Thread: 454 choices

Default 454 choices

I've been carrying my 338 for bear defense on our family outings, but am thinking that a handgun that is handy is worth more in a pinch than something larger that isn't.

I'm leaning toward buying a 454 cal. when the tax refund comes. Am looking at a couple different pistols. The Freedom Arms revolver is really nice but out of my budget (okay, any new gun at this point is out of the budget, but so be it) I checked out the Ruger and Taurus at the gunstore, but haven't fired either.

Any experiences with those two guns? Are there any other revolvers chambered in the 454? I'd prefer something with a 6 to 8" barrel. Thanks!....Louis

I have owned the Ruger and the Freedom Arms in 454 Casull. The Ruger kicked worse than the Freedom Arms and the Freedom Arms kicked worse than any of my S&W' 500's.
    The Ruger is the best choice for the money to answer your post. I would avoid the Taurus. But if you are interested there can be deals found on the S&W 500 4 in model in the $800 range or less.
    Tennessee

Magnum Research makes a nice 454, similar to the freedom arms, cept the cost. Double actions are my preference though when it comes down to a defencive situation.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Thumbs up Ruger .454

It would be hard to do better than the Ruger Super Redhawk. They are a lot of bang for the buck. I haven't handled the "Alaskan" but I have heard many good things from those who do. My 7.5" SRH is my favorite Big Bore handgun. It is very accurate. In fact it is my most accurate handgun. It will shoot 1" or smaller groups offhand at 25 yards (at least for a few groups!) with factory loads. It has a nice out of the box trigger, and recoil is very managable.
    Just my 2 cents, with limited non life threatening experiences.

reuben.....

Try and shoot some of the guns first to see what shoots best for you. As much as like the single actions, my hands shoot the DA's better. I've had a SRH 7 1/2" 480 for 4 or so years and have put a good 4000 rounds through it. It is very accurate and shootable. You might want to see if you can shoot a 480 and compare to the 454. I've shot several 454's, and I don't care for the sharp recoil. To me the 480 feels like a big 44 mag, and I figure if 400 gr @ 1200 fps won't do it, it's time for a big rifle, not a more punishing handgun.

I carry a 7 1/2" Super Redhawk in a shoulder rig. It's not in my way when I'm hiking and shoots accurately. My wife carries the Alaskan, and although many people can shoot it accurately from what I read, it is not as accurate for me as my Redhawk. I go to the range regularly, and am comfortable at 25 yards, knowing I can put a round where I want it to be. I live in the Juneau area, and mostly it's black bears that are a concern, although I have had several encounters with them and no problems yet. It's also a plus to be able to shoot .45's at the range when I'm just in the mood to burn some powder, without the beating of a magnum, and do not need to buy an additional firearm. Hope this helps. When I go out to Admiralty, I carry both the .454 and .325.

it's going to be hard to beat the ruger. freedom arms makes incredible guns, just cost more than i can usually afford. i'll be going for a 44 before too long, as i'm still scared of the 454. i currently carry a ruger in 357 pushing 180 grain loads from buffalo bore. a friend of mine carries a super redhawk with a 9-1/2" barrel, says he wishes he'd gone with the 7-1/2". its just so big.

i'd personally go with a double action. i'm a big ruger fan. they're built like tanks. not always the prettiest, but definitely reliable.

Default 454 recoil

I was suprised that the Ruger was as managable as it is. The recoil is rather abrupt! But it doesn't hurt. The SRH grips are very good and no doubt the weight up front helps.....

reuben....

Thanks for the feedback. Great information there.

I'm definitely leaning toward the Ruger Redhawk at this point. I'll probably go with the 7 1/2" barrel. My first handgun was a Ruger..Single Six .22/.22mag convertible (given to me by my grade school teacher) so I do have some brand loyalty and don't think I could go wrong with that make.

The ability to fire both .454 and .45 Colt is a plus since the .45 ammo is reasonable. I enjoy handgun shooting and can't justify owning something that expensive that I won't use on a regular basis.

Appreciate the help........Louis

Thumbs up Ruger

Go with Ruger Alaskan either the 454 or 480 if bear protection only the Ruger Alaskan will fit the bill nicely.......easy to carry on your hip!
    Alaska

I have the Ruger SRH with 7.5" barrel in 454, and like it a lot. The balance is perfect, and it just feels right...it's not super-heavy. Appearance is "functional", not especially made for beauty....but that's kind of subjective. I picked it because a friend had it for sale at a price too good to pass up. Recoil is right up there, and with the heavier slugs leaves my wrist numb after 6 rounds. I have shot a friends Freedom Arms 454, and it was impressive...I'd say it's more like a Cadillac than a Ford...if you can afford one, then go for it. Nothing wrong with the Ruger though. I don't have any experience with the Taurus.
    One good thing about a 454 is you can always practice plinking with 45 Colt shells...they are quite a bit tamer...

Marshall

Default 454 Choices

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk with 7.5" bbl, it is very easy to shoot and quite accurate. My 13 yr old can shoot with 454 and 45 Colt loads. Great handgun for the money. I have a couple of friends with the Taurus 454's and they really like them also. I have fired a Freedom Arms but with the cowboy style grips it hurts my hands. Another plus for Ruger is it holds 6 rounds where all the others, Taurus, Freedom Arms, etc hold 5 rounds.