I am doing some calculations and research to see if reloading is the way to go for me, maybe some of you can provide me with a little assistance.
I am starting out wanting to reload for 44 Magnum, 243 Winchester, and 338 Winchester Magnum. Later I would be reloading for 223 Remington, 270 Winchester, 30-06 Springfield, 375 Holland & Holland, 20 ga, 12 ga, 357 Magnum, and possibly anything under the sun. (I could get the bug, you just never know )
As always, thank you for anything you might provide.
- How many shots is a piece of brass good for if one doesn't load for maximum velocity, etc.?
- At what point (# of rounds / year) would a person start to greatly benefit from a turret press?
- What kinds of equipment would you recommend for an anal machinist obsessed with accuracy (as in dimensional accuracy, not necessarily shot/group accuracy) and fine craftsmanship, VS your typical new reloader with no technical background. I have mild OCD and I know it, so if I get into reloading I want to purchase equipment that I wont later want to replace with "the next best thing", what would you recommend?
- I added 12 and 20 ga in the above list because I rarely see anyone talk online about reloading for shotguns, but since I just now getting into this aspect of shooting sports I have the opportunity to make purchases that might benefit rifle, handgun, and possibly shotgun reloading. Any thoughts on what equipment might be better with the knowledge that shotgun reloading might be part of the equation?
- Any words of wisdom you might have that I might not find by searching this forum?