Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New motor time

Smile New motor time

It is time to repower my 1991 Sea Sport. The Chevy/Volvo 305 has almost 1400hrs on it and has been failing the last few seasonal compression tests. Last year it was due, this year its past due. It will be replaced with a 350 Merc-cruiser partial, I'll keep the risers/manifolds, heat exchanger, alternator, other items. The block, carb, maybe starter, electrical, will be new. This "new one" is a remanufactuered from Merc, with full warranty.

I'm pleased I was able to milk the hell out of the original motor, she was always reliable, but burned gas like crazy, it's time!
    It will be exciting to see what the top speed is and how much fuel it burns compared to the old motor, not so exciting about how much it will cost.

If you have any storys good or bad about your repower experience post em' I'd love to here about it.

I repowered my 1979 Glasply a few years ago, I don't know how many hours the Volvo 305 had on it, but I could tell it was tired, so I repowered with a marine power 350 fuel injected. The motor came complete and ready to drop in, which turned out to be a pretty easy job, I did all the work my self. The motor has 250 hours on it and still runs great, I am now taking that engine out of that boat and installing it in another boat I bought that is twin screws, I bought another marine power 350 for the port side, both engines are sitting in my garage right now, I will install them in the spring.

I seen a set of Styer diesels in Wasilla I believe for CHEAP.Craigslist

Not to throw a monkey wrench in your project but you may find an accessories bracket or two that may need to be changed to fit the 350. Also as I remember the dampner, crank pulley and fly wheels use to be a little different. The motor mounts and flywheel housing are good to go.

If you have not had the risers/manifolds changed or cleaned in a while I would look at having them boiled out if in good shape. If your starter is a bear to get at when the engine is installed or has not been updated in awhile, then don't wait change it, as now you will have a engine with compression and a bunch of room to work with.

If shade treeing it out and back in the biggest thing I have run into was getting the engine high enough to clear the side of the boat. Take a good height measurement and then add a good foot, plus. Also spend the money for good lumber to place in the trees and secure it to the trees good as birch, even old growth, tend to bend.

Take a good look at your wiring harnesses while things are apart. Replace and repair any pieces that are suspect. Clean the bilge real well. Find all the lost items from over the years. Do some corrision maintenance.

Last but not least patience and don't rush.

I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but have you considered putting on a transom extension and going with outboards?

It'd sure free up a lot of deck/underdeck space. And you might get better gas mileage - which would eventually help pay for the changeover.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    I'm probably showing my ignorance here, but have you considered putting on a transom extension and going with outboards?

It'd sure free up a lot of deck/underdeck space. And you might get better gas mileage - which would eventually help pay for the changeover.
    The seasports I have seen have plenty of deckspace because the deck is raised and the motor sits under it, so I would think that putting outboards on would actually create less space, because you couldn't fish directly out of the back, jmo

Default New Flywheel is needed...

Dupont, thanks for the info, all good stuff, yes, the flywheel is needed and my next move is the riser/manifold clean up for sure. Oh the treasures I might find in the bilge!

Not an outboard guy, to much modification for the transom, I like the "truck" style heater in an inboard, the room fishing off the back, the ability to actually work on the engine in rough rolling seas, and there is tons of room on the deck as it is.

My fuel mileage is going to go way up just because the current motor is so beyond it's life, the last few trips were pretty bad, the power was gone, gone, gone.

It really isn't cost effective. I suspect he would want twin 150's as a minimum. That will be $30k for just the motors and another $3-5k for transom work. He can buy a lot of fuel for that. This is just my opinion, of course.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I repowered two years ago, went from a 305 Merc to a 350 MAG merc. While I'm pleased with the upgrade in performance and fuel efficiency, if I had it to do over, I would seriously consider a transom extension and twin outboards.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    It is time to repower my 1991 Sea Sport. The Chevy/Volvo 305 has almost 1400hrs on it and has been failing the last few seasonal compression tests. Last year it was due, this year its past due. It will be replaced with a 350 Merc-cruiser partial, I'll keep the risers/manifolds, heat exchanger, alternator, other items. The block, carb, maybe starter, electrical, will be new. This "new one" is a remanufactuered from Merc, with full warranty.

I'm pleased I was able to milk the hell out of the original motor, she was always reliable, but burned gas like crazy, it's time!
    It will be exciting to see what the top speed is and how much fuel it burns compared to the old motor, not so exciting about how much it will cost.

If you have any storys good or bad about your repower experience post em' I'd love to here about it.
    Be careful, the hardware on an engine doesn't usually last as long as the motor itself. The risers can get pin holes in them, so can the mannys. Its not much fun to have a salt drip in your cylinders of a brand new motor. This day and age I don't know why you would want to have a carb in your bilge in the 1st place. I would opt for the closed fuel system EFI delivers. Maast also has a point about the twin outboards. They arent even in your bilge plus you can remove them in the winter and store them in a warm dry place

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I repowered my 1979 Glasply a few years ago, I don't know how many hours the Volvo 305 had on it, but I could tell it was tired, so I repowered with a marine power 350 fuel injected. The motor came complete and ready to drop in, which turned out to be a pretty easy job, I did all the work my self. The motor has 250 hours on it and still runs great, I am now taking that engine out of that boat and installing it in another boat I bought that is twin screws, I bought another marine power 350 for the port side, both engines are sitting in my garage right now, I will install them in the spring.
    This is the route I would go. Call Kodiak and Marine Power and get quotes from both. I got a quote from both on my 496's. One of the outfits I won't mention which ones found out what the other quoted, then changed their quote to beat it. Needless to say that annoyed me because I don't like that style of business and I payed the few dollars more.

Default Cost vs the boats actual value...

EFI would be great, so would diesel, and maybe, just maybe outboards, but what is the overall value of the boat worth and would all the latest and greatest be worth putting in the vessel. That is really what drives the type of motor it gets.

EFI would be great, so would diesel, and maybe, just maybe outboards, but what is the overall value of the boat worth and would all the latest and greatest be worth putting in the vessel. That is really what drives the type of motor it gets.
    The way I see it, the engine is by far the most important thing in a boat. You can have a really nice hull, but it isn't worth anything if it has a bad motor, or you can have a hull that is not all that great, but hey with a good motor you can still get out on the water. Unless you can afford a brand new boat, I don't see any advantage to buying a used boat to replace a used boat over repowering. i judge a boats value on how valuable it is to me, not how much I can sell it for, I don't buy to sell, but that is just me

I'm looking at the Merc-Cruiser 350 long block partial. Odies Marine did eight of them last winter, they can do it for only $1800 in labor and the rest is parts. Having them install it means a no-questions asked total replacement warranty from Merc. Looking at about $7400 for the works, including labor. It's the cheapest, best deal I have found yet. I don't want to spend much on it just because it will only go so fast due to hull size limiting the speed of any boat, if it would go 50 knots flat out with a different motor I might consider something else. Gas mileage is only going to be so good along with the speed.
    What do you think of this deal?

I'm looking at the Merc-Cruiser 350 long block partial. Odies Marine did eight of them last winter, they can do it for only $1800 in labor and the rest is parts. Having them install it means a no-questions asked total replacement warranty from Merc. Looking at about $7400 for the works, including labor. It's the cheapest, best deal I have found yet. I don't want to spend much on it just because it will only go so fast due to hull size limiting the speed of any boat, if it would go 50 knots flat out with a different motor I might consider something else. Gas mileage is only going to be so good along with the speed.
    What do you think of this deal?

Good choice for mechanics and a very good price.......Is he doing it as a winter project? My advice "Don't wait till spring!!!!!"

Thumbs up Yes winter

Dupont, They only have time to do them in the winter. We have been discussing it since the first initial compression tests were taken. This seems to be a fairly popular set-up and they have been really doing great for his customers, the one customer who put it in themselves toasted a few cylinders because they didn't time it correctly, still Merc sent them a new motor. I don't know about giving them a warranty if some back yard mechanics installed it wrong, but Merc did, so that says good stuff for Merc.

Dupont, They only have time to do them in the winter. We have been discussing it since the first initial compression tests were taken. This seems to be a fairly popular set-up and they have been really doing great for his customers, the one customer who put it in themselves toasted a few cylinders because they didn't time it correctly, still Merc sent them a new motor. I don't know about giving them a warranty if some back yard mechanics installed it wrong, but Merc did, so that says good stuff for Merc.
    know the deal on the motor. My opinion it was not just a timing issue. Odie has a very good rep with Merc and Volvo both. Also has a very good rep with insurance companies in Anchorage.

He worked hard with me on my O/D issue and not a dime went in his pocket. In the end he just gave me the right things to say and the right people to work thru and I got a new drive at below his cost from Merc almost 2 years out of warrenty.

When I had my last boat I had to change the shift cable.
    Odies let me use his tap for cutting the new threads. Just told me to toss it in his mail box when Iwas done.

He is one upstanding person.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Odies sounds like the kind of shop I've been looking for. Do they work on outboards? Prior to moving up here I had a local shop that treated me much like what you guys describe at oddies. I like to do alot of the work myself and even though I could have gotten the parts cheaper elsewhere, they were so great to work with that I went there, got their advice and then bought everything from them. Anyway, great to hear we have a shop like this in Anchorage.

NO outboard work!!!!

Although this is a bit off topic, I am pretty happy with J. Kimberly Services in Anchorage for outboard work. They are in the orange warehouse around Arctic and Rasberry.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast