Thread: tool kits and other stuff you bring

Default tool kits and other stuff you bring

Maybe others are thinking about this too as we get closer to winter. I've been trying to decide what the happy medium for a tool kit and other important stuff to carry with me is. Usually don't have much along other than my personal gear (including basic stuff for an unplanned walk home or bivy), tow strap, extra belt and extra plugs. Now that we're making longer trips I'd like to be better prepared. Anyone have a list of what they bring along to share? For what it is worth I've got a mid-90s 340 indy lite gt.

Thanks in advance.

Ratchet Rope, small shovel, spark plugs, spare belts, vice grips, crescent wrench, a few select sockets and wrenches, "achiles heel parts" that are relative to your model, hatchet, break down bow saw, spare pieces of fuel line, and naked pictures of your significant other to warm you up when it's 20-40 below.

A complete set of short combination wrenches. A Redi Ratchet. Duct tape. Electrical tape. Bailing wire. Needle nose pliers or a Leatherman. A headlamp....or two! A lighter. A small can of WD-40. A spare Quik Strap mount kit. An exhaust spring tool. Allen wrenches (for the handlebars). A small dead blow mallet to beat ice off the tunnel. Those things along with the factory tools, which work well in a pinch.

Most of what's already mentioned plus zip ties, a selection of common bolts/nuts, 3 carabiners w/slip on pulleys and 100' of 8mm rope. I also carry sled specific stuff--I ride an 03 RMK so I have a spare set of exhaust bellows/gaskets and a water/oil pump belt. I've never needed to mess with those in the field but the parts are small and light.

In my pack, besides my usual survival stuff I carry a complete set of dry underclothes--socks & fleece top/bottom. If I ever get stuck so bad I have to overnight I assume I'll be at least damp from exertion of trying to get unstuck.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    A complete set of short combination wrenches. A Redi Ratchet. Duct tape. Electrical tape. Bailing wire. Needle nose pliers or a Leatherman. A headlamp....or two! A lighter. A small can of WD-40. A spare Quik Strap mount kit. An exhaust spring tool. Allen wrenches (for the handlebars). A small dead blow mallet to beat ice off the tunnel. Those things along with the factory tools, which work well in a pinch.
    Dump the Leatherman for a Gerber, much stronger.....throw out the lighter (not good when wet or cold) for some good waterproof matches in a waterproof container with some type of combustion helper (sled fuel and/or oil will suffice) or carry a magnesium fire starter and know how to use it. Carry the general tools you will need to work on the sled with 10 thru 18 mm combo wrenches (stubbies is what I carry and I dupilicate some of the ones I need most), a couple of good screw drivers one of each variety and an allen wrench set and now a couple of the required Torx. I have recently added rescue tape to my pack. Fixed a bad exhaust leak with the stuff with great success, it lasted the rest of the season for the girl. Also carry a couple of good Ski Doo/Polaris tow straps. I am sure that my time is not far off.

If travelling away from the beaten path or without a group, I would definately carry the stuff Erik has said, rope caribiners, etc. I also carry extra clothes. Sled parts I would consider is plugs, a chain(if required), and at least one belt 2 if spring riding in heavy snow.

I know one guy that carries an EPIRB when riding solo and it kept him from having to spend the night after losing his sled in the river when he stopped to make sure some track vehicles were empty.

Default Obiously I believe in being prepared.

My 5 lbs tool kit. I always try to use my kit even in my garage to help narrow down what might be missing. I got a Katahdin Gear tear drop tool pouch with: 6" Cresent wrench, 6" Visegrip, Husky Stubby ratcheting screwdriver, Assorted screwdriver heads (Phillips, Slotted, Torx), 3/16" drill bit w/ impact head to fit screwdriver, Husky Stubby ratchet (Dual 1/4 & 3/8 drv pivoting head), Sockets (17, 13, 11, 10, 5/16), 1/4 to 3/8 drive adapter, 3" & 6" socket extensions, 10mm allen socket for torque arm bolts, Gear Wrench stubby ratcheting sockets (17, 15, 13, 10), Allen wrenches w/ball end (1.5-6), small magnet (to fetch bolt in bottom of tub), 12v LED circuit test light, zip-ties, tie wire (doubles as bandaids and spring puller), assorted 5/16 head self tapping screws, duct tape, electrical tape, clutch puller.

For survival gear I carry (2) 20 minute road flares for firestarters, spare strap for googles, contractor size trash bag, assorted hot hands, (3) emergency food bars (1200calories), hatchet/saw combo, and most important toilet paper. In an REI hiker first aid kit I have added a magnesium fire starter, emergency bivy, sharpening stone, 550 cord, emergency candles, alumunium foil, cotton balls in vasoline, chem lights (2), EZ pop-up towels.

All this suff weights less then 10lbs. I forgot to add on my person I always carry a Leatherman, high quality windproof lighter, flashlight, waterproof matches, whistle, signal mirror, compass, and Pocket rocket aerial flares (3).

How are you keeping your road flares from coming apart? Mine are destroyed after one or 2 rides.

I just put them in one of those vac pump zip lock bags and keep them in my tank bag which they don't bounce around in. Never had a problem yet. If you put them in a tunnel bag I could see that happening.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by psc210 View Post
    My 5 lbs tool kit. I always try to use my kit even in my garage to help narrow down what might be missing. I got a Katahdin Gear tear drop tool pouch with: 6" Cresent wrench, 6" Visegrip, Husky Stubby ratcheting screwdriver, Assorted screwdriver heads (Phillips, Slotted, Torx), 3/16" drill bit w/ impact head to fit screwdriver, Husky Stubby ratchet (Dual 1/4 & 3/8 drv pivoting head), Sockets (17, 13, 11, 10, 5/16), 1/4 to 3/8 drive adapter, 3" & 6" socket extensions, 10mm allen socket for torque arm bolts, Gear Wrench stubby ratcheting sockets (17, 15, 13, 10), Allen wrenches w/ball end (1.5-6), small magnet (to fetch bolt in bottom of tub), 12v LED circuit test light, zip-ties, tie wire (doubles as bandaids and spring puller), assorted 5/16 head self tapping screws, duct tape, electrical tape, clutch puller.

For survival gear I carry (2) 20 minute road flares for firestarters, spare strap for googles, contractor size trash bag, assorted hot hands, (3) emergency food bars (1200calories), hatchet/saw combo, and most important toilet paper. In an REI hiker first aid kit I have added a magnesium fire starter, emergency bivy, sharpening stone, 550 cord, emergency candles, alumunium foil, cotton balls in vasoline, chem lights (2), EZ pop-up towels.

All this suff weights less then 10lbs. I forgot to add on my person I always carry a Leatherman, high quality windproof lighter, flashlight, waterproof matches, whistle, signal mirror, compass, and Pocket rocket aerial flares (3).
    Good list... now when out alone especially one should also strap on a small light pair of snow shoes. and prolly make sure at least one person in the group has a set.

heres why...

you break down or Bury in to bad especially in spring time... your walking it once took me 4 hours to go 200 yards out to the highways edge. to hitch a ride back to Valdez from 60 mile. the next day i ran in 5 min on snow shoes....

when out with a group... there may well be those times SOMEONE goes over an edge they should not have. you won't want to take your 10k or better sled down there too... the ability to hike down, pack trail is huge. even if only Knee deep... lest alone neck deep.

for tools... i was a rolling Mechanic while living in Valdez and rescued many sleds off the mountains above... in short if you can change your track with what tools you have... your about equipped for most anything you can repair in the field... THAT trip... i have carried in pistons and cylinders and rebuilt engines on the river or peak of the mtn in the snow... but that takes some pre planning.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I don't carry parts of that extreme (piston etc.) unless I am on a specific rescue mission. I always ride with a partner so if something that extreme breaks I am getting towed or riddin' double I guess. As far as bolts there a lot of bolts on a sled that You don't "need" that fit other applications to get you out.