Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another bear and a broken gun...

Default Another bear and a broken gun...

Got this nice sow couple days ago, fattened up and eatin' on ol' gut piles. got a litttle sticky sortin' her out in the brush and finishing her off at 30 yards. super super hide on her. just a shade under 8'.

client drove past me on the fourwheeler, and i yelled to stop, but noooooo. drive right into the end of my gun boot...
    just for anyone out there going on a guided hunt, if you break the stock on your guides $3000 rifle, please please at least offer to fix it or at least TIP!!!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

What a piggy! I still have a NICE .416 for sale....

i still have a nice .416 too...but my stock now sucks...lol its going back to the shop for an overhaul this month.
    Master guide 212

Nice bear......bummer about the stock.

Your client got a bear like that, busted your stock, AND then stiffed you on a tip?

Just WOW.

WOW, HE BROKE THE NULA! That SUX!!!! Nice bear though...

In the photo, it appears to have been gutshot. Is that the reason for having to followup? What brand of stock are you choosing to put on the rifle? Good Bear for sure, I like to see the sows taken out.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

NO TIP!! Really??

Some people... jeeshish.

It seems to me that more and more often people are having higher and higher expectations for guided hunts, to the point where at times a hunter expectations are completely un-realistic. As in BRWNBR's case... Who in their right mind would think that it's ok to hire a guide expect him or her to bust their ass's for them (which I'm sure BRWN did), get the bear of their dreams, destroy the guides equipment and then not tip? unacceptable.

Reminds me of what a friend of mine that runs a charter up here in Kodiak told me the other day. All his clients from down south always say "...yeah ya' know we just want a couple big halibut and some king salmon and we'll be happy".

Having this mind set only sets you up for disappointment. Have fun and enjoy your time afield regardless of the outcome if you get what your after all the better and if you break someone else's ****..... well than you better pony up cause the toys it takes to play this games we do don't come cheap.

Glad you had another successful hunt, sorry to hear about the gun... and the tip.

the fact that this hunt required you to go into tight quarters with a wounded bear merits a tip of its own. Trashing your gun and not offering to atleast help cover the repair costs is just plain old disrespectful. Once again, nice job putting a client on a good bear.

Separate from guided hunts I know more than one charter captain that got out of fishing and switched to whale watching because of some pretty rediculous clients.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Love the bear; the broken stock, not so much. Congrats on providing a great hunt.

You could save some money and run the .416 with a pistol grip......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    In the photo, it appears to have been gutshot. Is that the reason for having to followup? What brand of stock are you choosing to put on the rifle? Good Bear for sure, I like to see the sows taken out.
    That is a New Ultralight Arms 416 and NULA is known for having very light stocks (the lightest in the industry) so I imagine it will go back to them for a refit. Pretty sorry deal to break someones rifle and not offer to cover the cost of getting it repaired. I have a feeling if that client calls back for another hunt that Jake will be "all booked up"...

lol i'll be all booked up or my price will have doubled.
    It is a New ultra light arms as lujon said and will have to go back to WV to get a new stock put on it, not sure if he'll charge me for it or not, i'm guessing he will. no biggie the guns worth another stock for sure. custom LOP, good fit...can't beat the right stock. its a strong stock and i've never had a problem until a four wheeler drove into it....uhhg. i was afraid to pull the trigger with it like that.
    YA to the gut shot and the hole in the top of its foot, i got one shot into it before it sped outa there. but gut shot bears are usually pretty calm when you catch them in the brush..they don't like movin' much if they can help it.
    Didn't care so much about the tip...about 10 percent of clients don't tip..but the not offering to help fix my gun really buggered me a bit...glad we got a bear at least...
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    lol i'll be all booked up or my price will have doubled.
    It is a New ultra light arms as lujon said and will have to go back to WV to get a new stock put on it, not sure if he'll charge me for it or not, i'm guessing he will. no biggie the guns worth another stock for sure. custom LOP, good fit...can't beat the right stock. its a strong stock and i've never had a problem until a four wheeler drove into it....uhhg. i was afraid to pull the trigger with it like that.
    YA to the gut shot and the hole in the top of its foot, i got one shot into it before it sped outa there. but gut shot bears are usually pretty calm when you catch them in the brush..they don't like movin' much if they can help it.
    Didn't care so much about the tip...about 10 percent of clients don't tip..but the not offering to help fix my gun really buggered me a bit...glad we got a bear at least...
    Class act, Jake.
    Guy shoulda fixed the smokepole...bonehead.
    A tip should have also been forthcoming for such a quality hunt and bruin...
    Proud to be an American!

Client didnt make good?? Thats no good.

Buy yourself an M-39 MosinNagant, a case of Czeck LPS 147gr FMJ's and lead(or follow) the hunters without fear

300$ for one in 100% and 150$ for 880 rounds of Czeck.

Im sure the extra weight would be well worth the accurace you can squeeze outta one. I dont know if they are the "lightest" but my girls pack one all day just like the wife.

Just a question as well...is it normal to have a guide shoot a Bear also? Surly a situational thang...?

Good luck.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Great looking bear. At the risk of sounding like a broken record since all of your hunts seem to turn out spectacularly, well done yet again, sir!

As for the broken gear, man...that's a bummer. Last year my wife and I were flown in for her goat hunt by Scenic Mountain Air. When we were picked up we were rushing to get loaded due to rapidly descending clouds that threatened to keep us on the ground. In my haste to get in I tripped over one of the headset cords and ruined one of the cables. The first words out of my mouth (other than perhaps a quickly muttered expletive) were "how much do I owe you to fix that"? As soon as we landed I paid for the damage, as any reasonable person would. I just can't imagine the mindset of someone who figures that should be part of the cost of service that had already been paid.

Nice work Jake once again. That is a beauty of a sow. Sorry about the rifle. Just glad I didn't do that to it on our goat hunt as you were more concerned with your rifle strapped to my pack than the person strapped into the pack as we were in the sketch crags. Glad the hunt worked out in the end. I'll give ya a jingle after both our seasons slow down. Congrats again on finding another beautiful critter no doubt. You have a gift for finding good bears no doubt and no 150 lb pack for 5 miles probably didn't hurt your feelings too much I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Just a question as well...is it normal to have a guide shoot a Bear also? Surly a situational thang...?
    Very normal. The goal is to put the animal down to stay. If first shot doesn't do that, guides chip in. Wading into brush, and the possibility of a lost wounded animal out weigh whatever other factors might make one think the guide should not shoot.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Sorry to hear about your stock but congrats on another successful hunt and a great looking grizz!

MT;
    "Very normal. The goal is to put the animal down to stay. If first shot doesn't do that, guides chip in. Wading into brush, and the possibility of a lost wounded animal out weigh whatever other factors might make one think the guide should not shoot."

Makes good sense, I guess...... Ive never had a guided hunt, so I am just askin' dumb questions, as I have zip experiance in such matters.....the goal is a better understanding anyway, though it may not be my way of doing things, I now understand.
    Thanx.....Very Good, carry on
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Another great job, Jake. Sorry about the stock and the hunters driving skills. For the price of the Ultralight they should have a lifetime warranty, like Leupold. Maybe they do???

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast