Thread: Bullet weight question. 185 vs 210

Default Bullet weight question. 185 vs 210

So I want the best combination for my 338 federal.

With a round that is not screaming fast is it necessary to use a premium bullet like a barnes tsx?

Also I don't know the science behind the rounds but is a 210-225 going to give me a real advantage over a 185gr in this caliber?

Thanks all in advance.

In my opinion there's no reason for a TSX in a .338 Fed.- it just doesn't generate the kind of velocity to warrant such a tough bullet. At 300yds. you're also getting very close to the threshold below which the TSX won't expand much (if at all). It would work but not really superior to a lot of other bullets available at a fraction of the cost.

In the .338 Fed (and .338-06) I think you're in the right spot for the 210 Nosler Partition. Little to no blow up at close range and good expansion out there. I also wouldn't be afraid of good cup and core bullets made by almost everybody in the 200gr weights. The 180gr bullets seem like an attempt to make the .338 Fed into a faster, flatter shooting rifle but I have little experience with them- I just don't see an advantage in the round over a 180gr .30 cal in a .308.

I also don't think the 225gr weights offer any real advantage in the small case as the velocity lags and trajectory starts drooping.

Probably splitting non-existent hairs but the small case and .338 bore seem tailored for the 200-210gr class bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Probably splitting non-existent hairs but the small case and .338 bore seem tailored for the 200-210gr class bullets.
    I haven't even shot the 338 Fed, much less whapped game with it. But based on 40 years of game with its "older cousin" the 358 Winchester, I'll speculate that it's absolutely dandy with a 250 grain bullet. It probably won't even have to be a Nosler to qualify as a great penetrator.

after seeing the performance of the 185gr tsx on moose out of the 338 Federal I don't see any reason to shoot a different bullet out of it. Works very well.

In one of the old Wildcat Cartridges books, vol2 I believe, there is an article about the 33-308. Seems the fellow who designed and had the first one built did it because he came up every year to moose hunt and was run off a moose kill by a grizzly one year. He wanted more gun than the 308 he had been using but didn't want to give up his Win 88,( why he didn't get one in 358 is beyond me) so he had his 88 rebarreled and live happily ever after. But in the article he states multiple times that the round was designed with only one bullet in mind, the 210 Nosler Partition.
    The TSX is a pretty tough bullet and I don't think it will pose any problems at normal ranges but I also don't see monolithic bullets being neccessary for the speeds your talking. I think the 210 NP would be an absolute peach in that chambering and that's what I plan to feed mine when I get it built.

I think that the 210 would be a great choice. That is what I load. I have heard that some of the 338 Fed dont have the right twist to shot heavy bullets, but I don't have one so I can't confirm that. I have been looking at getting one, but I think I would get a 358 in a savage model 99 before I would go with a 338 Fed.

[QUOTE=hodgeman;815441]In my opinion there's no reason for a TSX in a .338 Fed.- it just doesn't generate the kind of velocity to warrant such a tough bullet. At 300yds. you're also getting very close to the threshold below which the TSX won't expand much (if at all). It would work but not really superior to a lot of other bullets available at a fraction of the cost.

In the .338 Fed (and .338-06) I think you're in the right spot for the 210 Nosler Partition. Little to no blow up at close range and good expansion out there. I also wouldn't be afraid of good cup and core bullets made by almost everybody in the 200gr weights. The 180gr bullets seem like an attempt to make the .338 Fed into a faster, flatter shooting rifle but I have little experience with them- I just don't see an advantage in the round over a 180gr .30 cal in a .308.

I've looked hard at the data, and agree. Not that I won't try the 225 Accubonds I bought or the Hornaday 250 RN!

I've loaded some 160 TTSXs for my wife's 338 Federal. My sole purpose was to alleviate some recoil for her sub 7 pound Tikka. I've little doubt that they would serve well in procuring the demise of anything in NA with that rifle. IMO, go light (for caliber) and go fast (the more the merrier) when choosing the monolithic bullets for game-maybe the 185, but give the 160 a look.

In the end, she was very satisfied with the recoil of 225 Interlocks @ 2425 fps. This load provides her with excellent game performance out to 200-225 yards and that is as far as she is comfortable shooting that rifle at big game (primarily moose & caribou). I've 100% confidence in the Interlocks terminal performance in that velocity range and I've a pretty large stash of the 225s that I bought on the cheap some time ago. It's a win-win IMO.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Looking to get my wife another gun she shoots 7mm-08 I have been debating the 338 federal or 338 rcm but don't know how the recoils is on the 338 rcm. I imagine the 338 federal is ***** cat like the 358 Winchester. I like the idea of using the 210 gr partition as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've loaded some 160 TTSXs for my wife's 338 Federal. My sole purpose was to alleviate some recoil for her sub 7 pound Tikka. I've little doubt that they would serve well in procuring the demise of anything in NA with that rifle. IMO, go light (for caliber) and go fast (the more the merrier) when choosing the monolithic bullets for game-maybe the 185, but give the 160 a look.

In the end, she was very satisfied with the recoil of 225 Interlocks @ 2425 fps. This load provides her with excellent game performance out to 200-225 yards and that is as far as she is comfortable shooting that rifle at big game (primarily moose & caribou). I've 100% confidence in the Interlocks terminal performance in that velocity range and I've a pretty large stash of the 225s that I bought on the cheap some time ago. It's a win-win IMO.
    Do you mind sharing your receipe for the 225 Interlocks? Sounds like a good load. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    So I want the best combination for my 338 federal.

With a round that is not screaming fast is it necessary to use a premium bullet like a barnes tsx?

Also I don't know the science behind the rounds but is a 210-225 going to give me a real advantage over a 185gr in this caliber?

Thanks all in advance.
    How about a 200 grainer? Nosler is making that new E-tip in a .338 200 grainer. The polymer tip may encourage more expansion at the lower velocities as opposed to hollow pointed solid such as the fail safe, or x-bullets with all their various monikers. I would think that the 200 grain E-tip would be one heck of a bullet in the 338 federal. Oh yeah, my respect to those of you who choose to hunt with this wonderful cartridge. You're all very practical, and wise beyond words to choose a cartridge like this to hunt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    Do you mind sharing your receipe for the 225 Interlocks? Sounds like a good load. Thanks in advance.
    PM sent.....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.