Thread: Grayling close to Anchorage this time of year?

Default Grayling close to Anchorage this time of year?

I was wondering if there were any good spots to get into some grayling near anchorage (within 2 hours drive) during this time of year?
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

yes... look at ADF&G lake stocking in MatSu
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Try the mouths of some of the parks highway streams also. They will be making their way out of the smaller streams on their way to deeper water for the winter and fattening up as well so they should be fairly easy to catch. I've had pretty good success at sheep and willow but most of the parks streams have grayling present.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Thanks guys, I will look into all of those options.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Try the Kashwitna.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Try the Kashwitna.
    Symphony Lake if you want to hike 5 miles, Canoe Lake if you have a float tube.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

fishing kenai sept 2010 098.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jarredbehrendt View Post
    I was wondering if there were any good spots to get into some grayling near anchorage (within 2 hours drive) during this time of year?
    Yes and if you understand where fish go when it gets cold you will find them and catch them by the dozens. Better hurry though as the bite is slowing as the water is getting cold.

I second Canoe Lake. That is a pretty place to fish and the grayling fishing is decent.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Symphony Lake if you want to hike 5 miles, Canoe Lake if you have a float tube.

Fish On!
    Already did Symphany and it was a bust only saw some juvenilles less than 3 inches long, still was an awesome hike though! Where is Canoe at though? Could I use a canoe there or is it a hike?

Quote Originally Posted by jarredbehrendt View Post
    Already did Symphany and it was a bust only saw some juvenilles less than 3 inches long, still was an awesome hike though! Where is Canoe at though? Could I use a canoe there or is it a hike?
    Canoe is in the Kepler Bradley Lake system out in Wasilla/Palmer area. Yeah, bring a Canoe and go to the other end of the lake from the launch. You can drive almost right up to the lake. I'm pretty certain that you will catch one there.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Ya, I 3rd Canoe Lake -- canoe or kayak just around the bend, to the left is where I hook up with 'em -- lots of weed beds there and the grayling cruise those beds like sharks, action there can be red hot, almost fish on every cast. I have also caught some big bows in Canoe via float tube in summer, closer to the put in area.

You can get back to the prime grayling waters via float tube but it's a lot of paddling to cover that much distance and if the wind is blowing you'll work up quite a sweat and this time of year, wearing a wetsuit or not, that's too high risk for hypothermia in my concerted opinion

Cresent lake

Be sure and bring $5.00 for parking at Canoe Lake. ADF&G thought it would be a good idea to put in a bathroom and fee station and start charging $5.00 a vic to park. The good news is that fishing pressure has eased up dramatically since that fee station went in and the fishing has improved noticeably because of it.
    You will also hook into the occasional trout there. The biggest I have seen come out of there was 17", but so fat that I couldn't fit both my hands around it... That is not a typical fish in that particular body of water, but they are in there.
    If you are fly fishing, bring size 6-8 green buggers, size 12 prince nymphs, and brown adams', and EHC's in size 14-18.