Thread: nice bear and a bonus...

Talking nice bear and a bonus...

heres a good one a return client of mine just took...he goes a couple inches over nine foot with a green skull of a hair over twenty seven...this client has hunted with me three times now and this is his second brownie, having taken an 8'6 bear with me last year...this year it was nine foot or bust.......it took nine days and the patience and ability to pass on many lesser bears (two of them being dandy boars in the 8'6 to 8'8 class) this boar was shot at eighty yrds

a great hunt with a client who has become a close friend during our hunts together...the wolf is his as well, shot during the first day, remarkably as he chased two young bull caribou past us in a river bottom...a short low howl brought him to a bounding stop for a split second before my client dusted him...thats a first for me, to kill a predator while in pursuit...the whole deal happened in a matter of a few seconds...it was just one of those special hunts...lots of game, selective hunting of a particular trophy (a nine foot or better brown bear) , good comradship, two good attitudes, and success in the end. god i love my job.

379.jpg
    316.jpg

Default a couple more pics of the bear and skull

nice pics. is that not kind of tough calling out say an 8-8 bear vs. 9-0? that's gotta be a close call sometimes. i'm sure you earned your paycheck on that one.

Sounds like you had a great hunt! It looks like the weather was favorable, too. Well done.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

yeah... ya know earlier in my career i used to think it was silly when i heard someone judge a bear to the inch...and i'm absolutely wrong sometimes when judgeing a bear...but these days all in all, the majority of the time i've found i can judge them within three inches and i suprise myself at better accuracy than that sometimes....it's not rocket science...knowing the bears in your area and having seen many of them hit the ground after judging them on the "hoof" and then seeing what they square after being skinned by myself...well you start to get pretty decent at it...and theres a bit more to a nine footer for some reason than an eight and a half to eight eight class bear, most noticeably length. those few inches dont seem like much, but theyre more evident than one would think...like i say though, i've misjudged and i'll do it again no doubt more than once....obviously looking at many many bears spring and fall of every year helps tremendously as does haveing the opportunity to see bears you've judged get killed, skinned and squared ...speeds the learning curve tremendously

Interesting.
    Any time outside is awsome, As the nuge singz "lucky me, my work is play"

When you mesure your hide, where do you mesure from? What do you include or leave out? The tail? The claws?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Great job!! Way to giter' done. Beautiful bear & Howler

For a lot of years I took the month of July off and fished the kenai every day.After a while you can look over the side of the boat and tell how much a fish weighs and be with in a pound or so.I have no done it for a few years so I am sure I am a little rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Interesting.
    Any time outside is awsome, As the nuge singz "lucky me, my work is play"

When you mesure your hide, where do you mesure from? What do you include or leave out? The tail? The claws?
    hey stranger...understand that we're talking sport hunting terms... i'm sure in your world (subsistence lifestyle) it matters not what the hide squares or the skull measures...but generaly when speaking of hide size the measurements are in squared terms....ie: measurement from clawtip to clawtip then measure from nose to tail...add the two lengths, then divide by 2...the measurements can vary depending upon where you stop your midline cut during the skinning process (if the cut is stopped short of the cleft in the lower jaw, then your claw to claw measurement will be shorter than if you continued your cut to the cleft of the bottom jaw (the way i was taught and the way most guides i know skin bears) the hide is pelted from the animal to make the measurements and laid out and measured on a flat surface....due to the variances in skinning and the shrinking from salted or dried hides the squared measurement has always just been a guideline of how big the bear was...its not a definite measurement...just something that sport hunters hunting the big bears over the years have used as a general reference to the size of the bear.

Thanks for the info, Ninefoot.
    Just interested in how others come to such
    I just never had mesured a Bear before this Spring, and my wife did well indeed.Mine and like 10 others came out with the same mesurements, all organicly attached, in length and width, although it wasnt deem'd "Right" on these boards..... (Eskimos say to never speak of Bears...maby I got bit here in some sorta Cozmik Karma?)I got the hide and skull, both quite well saved, the hide being our sled bed for winter camping and is the first we didnt use for a rug/floor in our tent.The wifes skull resides with two others very close to its size and one bigger on my shop shelf.
    I understand the Sporting part of it all, I just have a different ediquet in some slight ways,a focus on different parts of animals as well as you having obligations that I dont.
    I was reading Brownbears post on having also shot a Bear that his client had hit, and stopped it from getting into cover, and I had never before consitterd that, as a Guide, such was done, 'cause myself, if it was a case of a Bear getting into cover wounded, well, it would be a case of "Ok, partner... That shot suk'd..... I'll cover ya from here....Good luck!!"~~LOL!!~~

I mucho enjoy your posts, but I still see it as "Work".......Hell, I KNOW its work.... we all gotta work, so why not do what we really like??wether its hunting for meat or taking others there, and its work outside, and I love it too.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

two good attitudes
    That makes the hunt! Congrats to you both...

Ninefoot, congrats to you on the great job and the client on a great hunt! The bear and wolf look great.

But I need more details!

Skull measurements?

How far away did you first spot the bear? How did you close in on him from there?

What is the client going to do with the pelt? (I have the same issue with a 9'-2" bear).

What was it shot with? Where and how many times?

Did you have to follow him after the shot(s)?

Nice bear, Ninefoot! And wolf too!

Looks like the beginning of a good fall for you.

Glad you had a great client, I'm sure that makes a large difference in your enjoyment factor.

Good hunting!

Chris

Good job on a great hunt! Sounds like you got a good client and the two of you work well together can't beat that!

I'm loving the wolf. The bear is nice; no the bear is awesome. The wolf, that's something very special IMO. Congrats!
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks for the pics and story. As already said, what cartridge and bullet? Do use both spot and stock plus hanging around creeks?
    I see there was some snow too. Are the bear close to denning up?

Was that bear shot on a moose or caribou kill? Could just be a tundra hummock but looks like I see some white hair sticking out. Not that it makes any difference just always thought there's more excitement in shooting a bear on his kill knowing that if he smells or hears you he is more likely to charge than run.

Hey, yea 33...........it does look like the bear is on a kill.
    In my experience (not near what 9 foots is) big bears don't get big by charging humans. They get big by running away any time they sense a human..............or sneaking away undetected.
    Big bears only confront humans if left with no other choice.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

thanks guys...it was a good hunt for sure.
    and nope he wasnt on a kill...shot him in his bed as he dosed...a neat way to go for one of the greatest mammals on our planet if ya ask me.

and yeah the wolf was an experience i wont forget...we took the opportunity in the few seconds we had to get it done, quick thinkin from me to stop him with a howl (its a wonder i did, cause my first thought was definitely to GAWK as i sat in wonderment at what was happening in front of me, ) and quick/good shooting on my clients part to smoke him as soon as he stopped...it worked...gotta love it when that happens.......lol, those two caribou bulls were thinkin phewww, thanks guys.

as far as the details...i'll do a real write up some day... his skull will not quite go 27 when it's dried, but very close (whithin a couple sixteenths)

guns used where my 458 and clients 338...and this one took a pounding as alot of them do, it still impresses me when they soak up lead like that, but doesnt surprise me anymore...some of em give up the ghost without much ado...but alot of em dont.

pertaining to the method, this one was spot and stalk as are ninety percent of my hunts...i do one or two river based float hunts a year, which entail close in/limited visibility hunting on spawning beds...but the rest are spot and stalk hunts in the mountains

and yeah, that was the first snow of the fall in our country