Thread: Where to fish monday

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default Where to fish monday

So I'm fishing the ocean Monday, first time in a couple of years. We're taking a 21' 350 jet, with about a 25 mile range (each way). I know it's late in the season, but I have got to get out there, so long as the weather is decent. From what I've read, here are the pros/cons of Whittier/Seward/Homer:

Whittier:
    Pros - Deer, I really would love to shoot a deer. Protection if the weather turns.
    Cons - Mediocre fishing.

Seward:
    Pros - Good prospects for rockfish and ling cod.
    Cons - No deer. Halibut unlikely within our range. Less protection than Whittier.

Homer:
    Pros - Halibut.
    Cons - No deer. Further drive. Fewer bottomfish.

The guy I'm going with doesn't hunt, but isn't opposed to me hopping out on an island in PWS to chase deer for part of the day. Anyone have any advice/experience this late in the season regarding where we ought to fish?
    Thanks.

For me the possibility of deer hunting in addition to fish would lure me towards Whittier.

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post

Seward:
    Pros - Good prospects for rockfish and ling cod.
    Cons - No deer. Halibut unlikely within our range. Less protection than Whittier.
    You have to be out of Resurrection Bay to keep Lings. Isn't it nearly 20 miles out to the closest part of the dividing line (east side of the bay) before you can even begin to target them? Just something to keep in mind.

We're taking a 21' 350 jet, with about a 25 mile range (each way).
    A 50 mile round trip range? Seems a little short................

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Based on your constraints, I would go out of Whittier and stay in either Hummer or Bettles Bay (assuming you plan on staying out overnight, I would if I were you). There are some bumps outside of Pigot Bay where you will have a chance at halibut. I was going to say you can catch shrimp in this area too, but not this time of year, it closed on Sept 15th. Looks a little lumpy then, but not too bad.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Thanks for the advice guys. I know the 50 round trip range is a little short - fuel tank is something like 27 gallons, and we'll take a few 5 gallon cans. Our range is a little bit of a self imposed safety restriction due to boat size, weather, etc.

Thanks for the reminder Kardinal, the friend I am going with has fished the area right outside the dividing line based on his gps.

I've worked 120 hours in the last 13 days - I'm just excited to go do something other than wipe butts. Catching fish/shooting something will be a bonus.

Default I searched

I would also like to point out I read through a lot of threads on each area and learned a lot. One thing I could not find much information on is how fishing changes this late in the year, so I appreciate the perspectives.

After reading a lot of BrianM's longlining comments I'm trying to figure out how I can fit 1800 feet of sink tip on my 8wt.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Scott rn,
    I have to disgree with your statement about less bottomfish out of Homer.I caught a slew of black rockfish,china rocks,and other various rockfish out of Homer just a mile or so off the bluffs all summer long.I don't know if they are still there right now,but I can't see any reason why there wouldn't be some around still.
    As much work time as you've been putting in,I wish you the best of luck wherever you end up going.As a side note I was fishing in a 19' Klamath and never had any issues.But of course I don't do "issues" anyway.Go have some fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Scott rn,
    I have to disgree with your statement about less bottomfish out of Homer.I caught a slew of black rockfish,china rocks,and other various rockfish out of Homer just a mile or so off the bluffs all summer long.I don't know if they are still there right now,but I can't see any reason why there wouldn't be some around still.
    As much work time as you've been putting in,I wish you the best of luck wherever you end up going.As a side note I was fishing in a 19' Klamath and never had any issues.But of course I don't do "issues" anyway.Go have some fun.
    Thanks for the info Mark. Neither of us have ever fished out of Homer, but from reports I knew there were halibut, irish lords, and I've seen muttley crew's reports of winter kings - but I honestly didn't know there were black rockfish that direction too. I sure wish there were blacktails that direction

Well... we ended up going out of Whittier. Made it down toward culross and caught a bunch of rockfish and a few little lings. We were going to motor somewhere else to either fish or hunt and the motor wouldn't start. Trying to get it running we had a wiring harness melt, complete with smoke billowing out of the back end of the boat. Decided we had better not chance it staying any longer as we had to make the run back on the kicker. 4 hours on an evinrude 9.9, good times.

Thanks again for all the advice guys.

Thanks for the info Mark. Neither of us have ever fished out of Homer, but from reports I knew there were halibut, irish lords, and I've seen muttley crew's reports of winter kings - but I honestly didn't know there were black rockfish that direction too. I sure wish there were blacktails that direction
    There are places I fish a lot where I actually end up leaving because there are just so many black and dusky rockfish attacking my bait. Just north of the Bluffs, as Mark said, is one of those spots. But essentially off just about any of the rocky points on the periphery of the bay holds a lot of rockfish. And there are a few spots out past Seldovia where there are some really nice concentrations of some pretty big rockies. This was from back in the middle of June:

catch of the day2.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Scott I would listen to Mark and Dave, I just got back from the sound not only did I fish every logical spot on the Garmin 740s fishing chart from Latouche to Ester rock and didn't catch squat. Deer of any abundance are out of your range so I'd go to Homer

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Scott I would listen to Mark and Dave, I just got back from the sound not only did I fish every logical spot on the Garmin 740s fishing chart from Latouche to Ester rock and didn't catch squat. Deer of any abundance are out of your range so I'd go to Homer
    I don't like to be disparaging about Homer since I live here and LOVE it, but if you're after deer I don't think Homer is the place to come. And especially if you only have a range of 50 to 60 miles. I'm not an expert, but I don't think you're going to find many deer within that range. But if you're after rockfish, halibut (yes, they are still around) and/or kings it's hard to beat.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com