Thread: Is it possible to wade fish the Kenai in the winter?

Default Is it possible to wade fish the Kenai in the winter?

Is it possible to do so or is it too dangerous? I am just trying to figure out some ways to extend the season and still get into some fish through most of the winter if possible. Or are there any other streams that are productive through the winter (periodically even)?
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Quote Originally Posted by jarredbehrendt View Post
    Is it possible to do so or is it too dangerous? I am just trying to figure out some ways to extend the season and still get into some fish through most of the winter if possible. Or are there any other streams that are productive through the winter (periodically even)?

Some fine wade fishing on the upper, ususally between the bridge and sportsmans. Later in the winter/early spring watch out for the ice rafts coming down.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Troutface (head) hit it on the nail. Wade fishing is possible through out the winter. Cooper landing bridge is a good spot to start then work your way down the highway hitting all the pullouts.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by jarredbehrendt View Post
    Now the last sentence in your post is where things get a bit tricky. Yes you can certainly wade fish the upper in the winter and have a fine time doing it with the right cold weather gear. However, if you're looking for a stream that is particularly "productive through the winter" you might want to head south.

Yes, there are fish to be caught in the upper in winter, but no, you will not catch fish every day. Most days, if you catch one, count your blessings. It's not like fishing the rivers in the lower 48 where if the water temps rise a degree, you could have a decent midge hatch and end-up with a stellar day, even though it's mid January. Most of the trout in the Kenai head to the lakes in winter. Fish and Game estimates that approx. 20% stay in the river.

Once again, though, it depends on your idea of success in fly-fishing. If you just enjoy wetting a line, and relish the opportunity to hone your casting skills any time you can, the fishing can be fantastic, but if you measure your fishing success primarily by the numbers of fish photographed in a day, the catching can leave a bit to be desired.

Thanks guys, throughout the winter I just aim to get out and hopefully catch something. Thanks for the replies!
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

It is very very possibile. Plus as the silvers roll in in november the fishing gets hot as hell on the upper river too. PM me with a number and Ill be glad to chat with you about it.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Best part about wading in the winter... You can retreat when it gets too cold!

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

ak powder monkey, That b&w pic is priceless, I'd frame that and hang it in my living room.

I have had days in jan. that were pretty good, but like Chuck said, fishing while the silvers are around really helps.
    If you ever stop at the bridge on kenai lake and see a guy standing on a ladder in the water its me! Say hi. Having a step stool or ladder really extends that amount of time you can fish! LOL

I never thought of a step stool or ladder. That's genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel E Fishin Sea View Post
    I never thought of a step stool or ladder. That's genius!
    Well I thought it was, but you wouldn't believe all the funny looks I get when I do it. But hey whatever works, I am standing there (out of the water) warm and dry and they're not.........LOL

Video of "ladder fishing" a lake. Same concept.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXox2S39eC8&feature=fvw

i like it. i've spent enough time chipping ice off my waders