Thread: Recover ATV Seats

Default Recover ATV Seats

I've got a 1986 Polaris Scrambler 250 3 Wheeler that I just got running again(carberator issue) that is in great condition except the seat. Put new mud lites on it also. I'd like to get it recovered and searched tne internet to find a cover for it, but there are not that many Scramblers out there as they only made them for 2 years and I've had mine now for about 6 years and never seen another one in Alaska yet. Does anyone have any experience in an upholsteryshop that has actually covered an ATV seat and have it look as good as factory. If so, who/where are they? Hopefully in Anchorage or the Valley.

Thanks

Mark

Johns upholstery in Wasilla is great

I had to have the rear seat in my GMC truck redone because of a leaking battery. Sullivans Custom Upholstery did a great job. Not sure if they do ATV seats but it would be worth a call (907) 277-4520.

I've also heard that Fine Line interiors does really good work. Again, not sure if they do ATV seats. (907) 349-4442.

Fine Line did my snowmachine seat and it looks great. I need to call them and have my Yamaha Kodiak seat done also.

Where are they at and did you order a cover and have them install it? I have a hole in the seat on my AC 700 quad so I am due for a new one. The rig is a nice copper color so it would be cool to have a something other than a plain black cover.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I've got a 1986 Polaris Scrambler 250 3 Wheeler that I just got running again(carberator issue) that is in great condition except the seat. Put new mud lites on it also. I'd like to get it recovered and searched tne internet to find a cover for it, but there are not that many Scramblers out there as they only made them for 2 years and I've had mine now for about 6 years and never seen another one in Alaska yet. Does anyone have any experience in an upholsteryshop that has actually covered an ATV seat and have it look as good as factory. If so, who/where are they? Hopefully in Anchorage or the Valley.

Thanks

Mark
    Nice, Im a big three wheeler fan, and have always wanted one of those Scramblers. There arent many around. I think one was on CL a year or so ago if I remember right. There is a little bit of cool information on Here and a good forum that you may or may not know about.

Quote Originally Posted by outnaboutnak View Post
    Nice, Im a big three wheeler fan, and have always wanted one of those Scramblers. There arent many around. I think one was on CL a year or so ago if I remember right. There is a little bit of cool information on Here and a good forum that you may or may not know about.

Cool site. Thanks!! I got it out of eagle river about 7 or 8 years ago from the orginal owner. Even the owners manual is in really good shape. I read someplace on line yesterday whild doing some more searching that there were only 1600 made, I've had a few offers to buy from two dealers when they saw it first time. One was pretty enticing, but I love old machines so I couldn't part with it. This thing really handles well and has a pair for a 250 utility 3 wheeler.

If you can't find a cover, you could always make one and staple it on yourself.

I bought a new cover for my Kodiak and took it to Sullivan's to have them install it. He wanted about $100 to "do it right". That seemed pretty expensive to me, just to staple a cover on. So, I bought a Surebonder 9600 pneumatic stapler and did it myself. For $32, the little stapler seems too inexpensive to be any good, but it worked great. It has a long-ish nose that lets you get into all the tight spots on the Kodiak seat base. And another good thing about it is that it takes regular T50 staples (I used some rustproof ones I had on the shelf), so you don't have to buy special upholstery staples.

Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    If you can't find a cover, you could always make one and staple it on yourself.

I bought a new cover for my Kodiak and took it to Sullivan's to have them install it. He wanted about $100 to "do it right". That seemed pretty expensive to me, just to staple a cover on. So, I bought a Surebonder 9600 pneumatic stapler and did it myself. For $32, the little stapler seems too inexpensive to be any good, but it worked great. It has a long-ish nose that lets you get into all the tight spots on the Kodiak seat base. And another good thing about it is that it takes regular T50 staples (I used some rustproof ones I had on the shelf), so you don't have to buy special upholstery staples.

Just a thought.
    Rod,

Just curious on what material you used and how did it lay on the corners? Did it bunch up or did it pull and stretch well? I'm not opposed to doing it myself.

Mark

Thanks for the info Rod. I think I will do my own as well. I will have to dig out the bostich finish nailer and see if it can be set up for staples when I get back. I would think that a little heat from a hair dryer should make it pretty easy to stretch nice and tight. Rod if you were able to post some pics of the finished seat I would really like to see it!

There's the upholstery gallery in Palmer behind Palmer Bar next to the Laundry Mat. He does good work, turn around time is good, and he charges a decent price for his work.

832 S Colony Way # B
    Palmer, AK 99645-6981
    (907) 746-7062

Thanks Upstream, I'll gave him a jingle for a quote and he quoted me 75 bucks. Not bad. Will have to go see him.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Thanks for the info Rod. I think I will do my own as well. I will have to dig out the bostich finish nailer and see if it can be set up for staples when I get back. I would think that a little heat from a hair dryer should make it pretty easy to stretch nice and tight. Rod if you were able to post some pics of the finished seat I would really like to see it!
    Sorry LuJon. I guess I lost track of this thread a while back. Here's some pics for you. These are from the rear of the seat. It was pretty tricky because of the compound curves, but it turned out OK.

iPhone-393s.jpgiPhone-398s.jpg

And here's a pic of the front of the seat, and one of the newly covered seat installed on the wheeler (with a little dust on it). It actually turned out nice. And it was definitely cheaper than either buying a new seat, or having it professionally recovered.

iPhone-394s.jpgiPhone-390s.jpg

I have done atleast 10 myself the same way as Rod has. It is almost a two person job. If you have the stapler already, you can buy decent fabric at any fabric store for under 10 bucks. A blow dryer or heat gun is a must. I make two small folds on the very back on both sides of the seat but for 10 bucks how can you go wrong?

Thanks guys! I have several to do and I dang sure don't plan on paying $300+ for it! I have a cut in the font of my AC 700 and then 3 mini quads for the kids that I purchased in various states of disrepair and all 3 have the standard cuts, burns, and tears.

Default fixing making new naugahyde seat

Cuts in ATV seats are a bear to own. The cushion gets wet and stays wet for generations it seems, without drying out. Just from a tiny cut. Your butt gets way wet every time.

Fix it cheap by going to Jo-Ann's Fabrics in Anchorage at the Northway Mall (right by northern Sams Club) and they have lots of different naugahyde's to choose from. Staple it on, underneath, and cut away the excess and you're done, cheap.

(No Nauga's died during this procedure.)

Lujon give me a shout if you need a hand. I'd be happy to help you out.