Thread: Unusual attitude training

Default Unusual attitude training

Had for fun today that should be allow.... Went up with the guy that I got my tail dragger with and did some unusual attitude training and had a BLAST!! Did a couple of rolls, loops, spins and even a hammerhead. This stuff is better than crack.

tboehm
    Glad you had a good time. I recall my first couple of spin training flights and it was a great time. Be sure to pay attention to what the airplane is doing because the lesions you can lear in this training can save you life! Look and listen to what the airplane is doing just before the stall.

Just my nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Had for fun today that should be allow.... Went up with the guy that I got my tail dragger with and did some unusual attitude training and had a BLAST!! Did a couple of rolls, loops, spins and even a hammerhead. This stuff is better than crack.
    No need to tell you to be really careful with the hammerheads. Not many of us fly aircraft that will live through a tail slide . . . But the stalls, spins, and slips are excellent skill builders. They stock the old memory banks, too. A good thing any time.

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

What is a hammerhead?

A hammerhead is where you pull the plane up into a vertical climb and right when it's near a standstill you kick it over with rudder into a vertical dive. I did a few with the little bit of aerobatic training I did at Nielsen Aviation at Merrill Field in the 70's. They had a Decathelon, some Citabria's a Great Lakes and a Pitts. Anyone else remember that place?

One of the instructors there and a student had a bit of a scare doing hammerheads in the Pitts. The plane got too slow and fell into a tailslide. The reverse flow over the elevator took the stick out of the student's hand but he thought it was the instructor yanking the controls away from him so he let go and waited for the instructor to do something. The plane went into an inverted spin but the instructor could not reach his stick which was up against the firewall. The instructor finally managed to hook the stick with his leg and recover the plane at a rather low altitude. All the while the student was just looking "up" at the rapidly spinning earth wondering what the instructor was up to.
    Louis Knapp

Forget the fun and games. Use unusual attitude training as a serious tool. Doing recoveries while an instructor is there to bail you out is one thing. Doing them on your own when you hit turbulence that'll knock your teeth out is different. The training is only good if you take it seriously. Same with foggies. Don't cheat. Someday when you fly inadvertently into hard IFR the training might save your life. In those conditions you're on your own and there's no view of the ground out of the corner of your eye. Do or die.

Dang it – I just reread my post. My spelling sucked and I should have caught it.

I would like to inform any student pilots reading this, you will not get lesions from Unusual Attitude Training.

I meant to say “because the lessons you can learn could save your life”

Just my poorly spelled nickel,
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

My intent on this training is to make me a better pilot and able to get myself out of trouble in the event that something ever happen so I agree with Mr Pid. The by-product of it was that is was fun and exciting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    A hammerhead is where you pull the plane up into a vertical climb and right when it's near a standstill you kick it over with rudder into a vertical dive. I did a few with the little bit of aerobatic training I did at Nielsen Aviation at Merrill Field in the 70's. They had a Decathelon, some Citabria's a Great Lakes and a Pitts. Anyone else remember that place?

One of the instructors there and a student had a bit of a scare doing hammerheads in the Pitts. The plane got too slow and fell into a tailslide. The reverse flow over the elevator took the stick out of the student's hand but he thought it was the instructor yanking the controls away from him so he let go and waited for the instructor to do something. The plane went into an inverted spin but the instructor could not reach his stick which was up against the firewall. The instructor finally managed to hook the stick with his leg and recover the plane at a rather low altitude. All the while the student was just looking "up" at the rapidly spinning earth wondering what the instructor was up to.
    As they say in Scotland - - - - - HAY-SOOS!

Mr Pid is 100% correct, the training you do now can save your butt in the future. Learn from each lesson your instructor gives and have fun. Flying is a great but it can get ugly real quick too if your not paying attention.

You know this got me thinking[a amazing feat in itself]. Would not doing a hammerhead stall in a ordinary plane almost by necessity require
    a"accelerated stall"? I know the 150/152 s I learned in sure weren't going straight up hanging on the prop.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    You know this got me thinking[a amazing feat in itself]. Would not doing a hammerhead stall in a ordinary plane almost by necessity require
    a"accelerated stall"? I know the 150/152 s I learned in sure weren't going straight up hanging on the prop.
    Well - - - - - not quite. Remember that a hammerhead requires full rudder deflection to reverse the straight uphill climb. The attitude (straight up, rather than a near-routine climbing attitude) separates this maneuver from it's cousin, the spin. An accelerated stall isn't a 180-degree change in direction, as is the hammerhead. Finally, the hammerhead isn't really a stall, since several of the contnrol surfaces are still effective. If it were a full stall, a spin would surely result because of the rudder deflection.

Hey FloatPilot, do I have that about right?
    In a hammerhead, the airplane doesn't stall. The tail slide problem occurrs IF THE AIRPLANE STALLS!

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Don't want to pee on your parade, but ain't these "aerial acrobatic" (aerobatic) maneuvers? And, if so, don't they require the wearing of a 'chute? But, I won't tell if you won't.