Thread: Looking for black bears..

Default Looking for black bears..

I've been trying to find a good black bear for about a month now in the Anchorage/Palmer area. I have been out in the Knik river area and found a lot of good sign but haven't seen any yet. I would like to get all the way back to the wolf point/metal creek area but do not have an atv so it is too far of a hike for a day hunt. Is there any other areas around here that are still accessible where anyone has seen black bears?

Check out Hope, plenty of blackies there and you can hunt/glass right off the road....
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-three-per-day.

Thanks I'm checking it out now. I appreciate your help.

No prob, actually there are some good bear hunting locations off the Seward Highway, worth a drive atleast. There probably pretty high up this time of the year tho, it'd be quite a hike.

I can see 3 Black Bears and 1 Brown Bear from Downtown Sunrise, Alaska. (Sunrise is Mile 7.3 to mile 8.3 Hope Road) Bear watched at 3:PM today Sat. Oct. 9'th 2010 Just medium size bears all.

Yeah I definitely think I am going to try out the Hope Rd. I haven't had much luck anywhere else so that is where I am planning on going next. Thanks a lot for your help, I'll let you know how my hunt goes, heading out on Monday.

Try Eklutna lake. It's archery only, but last Wednesday i saw 15 nice black bears on the hillsides on the far end of the lake. Mountain bike back there and hike up after whichever one you want.

gijoe
    You may want to look at 14c black bears and the other Hope road post read through all of these pretty carefully. I wouldnt want to be walking up the side of a mountain in the conditions that are upon us now and mother nature's pms sky rockets. Also unless I scouted or researched the area pretty good I just wouldn't want to up "try" it.

I am not one to just go walking off into a new area without scouting it out first and learning as much as I can about the place first. I have to start somewhere though, but I'm not going to just go out and walk my way into a situation that I can't get out of. Thanks for the info though, I'm sure that a lot of people do actually do that and end up in a bad way.

agreed with rob. Eklutna has pope and young bear up there. Me and a buddy were there lookin for sheep. tried on a blackie that pushed 7 feet. Its a real tough hike, we went for the weekend, and it was grueling but worth it. had a sal n 2 cubs at 40 yards too

HuntAK59,
    Do you need to have the archery certification course to bow hunt out there or not? I haven't had a chance to take the course yet, but I looked in the reg book and it just says bow and arrow only, it doesn't specify if you need the certification for that area.

You need to be IBEP certified for Eklutna, and all archery only hunts I believe.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

That's what I thought but I couldn't find anything for sure in the reg book.

Trouthead is correct, for all archery only hunts you need to have the IBEP cert, all others you do not.

Yeah. But it would be worth it to get it. If you have your cert from another state it will Xfer