Thread: Mystery Creek RD

Default Mystery Creek RD

I'm going to Soldotna for hunters ed and I was wondering what game is up that road. Also if its not too much to ask what are the limits? I can never find them on their web site.
    thanks

There's always birds up that road. The usual times of day are best, but I have seen them in the middle of the day as well. I like it better than Swanson because of the lack of traffic, which can spook birds even when you are a ways off the road. It is, however, a much longer way from 'Dotna. As a suggestion, you may just want to go up Swanson and walk one of the lake trails. Generally some birds to surprise with no pressure from others, and it's way more like real hunting.

I believe the limit is five per day. That is where I stop anyway.

10 per day, 20 in possession.

Sayak is righty on 10 per day 20 in possesion.
    Although this road is not hunted as heavily as Swanson river road it still recieves quite a bit of hunting pressure.
    Last year me and a friend headed up there for a little bird hunting. We were there an hour before it was light enough to shoot. After we started hunting we realized at least 2 other vehicles were ahead of us. We were suprised as nobody had passed us on the way in.
    Also be aware the further on you go the worse the road gets and you will need 4 wheel drive to get much past the airport if not before. Watch the creek crossing as well if it is raining a lot.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

If you go to Mystery Creek, just after you go through the gate there is a "board" (or whatever you would call it) off to the right with the regs. on it. Including limits for the different types of grouse and it even includes pictures to assist you.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    I'm going to Soldotna for hunters ed and I was wondering what game is up that road. Also if its not too much to ask what are the limits? I can never find them on their web site.
    thanks
    "Grab your bow and let's go!"

I don't want to start another 125-post thread here, but be sure to give us a good report if you find any large groups of hunters walking through the woods in formation. I think that was originally a post about Mystery Creek wasn't it?
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I don't want to start another 125-post thread here, but be sure to give us a good report if you find any large groups of hunters walking through the woods in formation. I think that was originally a post about Mystery Creek wasn't it?
    I'm not for sure what you are trying to say, but he already knew about Mystery Creek and he was asking about limits. Do you hunt down Mystery Creek? I see you are in Fbks. Personally, I wish everyone would stay out of there as Iobviously like to go there! But, unfortunately sweetie, the place is no secret!

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Hoytgirl View Post
    I'm not for sure what you are trying to say, but he already knew about Mystery Creek and he was asking about limits. Do you hunt down Mystery Creek? I see you are in Fbks. Personally, I wish everyone would stay out of there as Iobviously like to go there! But, unfortunately sweetie, the place is no secret!
    Apperently you have not read a previous thread that lujon locked down yesterday on us for standing up for what we believe is not right on overharvesting many areas that have road access,
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

[QUOTE=ironartist;821592]Apperently you have not read a previous thread that lujon locked down yesterday on us for standing up for what we believe is not right on overharvesting many areas that have road access,[/QUOTE

No, obviously, I didn't. Can I read it if it's locked down? What was being said? I was only referring to this thread, innocently. Also, I didn't tell anybody where Mystery Creek road was at, advise them to go there or anything except that regulations are posted there for grouse, and I have never known regs to be a secret. That road has a gate, which is not "normally" open all year but.... that's all I will say about that. I certainly wasn't trying to stir **** up, so just disregard my posts!

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    Ok, so I read the "locked down" thread--I was replying to this thread though--but in my personal opinion it almost seems as if you are trying to start another 125-post thread. But, if I run into any large groups of Asians down there I will be sure to let you know. I prefer large groups of rednecks myself!

Hey skinnyd, Is that one of them jack danials dogs in your av pic. I got 2 of them wild little dogs oh boy there fun, probably the funnest little dogs I ever had
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Hoytgirl View Post
    Ok, so I read the "locked down" thread--I was replying to this thread though--but in my personal opinion it almost seems as if you are trying to start another 125-post thread. But, if I run into any large groups of Asians down there I will be sure to let you know. I prefer large groups of rednecks myself!
    I prefer large groups of no one. I like peace and quiet in the woods.

Point taken. I'll learn to keep my mouth shut one day.

Yes, it's a Jack Russell Terrier, and he loves to hunt. He perks his ears up just like a lab when ducks fly by, and he does better than you'd expect at marking grouse when we bird hunt. I take him and the lab along and between the three of us, we find almost every bird we shoot. The terrier has a much better nose than a lab, but he's not quite tall enough to pick up a bird and carry it. Before we got so much snow, he rooted around in the bushes and chased out hares for me, but now he mostly just rides around in my backpack like a papoose.

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    Apperently you have not read a previous thread that lujon locked down yesterday on us for standing up for what we believe is not right on overharvesting many areas that have road access,
    Not everyone spends hours on here researching every previous thread or post by others before answering a simple question.

I wouldnt waste my time with mystery creek road. It is now probably been cleaned out of what ever grouse hang around a 1 from the road/trail. Just my fyi but the way this road is slaughtered you need to be there the first week other wise dont waste your time.