Thread: SE boat rescues some deer

Default SE boat rescues some deer

Great read, would have been a cool experience

http://www.juneauempire.com/stories/...17573934.shtml
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Wow! Those are some crazy pictures... Neat experience, for sure, but it does beg the question of when people should interfere with wild animals. I'm sure there are also some legal issues involved here as well.

In the same light as the folks who rescued the moose from the frozen lake, or blazing a trail through the ice for a stranded whale. I'm all for it, and if ever given a chance I'd do what I could, except maybe for a pack of wolves
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

awsome pics probably was a cool experience, as for legal issues i'm pretty sure Brian is correct when it comes to interfearing with wildlife, but as for a moral stand point i would've intervened as well, there an issue of humanitarianism weather it be a person or an animal, the law may say what you did was illegal but the whole ethics thing comes into play & i applaud you for your actions, i'm pretty sure the deer were greatful as well, hahaha

Thats a pretty cool experience and awesome they were able to help out the deer.

Brian all I got to say is legal smegle if its good enough for a State Trooper to do and Fish and Game didn't say anything negative why did you have to even bring it up?

I would have done the same in their shoes.

Just great, aren't there enough people out there running out of gas or otherwise ill prepared begging for help? Now we are going to have every dang deer in the sound begging for a ride to the next island!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Brian all I got to say is legal smegle if its good enough for a State Trooper to do and Fish and Game didn't say anything negative why did you have to even bring it up?

I would have done the same in their shoes.
    I brought it up because it came to mind. I'm no legal expert and was wondering out loud if there were legal issues involved. Sometimes stories like this lead to more folks taking such action. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but if there are legal issues involved, then perhaps we can educate each other before we do likewise.
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-08-2010 at 15:59.

Our paper had a pic of a moose swimming Wrangell narrows the day before opener heading to his hideing spot
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I brought it up because it came to mind. I'm no legal expert and was wondering out loud if there were legal issues involved. Sometimes stories like this lead to more folks taking such action. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but if there are legal issues involved, then perhaps we can educate each other before we do likewise.
    Been a minute since I have looked into it but I know that transporting live wild fish is against the law and I am pretty sure that the law specifies both live wild fish and game. So arguably they did "transport" them. That said, any trooper willing to ticket them for that would be just as likely to arrest Santa Clause for home invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    That said, any trooper willing to ticket them for that would be just as likely to arrest Santa Clause for home invasion.
    How can I get in touch with that Trooper? That fat jolly elf is really getting on my nerves.

Nice rescue.

A friend and I once picked a couple deer out of the water, after they had been chased there by dogs, and paddled them across a lagoon away from the dogs. We were surprised how docile they went after we grabbed them. No fight whatsoever. Put them on the beach where they lay for a while then got up and walked into the woods.

I once read a book at the Kodiak Library that had stories from the old days in Alaska, and one of the stories was about the guy who caught the deer that were transported to Prince William Sound. He tried live trapping them first, but had no luck. One day while he was out checking the traps, his dog chased a deer into the water and he caught it in his skiff. After that, it was easy, the dog chased deer into the water and he caught them and the transplant was made.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

In my former career, I became involved in these assisting wild game issues as well as "transporting". I always helped on open water and thin ice incidents. The local fire departments were always willing to assist. Late winter dogs chasing deer got a swift sentence. Ditto with coyotes.
    I always looked at the intent of the "assist" and the totality of circumstances. You can't fault people for wanting to help a wild animal in some predicament. If I had to put them down (wild animal), I always found someone that was willing to salvage the meat. You can't save them all.
    If I was on duty, I'd be out helping those guys with their rescue. Any CO, Warden or Trooper worth their salt would roll the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    In my former career, I became involved in these assisting wild game issues as well as "transporting". I always helped on open water and thin ice incidents. The local fire departments were always willing to assist. Late winter dogs chasing deer got a swift sentence. Ditto with coyotes.
    I always looked at the intent of the "assist" and the totality of circumstances. You can't fault people for wanting to help a wild animal in some predicament. If I had to put them down (wild animal), I always found someone that was willing to salvage the meat. You can't save them all.
    If I was on duty, I'd be out helping those guys with their rescue. Any CO, Warden or Trooper worth their salt would roll the same way.
    So your sayin you wouldn't pinch Santa for a little B&E in late December huh?

hello tlingit warrior

have had personal experience with deer in small boats due to being too far from shore. do the right thing and all goes well

heard one once about deer trying to climb onto a berg and couldn't, got a ride to town in skiff where they climbed off onto dry land

thank you patrick

Well done! some times you have to do what you have to do. I dont think a trooper in his or her right mind would ticket you for this one