Thread: How Much Did My Bear Weigh?

Default How Much Did My Bear Weigh?

This one: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ort-and-Photos)
    Can you estimate from the pics, and dimensions? It's 9'-2" with a 27-7/16 inch skull.

My sons and others have asked me multiple times, and I give them a broad range (based on inconsistent/contradictory information in various books), but I'm not sure it's correct. I'm curious as well myself. Anyone have an educated guess?

Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert but using the pics of you and your guide it looks to be between 500-600lbs. Never have seen one brought out whole and weighed though so it's always a WAG!

He's fairly well muscled and obviously older based on skull size. That leads to greater bone density and weight. He doen't strike me as a particularly HUGE bear, he's in the big class. I also agree with the above guess and lean towards 600.

i'd lean in the 600-800 range. joe want might have a better guess i belive he's actually weighed bears before...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Since no one weighed it, tell them 1100 pounds, people outside will believe it.

Otherwise, I'd go with brwnbr. Congrats on the bear.

I'll also say around 600 but if he had hit a good salmon stream believe he could hit 800 easy
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks to all for the estimates.

I'm probably guilty of wishful thinking, but I don't want to exaggerate anything. I assumed he was more along the lines of what BRWNBR says. I was thinking even a little higher as 700-900 lbs, but I don't know since I didn't weigh him, and haven't weighed any other bears.

Here was/is my thinking:

According to this guy, the average harvested mature brown bear bull is 725 lbs: http://www.bowhunting.net/bearhunting.net/bear2.html

Does anyone know if that is correct? I've had surprising trouble finding much real data on this. Based on his skull size at least, this guy is bigger than average. (I read that, even on Kodiak, the average skull size for males is less than 25").

Also, for example, in these pics, it looks clearly like, if you chopped me up into bits (please don't), you easily could fit at least four or five of me inside that bear hide (if he was hollow, and that doesn't count the weight of the hide). I weigh 185 lbs.

It looks to me like I would pretty much fit into one of his legs. If 4-5 MarineHawks would fit into that guy, he could be 800+ lbs easy. But I concede that I am not being scientific. Am I way off?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Since no one weighed it, tell them 1100 pounds, people outside will believe it.

Otherwise, I'd go with brwnbr. Congrats on the bear.
    Thanks!

I don't want to exaggerate. But I could tell a Clinton-like "truth" by simply saying: "He was a large male, and they can get up to 2,500 lbs."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bear

Ya, but ya gotta consider he's got a huge chest cavity with large lungs to propel that mass like a marathon runner. Thats alot of light space compared to a humans anatomy. So you could chop off one of those "marinehawk" weights from that I'd venture. Of course this is just fireside banter internet style.

I'm gonna up my ante though........725. He's really stout.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Ya, but ya gotta consider he's got a huge chest cavity with large lungs to propel that mass like a marathon runner. Thats alot of light space compared to a humans anatomy. So you could chop off one of those "marinehawk" weights from that I'd venture. Of course this is just fireside banter internet style.

I'm gonna up my ante though........725. He's really stout.
    Thanks for the estimate. I hadn't thought about the lung thing, but I'm not sure that would change things much. If you were considering whether the bear weighed as much as four or five Marinehawk based on the relative volumes of the bear and me, you logically would only deduct the volume of the bear's lungs that exceeded four or five times the volume of my lungs (i.e., people also have pretty big lungs relative to their body volume; and I have some empty head space to boot).

In the early 90's the average brownie taken was in the 450 pound area and squared seven feet.The big ones make the internet and the rest just go on the wall. I believe the averaage age back then was 3 1/2 years old
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    In the early 90's the average brownie taken was in the 450 pound area and squared seven feet.The big ones make the internet and the rest just go on the wall. I believe the averaage age back then was 3 1/2 years old
    Interesting AW. I wish someone would publish good averages by sex; spinrg/fall; size to the half foot; etc ...

I've seen it in a few books but the weight ranges vary considerably.

FWIW, this guy was fairly old. Unless he really failed to brush his teeth early on:

Hopefully Joe Want will chime in. As I recall he has actually weighed bears in the field ("on the hoof" so to speak or on the paw in this case) and could have some actually hard numbers. You might consider a PM to Joe.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"