Thread: Koyokuk Moose & Beavers!

Default Koyokuk Moose & Beavers!

Did the Koyokuk river moose hunt this year with my wife Rhonda and son Wyatt once again we had a wonderful time! Called in three bulls on the night of the 20th and took this “meat” bull, about 500 yds off the river and maybe 2 miles by boat back to camp. I told Rhonda and Wyatt that we need to get back to camp and grab two lanterns and more flashlights so that we could workup the bull as it was getting dark! She said I will stay here with the moose just leave the gun and our two labs. Wyatt and I took off for camp and returned with lanterns, traps and flashlights in the dark and found Rhonda had shinned almost all of one side of the bull using a headlamp!...... We got done with the bull about 12:30 am

Rhonda shot this bull on the 24th, the bull was standing with a cow above a back slough facing us. I told Rhonda to shoot him in the chest, she shot him right under the chin in the neck dropping him instantly, the bull slid about 20 feet down the hill into the water like he had skids under him!.......O’boy what fun we had!....laffin’…what do ya do now? Well the mud in the slough was so bad we knew if would be tuff working him up there so we tied the bull’s horn to the side of the boat and motored out into the main river to a sand bar. We got that bull at 8:00 pm and didn’t get done with him till 4:00 am the next morning…with the help of lanterns and a good beach fire!

Wyatt worked over a few beavers with the .17 HMR, he wanted to have some tanned and the two labs really liked the cooked beaver meat!....us too!

Nice to see the the family out together. Nice bulls!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

That's a good woman you got there. Can't wait until my family hunts with me, perhaps next year.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Right on! I've been waiting for this hunt report.

Great story and pics...but come on and tell the truth...you used those two labs to retrieve that moose out of the water, right? At least that is how I would tell the story! I see the wife was skinning out the head, were you going for a mount or have you found the missed delight of moose head meat??? Again, great story and pics, your son will have a life time of memories too!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Great story! That HMR is a perfect round for them beaver, the varmint rounds are pretty resistant to ricochet and plenty for head shots.

Great story and wonderful pictures there sir. Put a smile on my face instantly when I see a family getting out on the water like you guys did.

Nothing better than hunting with the family. Congrats on the great trip.

THX you guys!
    Roger45- Rhonda skinned down the jaw so I could cut it off with a saw, have to give the last 5" of the bottom jaw to the F&G
    270ti- how did you guys do?
    Yeah that HMR is the cat meow for them beavers, no pelt damage!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Great story! That HMR is a perfect round for them beaver, the varmint rounds are pretty resistant to ricochet and plenty for head shots.
    Actually Lujon, the varmit rounds "suck" on beaver and head shots. They tend to "blow" up on impact and you will end up losing more beaver. I have found the full metal jacket .17 HMR bullets to be a much better bullet to use on beaver. Have been using the HMR on beaver since 05 and have put a few in the boat. I won't use the varmit rounds on beaver anymore.

Great story and pictures! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like great family fun!

Default Wanted to thank you

I want to thank Ramhunter and your family in helping us get the last of my moose back to camp and off of the steep hill. I'm really glad to see you were successful and hope you had as good as time as we did. It's people like you who make hunting in Alaska fun. Thanks again and I hope Wyatt got caught up in school!

Wasillahunter, thank you!...we got that first bull in the spot that you told us about, also did a lot better thrashing the trees and limbs than calling, as you suggested!.....It was great meeting you guys and I hope our paths cross soon!
    Wyatt has gotten all caught up in school too!

AK Troutbum,
    I tried to private pm you back, but you have exceeded your stored private messages, so you cannot accept any more private pm's!

Congrats on the hunt Dave, looks like you guys had a great time. Did you log boat miles, fuel, etc? How did the SJ do for you?

Did you guys move up to the mainland yet, or are you still on POW? Haven't talked to you in a while.

Hi Jerry,
    Yeah I have pretty much logged, miles and fuel consumption along the way! The SJ has worked out very well for us, that boat is unbelievable in what it will pack weight wise! I love it...........

We moved off POW and to Wasilla in January!, wife loves it, I'm not sure yet about it!....lol
    Are you up now? I need to get over and see you!, I'm here till the 19th.

Dave

what a family event! Love to see and hear that kind of thing. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Dave,

I'm driving back up on the 18th, so I'll be in pretty late, especially if I arrow something along the way. I'm only working about 10 days a month up north now since I've opened up another shop in Fairbanks. Where are you working now?

Thats an awesome family adventure! Good job getting everyone out and having a fun time!