Thread: Wright air...

Default Wright air...

Hey I'm trying to book a sheep hunt into the Brooks for next year. I called Wright air to get info and they said they wouldn't be able to get me any info for 3 weeks. Apparently their info guy is out of the office till then.

They have come highly recommended but to fly from Fairbanks to the Brooks seems like a long way and may be pretty costly. Can anyone PM with some prices that they've seen from them? I'd like to not wait three weeks to find out that I need to look elsewhere.

Thanks

Depends on where in the Brooks you want to go and the Air frame, they have a 207 and a couple of helios...alot depends on Tach time but for a ball park figure for two ....your looking at around $4500- $4800 ( ballpark figure, could be more or less), thats assuming you want to go on the North Side of the Range...

They are a first class outfit. Are you sure you want to find a cut rate plane ride? Best wishes. J.

contact coyote air in coldfoot

The cost would be total air fair and not per person, right?

Oldrgr - Yes, that's exactly what I am looking for...the cheapest outfit with the worst reputation possible. Come on!

What I am trying to figure out is, who has a good deal for what they have to offer and what I can AFFORD! AFFORDABILITY is an issue for some people. Some outfits are just too much money. And just because they are first rate doesn't mean there aren't others out there that are just as good and possibly cheaper. Right now I'm trying to find out who those people are and what they charge so I can make an informed decision.

Check with Kirk Sweetsir, Yukon air service out of Fort Yukon. You will find noone better to fly with and depending on where your going he may be the closest to your destination (cheapest). You will have to catch one of Wrights comm flights to Fort Yukon and back which currently runs $260 round trip plus baggage, and there are 2 flights there a day.

$4K is what I and my buddy paid this year. They will shuttle you to Ft Yukon and/or Arctic Village depending on weather and the volume of other hunters.

Thanks guys for the info!

PM sent . . . . .

ok Ill get some greif for this but bring it guys, I spent alot of time in the brooks and talked to alot a people. the northern brooks range sheep didnt do as well as the southern sheep did, as was the word being spread, even though I seen some nice ones come out from up north, and I did fly out and seen some nice rams no one would pass on. on the s. side. my transporter had a happy father, son double with huge rams one with rings a inch deep and wide, one old ram! in fact I almost traded in my moose hunt for a sheep hunt because there were rams in the area and he offered the switch. Im not sure why but howard doesnt get much credit on this site from a few members, but I booked with his service, arrowhead outfitters and could not have been any more pleased. as far as transporting he moved us 6 times to get into better or new areas, ask any other service and they will lauph you off the phone, they dont move you more than once. his prices are good as well, I believe his sheep start at 3200 or 3500 and he has some great sheep to put you on for sure im already planning more hunts with him next year.

Although I'm sure people have had positive experiences with the outfitter you mentioned Mr.Montana, I have heard far far too many negative reports from people, so has my partner. He's had personal aquaintances that had bad experiences. For us, it's not worth the gamble just to save some money. Maybe they've changed their tune up there with all the bad press they've recieved?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Flew with Dirk this year. Said he isn't taking on any new clients this year.

best bet is to fly into Ft. Yukon with Wright Air who by the way has some of the best pilots I've flown with in all of my years living in the bush. Bob the owner does a superb job of caring for his planes and hires the best pilots. Sweetsir is bush wise and has many hrs flying the "interior".......this is what you want, experience. With that comes a price. Watch that "fee" agent who in Ft. Yukon unloads Wrights planes and hauls the freight, pretty obstinant..too business like, I've seen some hunters getting off there and literally hauling there gear over to the adjacent lot if you will cause the guy would not help....lame.

Not sure about Wrights and their sheep drop offs, but from experience I would not use them on moose drop offs. Last year they dropped some out of state hunters less than a half a mile away from us in unit 20A. Friend had the same thing happen. I lost a lot of respect for them dropping hunters off so close, knowing we were already there.

Wrights is not the only carrier to Ft Yuk. Frontier/Hageland goes there as well................or maybe they are going by Era Alaska now.
    There are only so many safe places to land an airplane in wilderness alaska. I can understand the desire to have a certain amount of country all to ones self, but reality is safety is a factor in operating an off airport hunter drop biz.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Both Coyote and Wright are both great outfits. What made me pick Wright was cost. They were actually cheaper for a longer flight to the same location. Saved a few dollars and a long &(*_)^*^ ing ride to Cold Foot.
    I guess it truly boils down to how close you are to Cold Foot.

I have over 15 years of flying into the Brooks, 1st with Rodger Dowding (owner of Yukon Air before Kirk), then with Kirk when he was head pilot for Wright and at least a 1/2 doz flights with Wright after Kirk took over Yukon Air. I always flew in with one of my sons and therefore safety was of paramount importance to me. I can recommend Yukon Air or Wright's Air without reservation. The one thing that distinguishes them is that with Wright you will fly all the way from Fairbanks nonstop in a Helio which will carry two hunters and gear and can land in most (all?) cub strips. With Kirk you can be a bit more limited in that he flys a 180 (185?) and there are some strictly cub strips that he can not land on - he is very safety conscious and will not try to land somewhere that HE FEELS is not safe for him to land. Good luck on your hunt. I booked a flight with Dirk of Coyote a year ahead of time one year and he stood my son and I up. I would not have found out that he was not going to pick us up at Arctic Village if I had not called to confirm the flight. He apologized and said he had just over booked himself and "had meant to call me .... but just hadn't gotten to it!" This was two weeks prior to the scheduled flight - I was unable to find another flight in the following two weeks. We did hunt sheep that year but not on the north side of the Brooks.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"