Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of country is Nikiski?

Default What kind of country is Nikiski?

I have been looking around in Alaska classifieds for property.
    I see a couple 1.5 acre lots adjoining in the Nikiski area. Plot maps look fine. well is in, looped driveway is in, septic, with RV dump, is in. power is in. has a storage shed.
    Gravel is in wooded, on a knoll.
    price is right for me.....have to buy both lots for a total of 3 acres.
    my research shows around 500 population.

I wish to fish, hunt moose and bear.
    travel to hunt Bou and perhaps bison.

any BAAAADDD drawbacks?

What's your political persuasion and views on the government? The folks in Nikiski tend to be very anti-government, mind your own business, shoot first & bury the body later types. They often border on extreme right-wing malitia types. It's an end of the road area with lots of room around residences. The basis is industrial and a large portion of the population includes oil field workers who commute to remote 2/2 work sites or work at the local Tesoro refinery (one of only 3 refineries in the whole state). The single highway that runs through the area is lined with metal frame and sheetmetal sided oil field support businesses. Everyone owns an old school bus and they cover their shops and sheds with blue tarps.

You'd still be 20 minutes from the closest Wal-Mart, Lowe's, Home Depot, and all the fast food chains. The world famous Kenai river is also a mere 20 minutes away, but you have a number of good year round fishing spots right in Nikiski. You can moose hunt off your back porch and there are some bears around. Better moose & bear hunting grounds are within an easy hour's drive. No local 'bou hunting, but you'd be parked right next to a dozen float plane lakes that have fly in services for the West Side hunts. No bison round here.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Nikiski (Nikishka)...

... is not a country yet, though some out there (Michigan immigrants) would like it to be.

Nice country, but much colder than AZ. It actually has its own weather compared to Kenai, as the East Foreland catches more snow, etc.

Of course, it will all go to hell if they put in a bridge and make it a bedroom community for Anchorage.

Quote Originally Posted by bilbo View Post
    I have been looking around in Alaska classifieds for property.
    I see a couple 1.5 acre lots adjoining in the Nikiski area. Plot maps look fine. well is in, looped driveway is in, septic, with RV dump, is in. power is in. has a storage shed.
    Gravel is in wooded, on a knoll.
    price is right for me.....have to buy both lots for a total of 3 acres.
    my research shows around 500 population.

I wish to fish, hunt moose and bear.
    travel to hunt Bou and perhaps bison.

any BAAAADDD drawbacks?
    Sayak is not too far away.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... it will all go to hell if they put in a bridge and make it a bedroom community for Anchorage.
    This will never happen. Due to the bottomless mud of Turnagain Arm, the 2nd largest tides on the entire continent, and the extreme winds, putting a bridge from Anchorage to the Peninsula is all but physically impossible.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    This will never happen. Due to the bottomless mud of Turnagain Arm, the 2nd largest tides on the entire continent, and the extreme winds, putting a bridge from Anchorage to the Peninsula is all but physically impossible.
    And praise the Lord for that!
    Fast ferry?

This will never happen. Due to the bottomless mud of Turnagain Arm.
    Odd, what with the bed rock walls on both sides of Turnagain Arm.

There was much talk about a fast ferry at one point. But running a ferry between Anchorage (they'd have to use the port) and Kenai (the city dock is about the only place that one could comfortably unload a ferry and it would require extensive upgrades to accommodate that). The water route distance from Anch to Kenai is about 85 miles. A 30-knot ferry would take nearly 3 hours to make that trip... depending on which way the tide was going at the time. Add an hour on the departure end for ticketing and loading and you're going to burn 4 hours using a ferry to get here. Or you can drive it in 2 1/2 hours and probably spend less on gas than you would on the ferry ticket.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Odd, what with the bed rock walls on both sides of Turnagain Arm.
    Next time you drive by at low tide, glance out over the arm. It's full of glacial mud. ;-)
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

You might take a look at Google Earth and check out your neighbors. And make sure you're not downwind from the refinery.

Next time you drive by at low tide, glance out over the arm. It's full of glacial mud. ;-)
    I hike out there a fair amount, and I can see Turnagain Arm from my cabin. I just find it hard to accept that the clay/silt is 300 miles deep, or endless as you stated. There was infact a study done in the 70's to bridge from Bird Point to Sniper Point the narrowest spot on the arm. It **** sure will not happen in my life time, but I would not say that it will never happen.

"...Everyone owns an old school bus and they cover their shops and sheds with blue tarps."

sounds like rural Yavapai County here in Arizona.
    I have lived in AZ only 9 years. Lived in NW Oregon for 15....High Sierra mid Cali area for 39 years.
    Fought LOTS of snow....just not quite so low temps (10 above to 15 below winters. Snow 4 feet overnight sometimes. Plowed 33' snow in spring over back country passes).
    I realize it would be colder than Arizona .....
    I cannot believe it would be worse than being surrounded by pulp mills re odors.
    I have an Arctic-pak TETON 5th wheel, big enough to live in, towed by an International 9400 tractor.
    I am footloose and ready to go somewhere soon.
    I have experienced a lot of different situations in my life.
    I don't worry about things being different than I have experienced. People who already experienced the areas have not experienced what I have in life's entirety.
    A life-loving individual must be flexible, durable and excited about new things that are part of their future plans. Just might mosey on up there next year.
    independently poor....a wife who love adventures with me....lots of guns and ammo....red meat lover....just might have to buy me some new insulated Carharts, though.
    thank you for your input, guys.
    Rainfall? Snowfall? prevailing winds? crime stats? property taxes?

Ah, Bilbo, you're perfect for Nikiski. Buy it!

It rains, but nothing like NW Oregon. Mostly a light drizzle that can go on for days at a time. Almost no T-storms or similar downpours.

It snows but don't expect to accumulate more than 18-24 inches over the whole winter (packed).

There's wind. It's usually out of the south, but there will be ocasional wind storms out of the northeast. While there are a few small rolling hills around some of the lakes, the terrain in Nikiski is flat-land covered with white spruce, alder, and cottonwood forest. There are hundreds of lakes and lots of "swamp" land with black spruce. Winds can rip through pretty good and these storms tend to knock over trees and take down power lines, so power outages are not uncommon.

The average winter temperatures are going to run between 10 to 20 above zero. There will be cold snaps in Jan & Feb that will push it down to minus 20 for a week or two at a time. When it warms back up to 15 above, you'll be running around in shorts and a t-shirt in no time. Install a block heater on your truck.

Crime is extremely low. Violent crime is pretty much contained to Domestic Violence and alcohol. Property crime is always a concern, but in our remote areas where everyone is toting a gun, the criminals have to be on guard and tend to stick to easy targets (abandoned and vacant properties).

Property taxes are collected by the borough (county) and they are very low compared to what you're probably paying down in America. There is a borough sales tax and the nearby cities of Kenai and Soldotna have an added sales tax on top of the borough one.

Your police are provided by the Alaska State Troopers. Response times can easily exceed an hour depending on severity of the request and what else is going on around the Central Kenai. For the most part, consider yourself on your own when it comes to police and crime.

The borough has 2 fire stations in Nikiski that run fire, rescue, and paramedic ambulance services. Those guys do pretty good work and you'll get a break on your home insurance based on your distance from one of these stations.

There is no water or sewer in Nikiski, you have to use well & septic. Nikiski is a community, not an incorporated city.

Good luck. Maybe we'll see you next summer?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Sayak is not too far away.
    Oh yeah? Watch your back KTKN. I might not be too far away from you either.
    P.S. is your whole float trip thingie thread just a big joke that you perpetrated from your computer in Ketchikan... inquiring minds want to know.

Oh yeah? Watch your back KTKN. I might not be too far away from you either.
    P.S. is your whole float trip thingie thread just a big joke that you perpetrated from your computer in Ketchikan... inquiring minds want to know.
    Your inquiring mind needs to look at the picts.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Your inquiring mind needs to look at the picts.
    I looked at the pix. Great use of Photoshop.

Naw, I'm just so jealous of your two weeks off with your son and the animals you got. That is an awesome thread you put together.

Bilbo, I live out the other direction. I still spend plenty of time on Island and Stormy Lakes. If it wasn't so far from my job I would live out there

I looked at the pix. Great use of Photoshop.
    Hey, that took a lot of creativity.

the 2nd largest tides on the entire continent
    I thought it was the second largest tides in the world, behind the Bay of Bengal in India (no idea where in India, but I remembered the name), but I could be mistaking.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I thought it was the second largest tides in the world, behind the Bay of Bengal in India (no idea where in India, but I remembered the name), but I could be mistaking.
    Bay of Bengal? I heard Bay of Fundy, then Cook Inlet, then Bristol Bay.

Bay of Bengal? I heard Bay of Fundy, then Cook Inlet, then Bristol Bay.
    That sounds right. I do think that the bengal tigers are neat though
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast