Thread: "Gifting" or Purchasing Wild Game

Default "Gifting" or Purchasing Wild Game

Just wondering what the rules are in Alaska for "Gifting" or Purchasing Wild Game?
    Here in Missouri it is legal (only for "gifting". It is illegal to sell wild game) as long as the person harvesting the product provides a signed statement / receipt.
    I guess why I ask is because I am pretty sure I will not have the opportunity to harvest a moose, bear, or caribou, but am very interested in seeing what it tastes like (I KNOW, I KNOW- It tastes like Chicken!!!)
    Also can the meat (burger or steaks) be bought from a commercial processor? If so, does anyone know of a place in Anchorage, Soldotna, or Homer areas? I will be there July 20 to 30, 2011.
    Thanks.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

game may NOT be sold in ak... by anyone...in any form
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well, now that the selling issues has been solved- does anyone have any moose or caribou that could be gifted to a poor midwest hunter when he comes to Alaska next July?
    (Can't blame me for trying!!!!!!!!)

Although Wild Game meat cannot be bought or sold you can still get domesticated game at several places.
    By this I mean farm raised animals. Many places in alaska sell reindeer (domesticated caribou) burgers and sausages.
    I have found some retaraunts that sell elk and bison burgers as well. You might want to look for these kinds of places when you are here.
    Pm me and I can give you the names of the ones I know.
    BTW sorry but I don't have any wild game to give you myself.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

If you come up here next July, let me know and we'll see what's left in the freezer. Who kows what that will be though. There's moose and caribou there now but July is a long time from now.

I know you can trade game meat/fish/whale under subsistence reg. I have also been told that include trading for money, but you can not sell game meat/fish/whale. Donít ask me to explain what I just said, that was what I was told by F&G, I canít remember if that is limited to only natives or not.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I know you can trade game meat/fish/whale under subsistence reg. I have also been told that include trading for money, but you can not sell game meat/fish/whale. Donít ask me to explain what I just said, that was what I was told by F&G, I canít remember if that is limited to only natives or not.
    "Honest Officer Chumley, I didn't sell the game meat, I traded it...for money". I'll be darned impressed if you can pull that one off!!

"Buying, Selling, or bartering of Game Meat, Except hares; caribou meat may be bartered in Units 22-26 but the bartered caribou meat cannot be taken out of these units." So you can do it up there and I also believe money can be involved.

I believe the way it works under some subsistence regs(Halibut for sure) you can trade/barter with it. For halibut there is a $400 Annual limit and it must be traded for gas gear etc. It cannot be allowed to enter into commerce.
    Why is someone always ready to push the rules/regs to the limit?
    Still why not just ask again before your trip and maybe someone will invite you over for a BBQ ?
    I am sure there is a forum member who would have enough game that you could have a meal anyways.You won't probably get enough to take a any home but it seems that isn't what you are after.
    Reindeer (domesticated caribou) can be bought at many different places in Alaska And is pretty tasty too.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The way I understand it is that you may -gift- (give) processed wild game to -anyone- you choose.

If a person's crossing a federal border, they may (technically) be asked to fill out a wild game exportation form (I forget the OMB paperwork reduction act # on the form), but Customs Officers, like many other bureaucrats, hate doing any additional paperwork, especially for a small amount of game meat or fish, and I can say that, despite MANY crossings into Canada, I've never been asked to fill one out when taking moose or fish to the Yukon Territory with me to visit friends.

If you're given wild game meat -before- it's been processed, there's a game meat transfer form in the hunting regs that covers this. (i.e., if my friend wants to give me a whole hind-quarter of moose, then he is 'legally required' to fill out the referenced form provided in the regs re. 'transfer of wild game meat,' and the form lists a multiple choice of possible parts and pieces the average critter would have, such as 'hind-quarter,' etc., with a box to check next to each general description) Failing to fill out this form may result in the recipient having to at least do some explaining to an inquiring LEO, or even potentially result in a poaching charge.

But the form I referenced ONLY applies to unprocessed game meat. -Proccessed- game may be simply given away.

'Personal use' fish (i.e., dip-netted salmon) are a gray area. The regs say these fish are intended only for the family/person netting them, but many persons in this State, especially following a successful harvest, traditionally give fish away, and I've -never- heard of anyone being hassled over it.

Heck, one local politician even served dip-netted Chitina reds at a fund-raiser, and advertised it as such, and when the opposition's supporters raised a stink about it they were more or less ignored, other than to be properly chastised for their pettiness.

(*Now that my answer's complete, can someone tell me how to make my computer cease using the font it's using??)