Thread: Oct 9 Day trip suggestions

Default Oct 9 Day trip suggestions

Looking to take my 2010 Ranger 6X6, wife, kid, and dog(s) out for a day trip tomorrow along with a buddy on a wheeler. Any suggestions. I know about the Poker Run and I'm considering it but looking for other options.

I've been to Eska falls, Willow Mountain and don't want to go much farther than Gun site on the Glenn or Hatchers Pass on the Parks.

I looked at the trail location sticky and apprciate the information on mile marker and pull-outs. Most of these I'm familiar with location wise as I drive by them alot, but not informed as to trail conditions, terrain, etc.

Supposed to be a decent day tomorrow and would like a trail that pops out into some high country for scenery and glassing. Would rather not spend the whole time in the woods, and would also like to not have to deal with angry property owners shooting at me.

Thanks in advance for any boots on the ground info.

Petersville is always a nice ride. Just before you get to the Lodge by Cash Creek, hang a right, follow the creek a ways (part of the trail) and it opens up to some great scenery. Creek is all gravel bottom, no worries about getting stuck especially with the beast your driving. Trail will split off quite a ways up. Been to end of the one that goes left, but not the one that goes strait. The one that goes left comes to a big Gravel Pit, with a Green T-Rex and will dead end at some guys mine. Great opportunity for you guys to take some Ptarmigan, have a cookout and enjoy the day. There was alot of water this summer, but the creeks should be a piece of cake now. You can park at the Road house or just before at Kroto Creek ( Huge Parking Lot). I hope to make the trip myself before too much snow fall, but I still have a few more weeks before I can go.

Thanks for the reply. Did P-ville earlier this summer and it was no problem like you said. Looking for something a bit closer. My buddy and I were looking at trail near the Palmer Correctional Center, but from research that I've done seems like there is a lot of property owners, cabins, driveways, etc. in that area. I'd rather go a bit farther down the Glenn to Hicks, Puritan, Kings River, Permente, Purches. Or up Willow-Fishhook or Hatchers Pass. Regarding the Glenn Hwy trails I know where the pull-outs are I'm not familar with trail conditions, terrain type, distances, etc. And with Hathers Pass area, I know there are some non-motorized areas so I'm not real familiar with where the trail head would be for a day trip, up to the high country/snow line, for that area, etc.

do the poker tun at jim creek lots of fun to be had sign up is 0930 today

Headed to Permanente. Good trip, great weather, nice trail. The trail to the east fork of Kings River? is IMO doable for a nice family trip with kids, dogs, etc. Plenty of places to stop and have lunch, enjoy the fall. Not sure how nice it would be in the summer time with leaves on all the alders, etc. And then in September with the hunters, but this time of year pretty nice.

Met Crossfire and friend on the trail. Nice to meet you.

we were on the Permanente trail today, it was a great day for a ride
    Anchorage Ak

We're headed to Sutton tomarrow.Been out there several times and its been a good ride, oh except when I ran off in a 4 foot hole. was'nt pretty. But hell we're back for more...

Hey it was nice meeting you guys too! I'm still surprised how far ya went through the alders with the side by side . Was a great view from up top though! Maybe we'll see ya out on the sleds this winter!

If you don't mind scrathes, dents, broken half-windshields, and getting hit in the face with alders than its not that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Headed to Permanente.
    Quote Originally Posted by LAS View Post
    we were on the Permanente trail today, it was a great day for a ride
    We were there too! Rockin' the two 1984 big reds (like the one in my avatar)! Matter of fact a Ranger passed us!

Tim

I thought that was awesome seeing your three wheelers on the trail. great day for a ride, I had hoped to see a bear, but no luck in that regard.