Thread: rugger 204???

Default rugger 204???

kinda a small round but could it take down a wolf with the right load?

jd,
    You are opening up a huge can of worms here. You'll get the "it's irresponsible..." "the absolute miniumu you should use is..." and every point in between. Personally, "my opinion", yes, under the right circumstances, yes. I'm ordering a WOA upper in 20 Practical next week. I will be setting it up for dogs. I will hopefully be shooting the 40gr Bergers out of it. If I had a wolf at 200 or less and a broadside shot, I would take it. There is virtually no recoil with these rounds, so the possibility of a or more follow up shots are possible. Again, if I had a broadside shot and felt confident I could place the shot into heart or lung I'd absolutely take it. There is a ton of info out there on Predator Masters.com, Saubier.com, 6mmBR.com. Lots of guys dropping coyotes in their tracks out to 350. Remember you're gonna get a lot of input here. But it all comes down to you, how well you shoot, how confident you are in your abilities and the gun your hunting with. I shot a Pit Bull in Texas that had just killed on of our baby goats, I called him back in, he was about 60 yds in a slow trot, broadside. I shot him with a 22-250 with a Speer 52gr HP going 3760fps, he didn't even flinch. I thought I missed, but was like no way, he took about five more steps and literally fell over dead. He was a very large Pit Bull, one of the biggest I've ever seen. If you shoot em where they breath, they'll die. This should be good, I'll sit back and enjoy. Good luck...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Yes you can kill a wolf with a .204ruger Shot placement is key shoot it in the heart or lungs and it will die. It wouldnt be my first choice of round for a wolf but thats not the question at hand. I would just use your AR and 69 or 72gr.

Bsj,
    I read your other post, are you serious? Someone cut the tree down you had your trail cam on? Unbelievable man, sorry to hear that. Thieves bring out the absolute worst in me. I'll stop here cause I'm starting to think bad thoughts that I'm tempted to write down here, but I'll refrain. Truly sorry to hear that. Sorry, I didn't mean to divert the direction of the post...So far, plus 2 for yes, kill the wolf!
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    Bsj,
    I read your other post, are you serious? Someone cut the tree down you had your trail cam on? Unbelievable man, sorry to hear that. Thieves bring out the absolute worst in me. I'll stop here cause I'm starting to think bad thoughts that I'm tempted to write down here, but I'll refrain. Truly sorry to hear that. Sorry, I didn't mean to divert the direction of the post...So far, plus 2 for yes, kill the wolf!
    Yeah I guess they thought that would be the PERFECT birch tree to keep them warm and while they are at it they will just take my cam that's attached to it. I have gone back to the area almost daily to see if there is anyone cutting wood there but havent seen anyone since then. they cut down that tree and 2 more next to it. they also decided to leave about 3 feet of stump they could of used if they would of taken the extra time to cut it off at the base. Not only are they theives they were lazy. I am over it now but was pretty bummed when I first went out there.

A 204 will take down a wolf with the proper bullet choice & placement. Of course a 22LR would probably do it to, but again bullet placement is the crucial element here. If you can shoot the 204 and you're happy with it, go for it.

Bsj,
    That's real low of somebody to take your trail cam, if I hear of anybody "coming across" a trail cam, I'll let you know.

thanks guys
    im thinking about building and .204upper im really not worried about shot placement...I just want some heat behind the round that will do the job.

hahahahah Brandon where was it at on old murphy rd. Im sorry I would shoot someone lol. I have a 4 day this weekend wanna go out Monday ?

I will be in Anchorage sunday/monday to pick up the wife and kid from the airport. you're off tomorrow tho right? Its snowing pretty good right now so if any of it sticks around we should be able to pick up some tracks. Especially where we usually go by code name tree farm haha. And thanks for the look out guys it was a week old Primos truth cam 35.

.204 will do great on a wolf. Shot placement and round choice matter, but that's typical with all guns.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

on a good note we should probably go out this evening I went to tree farm this morning and picked up a couple grouse. It appears there are a few wolves in the area right now I busted out some howls on the fox pro after seeing tracks and got a response couldnt tell how far away tho as it just echoed off the hills.

I wish I would of put something down for a size reference because this track was BIG

The wife and I have to go to a dinner tonight