Thread: Artic Kote

Question Artic Kote

I have a Browning FN that needed rebluing so I went with the Artic kote black finish............anyone else use Artic Kote?

Just turned in my gun today to Garry.........hope it turns out good!
    Alaska

Is a good and durable finish but kind of on the pricey side He did one of my remington 700;s that turned out nice. But I have since started sending my guns to black ice coatings for their teflon finish it is very durable and required no lubrication once it is coated which is great for the cold and it is about 1/2 the price as artic kota

One of my custom rifles was arctic koted by AGW too, looks like he did a good job with the finish, so far I am satisfied.

Black Ice Coatings all the way. Can't say enough about it! Check it out...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

I think I wanta do the cericoat out to advanced coatings, I was thinking olive drab for an ar. If they do it to hi perf pistons must be real tough
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

All of the Teflon or Spray on coatings will wear under hard use.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    Black Ice Coatings all the way. Can't say enough about it! Check it out...
    Had a mod 70 done by them and it turned out great. Haven't put it through much abuse since then so not sure how long it will hold up but it looks and feels good now.

I have put about 3500 rounds through one of my AR's that I had them do with the teflon and you can notice slight rubbing on the inside of the receiver where the bolt carrier rubs but that is to be expected if your expectations are higher than that then there is nothing to satisfy you except getting your gun coated every year or something. There are no blemishes on the outside and this AR gets BEAT on my atv and predator hunting.

All of the Teflon or Spray on coatings will wear under hard use.
    Point being what? I'll take my teflon, which covers the entire gun, sans bore. Impervious to pretty much everything except maybe brake cleaner. I don't get those knocking it, so I should just stay with blueing, and do all of the things that people on here mention to include; car wax, spray paint, numerous petrolium products and other gooey substances that pretty much all smell vs getting teflon and being DONE? Don't have to worry about moisture, rust, salt water, mud etc. Nothing sticks to teflon, so after shooting, especially ARs, you just wipe the powder residue off with a rag. Nothing quite like taking out a AR bolt and just wiping it clean in about 20 seconds. I understand to each his own, but I'll pay the very reasonable amount that Lee charges to have the piece of mind and not have to worry about lubrication anymore either (forgot that part). The amount of time maintaining your firearm is cut to almost nil. Spend that time reloading, time with the family etc. Again, to each his own, I'll stay with the teflon, thanks!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    Point being what?
    Point? I personally prefer my firearms not to look like the bottom of a Walmart frying pan used in camp. My RMA tefloned Custom BHP shows holster wear but I treat it like gold accordingly my next aftermarket finish will be Nitride. To each his own, I'll pay the $300 for a finish with a Rockwell of 56 applied by the same folks who do OEM finishing for firearms manufacturers.

And I dont clean my AR until it stops working. My AR is just a classier and more accurate AK

YMMV. Just making sure that folks know there are better options than teflon

That's cool. No problem, I like the flat black look personally. Lee charges about half what you're talking about. I have no personal knowledge of others who teflon, but Black Ice Coatings does Christensen Arms and has picked up some other custom makers as well. He did engineering work for NASA and the Shuttle program, only uses Du Pont teflon, I'm just saying his quality is first rate. He has some testimonials on his site of guys up here that slid down the mountain in shale with rifle totally getting thrashed and not a scratch. Not saying teflon is end all of all finishes, just that I have several guns done by him and they are all outstanding and very pleased with it. when you figure how often people buy stainless, they can buy the blued version and have it tefloned for probably less than the difference between the stainless price. Something to think about...
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge

I've been looking at this Physical Vapor deposition done by:

http://www.springerprecision.com/

They advertise its 2.5 times stronger than Melonite, which I believe is the same as the Nitride?

Anyone had this PVD thing done that can comment?

Skip the arctic cote and send it out. Ro-Bar does nice work.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

The Ro-Bar NP3 is about the ultimate in firearm finishes. Not quite as hard as nitride, but half the price, and better lubricity. They can also do the inside of the bore, which I don't think can be done with any other coating at the moment.
    Gun-Steuerung arbeitet für uns!
    (let us not repeat history...)

I had my 338 Ruger done a couple of years ago and love it

I had a hk p7 done in np3 by robar. After thousands of rounds, it still looks like new. Its a little slippery to hold onto.

rifle has been turned in for Artic kote.........really did not want to ship it out of town.

Really like the Black Ice info............thanks
    Alaska

Some of this stuff sounds like the ticket for a gun that goes on salt water often....have to check some of this out. The bolt on my brand new stainless browning got rusted and doesn't seem to want to go away.... I didn't know that you can have bolts coated...good to know.