Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noise of muzzle brake vs. recoil on smaller cartidge for beginner?

Default Noise of muzzle brake vs. recoil on smaller cartidge for beginner?

Another thread got me thinking about this but I didnít want to hijack it. In the next couple of years I will probably be getting my wife her own rifle, not an elephant gun, but I want it to be as easy as possible for her to gain comfort and confidence shooting it. I would get a muzzle break if the actual recoil was worse than the kick, but I donít know if that is the case. She has not spent a lot of time around guns but is willing to learn. For a beginner; would the added noise of a muzzle break make the rifle less fun to shoot, or would the reduced recoil be worth it in a 30-06ish caliber?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I have a KDF muzzle break on my 30-06 so my wife can shoot it. It now has the felt recoil of about a .243 the recoil was reduced dramatically from it. There is SOME added noise but I always wear hearing protection when I am shooting so it does not bother me. also the noise is mostly directed to the front /sides so if you are beind the gun you are good but if you are out in front then you are ears are going to be suckin but I dont know why you would be in front while she is shooting.

Thumbs down Shooting, or Hunting?

Since you're posting in the Hunting forum I suspect your intent for the gun is to hunt, so I'd recommend no, do not go with a brake. I used to have one on a 30.06 and would never again own one. Too stinkin' loud and in hunting situations hearing protection isn't viable imo.

If your sole use of the gun was plinking at targets and no hunting, then you can wear ear protection 100 percent of the time and muzzle brakes are great, except watch out for the side blast; other people must be entirely behind you; not next to you, while shooting.

I once had a Rem 741 .06 for my wife.
    I had the barrel shortened to 20 in, with a muzzle brake. like Bsj425 said, it was less than a .243.
    she did not like it....actually, she did not like hunting, stalking, etc.
    she is not an anti....she just did not enjoy it enough to tramp in the woods, jungles and nasty stuff in the coastal and Cascade rain forest.
    sold it at the WAC gun show in Puyallup.
    i now wish i had kept it.

It all depends on the design of the brake really as Family Man said some can be deafening. My Remington 700 VTR in .223 is ridiculously loud because of the way the brake is shaped. It sounds like my 30-06 did before the brake its a terrible design. However when I shot my moose last month I did not have hearing protection in but was wearing a beanie that covered my ears but it was just a tiny bit of cotton and it wasnt terrbile I had a little bit of ringing afterwards but that goes with just about anything you shoot without hearing protection shoot I get ringing from some of my 22's if I dont wear ear plugs.

Default what?

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    It all depends on the design of the brake really as Family Man said some can be deafening.
    WHAT DID YOU SAY ????!!!!

Did I mention that I used to hunt with a 30.06 that had a muzzle brake?

My wife shot a friend's Model 7 in 7mm .08 a couple of years ago and offered "If I ever get a hunting rifle this is the one I want."
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I have a browning 300wm with boss break - it is super loud!
    I would rec taking your wife to someplace where she could try some guns out - shoot a few preferably on a range and NOT in front of other shooters if possible to keep her from feeling embarrassed. Finding another lady shooter would likely be a plus.
    I would suggest something like the 7mm 08 also - perhaps keep the barrel 22 - 24 in as it will help distance the blast and the added weight will help lesson recoil.
    Work up in caliber from there if you feel the need and she is comfortable. A nice 243 ain't half bad either to get her used to a rifle.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Familyman, were lucky we can read, eh?

Some designs are "better" and often louder Ive found.
    I experianced this with all the AK .223 's and the various after market muzzle devices I tryed.Some were good, some were a joke. The ""Most Bestist", a rip off the AK-74 is loudest and the most stabilizing of the bunch. I run a Norinco 86 with one, as it noticably keeps the "chug" of the recoil barely noticable, and when Im burning a 40 round mag in rapid aimed fire, I can put 70% in the black wile advancing at a walking pace, and 90+% when Im still. It adds to my sight stability and though its loud, I doubt I would notice the ear ringing noise in action.
    Ive used it rapid fire on running Wolves to great effect.
    The Ak's without devices are MUCH quieter, and good for plinking/hunting and mucho nicer to the ears. The most "upsetting" inthose rifles is the mechanisims weight shift, but the Muzzlebreak really helps there.
    I donno much about breaked Bolt actions.

Too bad hunting and ear protection dont go together very well, and Im so low tech, I just cant do the electronic thinggys.

If a gun was consiter'd a single stroke, dicarding piston engine, I think Id get it a muffler....... OSHA should demand Hunters use suppressors. It should be rude to go to a range without one. Gotta save those ears, and bystanders too....Geeee, think about the "Children' and 'Jon Q Public'....

When I am shooting an animal, I feel nothing, and barly hear anything, my attention is fully on the target. I often check to see if I really did reload...
    ya...I did
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default shooting at an animal makes no noise

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    When I am shooting an animal, I feel nothing, and barly hear anything, my attention is fully on the target. I often check to see if I really did reload...
    That's funny you say that; I thought I was the only one. It has always amazed me that I've never had my ears ringing from shooting at an animal. But let me forget my ear protection while sighting in and they're a'ringin' for a long time.

Of course that makes no sense, but its the truth. Just weird. Sounds like you are too.

I'd rather eat lint than give a kid a rifle with a brake.

If you don't reload, look into various brands of "managed recoil" ammunition.

If you do reload, google "seafire" and "blue dot" in the same google search. A bit of perusing hits from 24hourcampfire and other places will give you great info on reduced loads. I cooked up a load with standard cup/core 150-grain hornadys and blue dot, leaving the barrel around 2300 fps. This grouped 2" at 100 yards, and was prepared for a friend's two young sons whom we intended to take caribou hunting but were thwarted by taylor highway road closures...

They shot this load very well, and I have no doubt it would have worked on caribou out to 200 yards. Recoil was almost nonexistant.

Shhoting at paper noticably increases recoil tooo..........~~LOL!!!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Shhoting at paper noticably increases recoil tooo..........~~LOL!!!!~~
    Quite true - yet again.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I almost always notice the noise when I've shot game. That's why I like 26 inch barrels.

I don't remember the recoil, but if it were unpleasant it the past, I'm sure my subconscious does.

In any case, the pain would remind me.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

In my experience I don't really hear the shot when I'm hunting. At the range you can put foam ear plugs in and ear muffs over to cut down on noise. But my ears are crappy due to automatic fire including .50cal. I know that a semi-auto .30-06 has noticeably less recoil than a bolt action.

Default I have the answer

I bought a 270 for my daughter to shoot for our trip to alaska that has a muzzle break. Yes a 270 you say. Well she is a smaller girl and want to start the training with as little recoil as possilble.

Well the neat thing about this one is that you can turn it on and off It's a youth model made by Savage. Open it while at the range and close in the field.

On a side note I always take hearing protection while hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I bought a 270 for my daughter to shoot for our trip to alaska that has a muzzle break. Yes a 270 you say. Well she is a smaller girl and want to start the training with as little recoil as possilble.

Well the neat thing about this one is that you can turn it on and off It's a youth model made by Savage. Open it while at the range and close in the field.

On a side note I always take hearing protection while hunting.
    I have a Weatherby Accumark in 300wby with the factory brake on it. While it reduces recoil substantially its very loud. I have to wear hearing protection when shooting it or my ears ring forever. The good thing about it is it screws on and off. When in the field you just take it off, put on the cap and your good to go. I don't really notice the recoil when hunting so I just use the brake at the range. I'd say if you can get a setup like this or like what tboehm has, go for it.

The NOISE of the shot contributes to the "preceived" recoil level. This is partly why when we shoot a 12 ga, with a heavy load, the recoil doesn't "feel" as bad as a 30-06, when it is actually approaching 375 H&H levels - the noise isn't as sharp as a rifle blast is.
    Recoil is about 75% mental preception and 25% foot pounds. The better you control muzzle blast, the less recoil you'll "feel" (up to a certain extent). A muzzle brake does NOTHING to control muzzle blast, it multiplies it. As a matter of fact, I'd be willing to bet you that if you shoot a braked rifle with your wife sitting next to you (or on the next bench) she will not want to ever shoot that rifle.
    get her something like a 243-708 and let her enjoy shooting. If you reload, you can adjust loads in most centerfires of 30 caliber to about 223 levels.
    Gary

You're going to get a lot of mixed reviews about muzzle brakes. Personally, I'd leave it alone and go .308 Winchester in the same weight rifle and call it good. Ultimately the only way to be certain is find a few installed brakes to try for yourself and for the wife and see what you both think. I'm confident you can find some willing shooters here on the forum....
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

I had a brake installed on my 300 win and reduced recoil quite a bit. I forget the gentleman that installed it for me but the ports on the brake are at a 45 degree angle and i believe that with the sound directed in a certain direction made the noise less for me and surrounding people alike. When i shot my moose in wide open tundra country the sound just vanished and was not loud at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast