Thread: Looking for Quick Load help ASAP...

Default Looking for Quick Load help ASAP...

Gentleman,

I have posted here for about 3 years. I am trying to assist a good friend with a new rifle project.

His rifle is a new McMillan TAC 6.5x47 Lapua based on the .308 platform. His barrel is 24 inches and he will be using Lapua brass, CCI 400 primers and 123gr Lapua Scenar bullets. The powder that he has in abundance is IMR 8028 XBR.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-ri...al-tac-308.php

If any of you guys have Quick Load software or equivalent I would greatly appreciate your starting load assistance. We're trying to get this baby dialed in prior to a long range rifle class on the 16th and 17th.

If it matters, average temps are 95, elevation is 1750. The barrel, powder, brass, bullets and primer are listed above.

Thanks in advance,

Marshall
    Last edited by marshall; 10-06-2010 at 21:10. Reason: typo

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Gentleman,

I have posted here for about 3 years. I am trying to assist a good friend with a new rifle project.

His rifle is a new McMillan TAC 6.5x47 Lapua based on the .308 platform. His barrel is 24 inches and he will be using Lapua brass, CCI 400 primers and 123gr Lapua Scenar bullets. The powder that he has in abundance is IMR 8028 XBR.

http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-ri...al-tac-308.php

If any of you guys have Quick Load software or equivalent I would greatly appreciate your starting load assistance. We're trying to get this baby dialed in prior to a long range rifle class on the 16th and 17th.

If it matters, average temps are 95, elevation is 1750. The barrel, powder, brass, bullets and primer are listed above.

Thanks in advance,

Marshall
    If you don't have data for that cartridge, using that powder, this could be an indication that it is not a suitable powder to use for that cartridge. Don't use that powder, regardless of what the QL Software tells you.

If you have the data, you don't need QL.

If you rely, on QL's pressure estimates, I'll bet that sooner, or later, you'll find that it's Reely Rong.

Just tryin to help.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thanks Smitty. However, there is a lot of data with this powder in the 308 case family. The 6.5x47 is just another version but data is scarce. The IMR-8028XBR powder is new and the current crop of manuals doesn't have any data with it in any cartridge.

Hodgdon web site is full of data with other 6mm and 6.5mm offerings but they don't even show the 6.5x47 in their list. I have an idea based on the 6.5 Japanese, (6.5mmx50) but it uses a heavier bullet and is generally loaded to reproduce WW-II offerings.

I was hoping to get a starting load with someones gee whiz computer generated data using modern cases, pressures and lighter bullets. In other cartridges were 8028XBR is used it generally starts a full grain less than H-4895 or a full grain more than Benchmark. If all else fails I'll start there and work up with traditional methods.

Research has shown that the heavier bullets in this class use a slower powder than the 8028XBR but he's fat on the 123gr Scenars so it may work out.

Default 6.5x47 Lapua per QL

I don't have the XBR powder listed in my QL .....however with H4895 and a .264 dia. 123 gr. Scenar I would start out with 37gr at 95% fill...don't know your seating depth but this is with 2.8" cart. length and with a 24" bbl. approximating at 2789 fps with 54838 psi chamber press. QL plug ins..mind you

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    I don't have the XBR powder listed in my QL .....however with H4895 and a .264 dia. 123 gr. Scenar I would start out with 37gr at 95% fill...don't know your seating depth but this is with 2.8" cart. length and with a 24" bbl. approximating at 2789 fps with 54838 psi chamber press. QL plug ins..mind you
    Thank you very much Grizz. I'll start at 36gr with the IMR-8028XBR and go up in 0.7gr increments. I will plot a pressure curve and report findings on here. Once again, thanks for your assistance.

By the way, factory Lapua loads with the 123gr Scenar were running 2850fps and cratering the heck out of the primers, go figure. We shot a few to set the zero, the rifle is very promissing.

The precession of the build by McMillan was exceptional. The mounted scope set to zero on the windage hit dead center on the vertical line at 100 yards right out of the box. Only the elevation needed adjustment because of the 20MOA rail.

yep, welcome! share the results with us. It is always of interest to me to compare actual Load/range/chrono results with QL

Grizz,

I did a little more checking and found a few bench rest shooters loading 120gr Match King's over RL-15 to velocities exceeding 3000fps. We aren't looking for land speed records just good speeds and accuracy.

Engineering specs shows the 6.5x47 is designed to max a pressure of 63090psi. We loaded the following samples for testing with IMR-8208XBR and 123gr Scenars.

1.) 34.9
    2.) 35.6
    3.) 36.3
    4.) 37.0
    5.) 37.7

By measureing the outside limits of the hole and subtracting bullet diameter all loads shot better than 1/2" at 100yards. Load 2 and 4 shot an incredible .170"

Load 5 was just over 3000fps, it will be considered to hot. I'm away from home at the moment, I will report actual measured velocities when I get back in a few days.

He's planning on shooting this rifle at McMillan's long range class this weekend. I'm taking my new 338LM which is shooting 300gr Berger's very well over Retumbo. I'll finish the write up on that one in a few days too.