWOC was fun. First thing I did today was go replace half my issue gear with OR products....

Just seen this thread. I attended every course I could at NWTC: Glacier Training, Assault Climbers Course, Inland Waterways Course and both Instructors Qualification Courses summer and winter phase, back in the stone age when it was hard. Always had a great time, many fond memories of Black Rapids, Black Rapids Lodge, generator hill, Gunnysack mountain, Delta River, Tananna River, Black Rapids and Gulkana Glaciers. Went thru when it was quonsett huts at Black Rapids. When I came back to Alaska even had to attend some lame mandatory cold weather indoctination course there (of course the facilities had improved immensely). Learned a lot in those early Army courses despite the primitive issue climbing and skiing gear. It was my dream assignment to have been fortunate enough to have been stationed at NWTC as an instructor and a member of the High Attitude Rescue Team, but, alas it wasn't in the cards. TS

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Wow,
    Bringing back memories!!! The river crossings are still firmly lodged in my memory. Went through the mountaineering courses in Jericho VT, Ethan Allen Firing Range in the early 90's. I came up to AK in 93- 96 and attended the courses in Black Rapids. I had a job offer to teach at NWTC and a letter of acceptance .. but big Army saw fit to PCS me out of AK. I am back in AK now, bought a house out in the valley in 06. In the AK guard after a break in service. Still climbing, backcountry skiing/ boarding and hunting/ fishing. (I try to avoid deep wet river crossings) No plans to leave anytime soon.

As for the skill identifier-- It is an ASI -E. Not that it means anything to big Army. The Rams head is awarded if you graduate from both summer and winter courses in Vermont. I got mine in 93- sitting on my dresser. By regulation only Army Guard units of certain New England states can wear it on the uniform. ( If you care bout that kinda stuff)

As for college credit .. It depends on the college. UAA and APU have outdoor studies programs so you will get the most credits.. compared to say.. VT.