Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Shotgun ?

Talking Which Shotgun ?

It is time for my yearly gun purchase - this year it's going to be a pellet gun.

I have pared it down to 4 choices:

Benelli's Vinci
    Beretta Xtrema2
    Browning Maxus
    Winchester SX3

I will probably continue to shoot my old 870 express. The wife will be using this one for ducks up here, geese when we get back the lower 48, and yes - skeet and trap shooting.

I will go with a 26 inch barrel. Probably a 3.5 incher (just so we can if'n we want).

So far, without any handling, I am liking the browning.

Thoughts on which are better - best - ????

I love my SX3, cant say enough good things about it. I've hunted with a few guys that shoot SBE II and it keeps up with them all day. With that said, I can't say anything bad about the others. I'm sure it's all personal preference. I think you'll be happy either way. Just remember the Vinci is 3" only. That's a deal breaker for some.

Bullelkklr,

If you want 3 1/2" capability then Vinci is out...it only chambers up to 3" shell.

For the wife? Is she small framed/armed?

I hear a lot of good comments about the Xtreme2 for the ladies and guys that shoot all day.

The Maxus sounds like a really nice gun compared to the Gold of old.

I'd probably save a few hundred and get another 870. Shoots every time (except when it doesn't).

i have dropped my 870 in the lake before and just poured the water out and it shot fine lol but i like the way the xtrema's feel

My SBEII has been dropped in the water and all I had to do was pour the water out, and it shot fine. But the shotgun for the wife, I would go with the xtrema. The Benellis kick harder.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Balance.

Bad balance = lousing shooting.

Shoulder each option at a gun store. Swing them. Try different barrel lengths. The one that feels like it belongs between your hands belongs between your hands.

I have owned soft shooting gas operated Remingtons, a Browning Auto 5, two SBE IIs, two 20 gauge Benelli Cordobas, one Vinci. The Remingtons were easy on the shoulder because of gas operation but the extra gas action junk that makes the fore end heavy makes it hard for me to be an excellent shot. The front of the gun doesn't swing as well as a Benelli. It's like swinging a baseball bat.

The best gun(s) I have shot so far are my 20 gauge Cordobas. That's what I use for ducks. There are no flies on a 20 gauge Cordoba.

If I could have only one gun it would probably be a 26 inch Vinci or SBE II. They might kick harder than a gas gun, load for load, but the balance more than makes up for the extra recoil.

Wife shoots my .338 without any flinching. She is shooting a 20 ga 870 express right now. It wil be my gun, but she is in a skeet/trap league this winter so it'll prolly end up her gun.

My 870 has never failed me and I have had gravel and knick mudd on every piece of it. It works for me.

Thinking on it, 3.5 inch is not a deal breaker for me - they don't really do that much for you - even though the guys who shoot the more costly rounds think so.

We'll go swing some and she'll get the pick.

I have had my SBEII for 6 years. I have beaten, dropped, stepped on, dropped in the lake, neglected to clean, and average putting 200-300 rounds through a year. I have never had a problem except for once I jacked a shell in with some grass infront of the firing pin needless to say that was operator error. I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to pay for a gun that will last them a lifetime. Eventually "Medusa" my SBEII will wear out, but the customer service that Bennelli upholds is great. If I had another choice if they stopped making the SBEII I would take a serious look at the Berretta XtremaII with the kickoff system exspecially after they got rid of the oversized forearm grip. they seem to be nice guns and one of my hunting buddies has on, and seems to think that it is better than the SBEII.

And to mix things up more, what about the Beretta Xplor, no camo stock, but the reviews seem very good.

SBII is what I am shooting, she kicks the 3.5 pretty good, but I would be hard pressed to give it up.

Xplor is supposed to be real light shooting 3.5.

I just bought an SBE2 and love it. Two complaints so far. I have a cut on my middle finger from 3.5 inch loads. The trigger guard jams back on it. I don't notice it with lighter loads. Resolved with gloves.

Number two, I don't like how it's patterning with the stock Benelli choke. I am using the modified and it throws some holes. Anyone shooting the SBE2 using a choke they like?

The Browning Maxus was a huge consideration since I have shot a Browning gold for nearly a decade. It lost out on the gas operating cleaning needs. The Benelli you can get away with a wipe down between hunts. The Browning seems to need quite a bit more attention. The Gold failed on me only a few times... but I do remember those times.

I have a SBE2 and not that crazy about it. Gift from my wife, of course I told here what to buy, and I was very excited about it. Have had it 3-4 yrs now. The spring after I got it, I won a extrema at a DU banquet. I later sold the extrema, but deep in my heart I wish I had sold the Beneli. Starting from the 2nd time I took it out, it has been jamming on me, not loading, and misfiring. The factory told me initially to take it apart and clean out the heavy shipping grease. That gave me a couple trips that were trouble free. It's not that big of a deal to take it down and clean it thourghly, but would rather just give it a wipe off and go again the next day. It seems anytime I think, "maybe I can use it as is tomorrow morning" I have problems with it. Hope you have better luck with yours. Now I keep a little punch with me to tap out the pin and do a quick disassemble in the blind if I start having trouble, that and a can of spray oil. Good luck, Bud

I have to admit that in my current situation I don't like to clean guns. I have no gun room at this time - If I want to load I have to get my loading stuff out and mount it to the bench...if I want to clean guns I have to get the cleaning stuff out. I like a quick wipedown and put em away.

"Balance.

Bad balance = lousing shooting.

Shoulder each option at a gun store. Swing them. Try different barrel lengths. The one that feels like it belongs between your hands belongs between your hands."

Jake is 100% correct. If the gun does not fit you or feel right, you will never be confident in the firearm. Me; I am a Winchester guy born and raised. I have owned a SX2 for years now. I have learned to shoot it but it does not quite feel right compaired to other guns I have shot. I have shot the SBII, the SX3 and the Xtrema2. I would go with the Xtrema2 if I was buying a new gun. I all comes together when I shoot it. I like the way it shoulders and shoots. Each to their own, that is why there are so many different types of guns out there. Just my .02
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

I shoot the stock bennelli for in tight shooting and use the Pattern master extended range for bigger birds. Patternmaster patterns awesome at 40-50 yds.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I have a SBE2 and not that crazy about it. Gift from my wife, of course I told here what to buy, and I was very excited about it. Have had it 3-4 yrs now. The spring after I got it, I won a extrema at a DU banquet. I later sold the extrema, but deep in my heart I wish I had sold the Beneli. Starting from the 2nd time I took it out, it has been jamming on me, not loading, and misfiring. The factory told me initially to take it apart and clean out the heavy shipping grease. That gave me a couple trips that were trouble free. It's not that big of a deal to take it down and clean it thourghly, but would rather just give it a wipe off and go again the next day. It seems anytime I think, "maybe I can use it as is tomorrow morning" I have problems with it. Hope you have better luck with yours. Now I keep a little punch with me to tap out the pin and do a quick disassemble in the blind if I start having trouble, that and a can of spray oil. Good luck, Bud
    I feel the same way about my SBEII. During the last year or so it has not been cycling consistently, I strip it down and thoroughly clean it and it works fine for a while and then starts acting cantankerous again. I'm finding myself longing for the good old days when I shot an 11-87 that never let me down and only got cleaned (internally) once a year.

Benellis have a five year warranty. If you bought the gun new and it has been jamming, send it to Benelli USA before the warranty period runs out. Make them fix it. They will make it good.

O my - I went to sporties and swung a couple - didn't have the vinci out yet...but boy some of these guns are really nice - point well and light weight....

The maxus was nice and may be my choice -but since it isn't - I suspect that she is going to like the benelli lite (or super light or whatever it was). The fancy benelli (legacy I think) is also very nice. Now to see if they make these in camo or with some kind of protection..shiney is bad for dux and I am not so sure about bluing in the salt....which might put it back to the maxus.

The 'expert' at sportsmans said that the benelli is in 'fact' the most reliable for any shell and easiest to clean...any 'fact' in those statements?

Way easy to clean because they don't really get very dirty at all. With most of the Benelli duck guns you could probably clean them once a season, keep them well oiled, and never skip a beat.

Benellis can be exceptionally reliable or a real pain in the butt. If you get lucky the gun will go for years without a jam. If not, you will have to send the gun to the Benelli Service Department.

I'd probably pass on the Ultra Light. Without the Comfortech stock it likely kicks like a mule. Get a camo Vinci, SBE II, or Cordoba and you won't be disappointed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast