Thread: Donor Action for a 300 RUM

Default Donor Action for a 300 RUM

I am thinking about finding a donor action to build a 300 RUM. Stainless steel and probably the tri-whatever coating to help manage PWS salt. I want to have my first semi custom gun with a good barrel, good trigger and a trued action. I have a stock I like for a Rem 700. No muzzle break I reload. The goal is to have some authority at extended ranges, 400-500yrds on game from deer to moose.

What donor actions will work? I like the Rem 700, but am open to others as well.

First, a few apologies if this topic has been covered. I tried using the search engine and it sucks.

Second, I asked this question at AK Custom Rifles and they told they could make a 300 Win Mag work since I have one of those already. Since then, I have asked around and may have a line on some other rifles for cheap. Rather than stop back in to the shop, I thought I would ask the forum. Soooo... if you all are reading this, I am not trying to go over your head.

Third, don't ask why I want a 300 RUM vs. a 300 win. Do you REALLY have to have a good reason to have a new, bigger, more expensive toy to explain to your wife? I have a factory 300 RUM at the moment that will likely be shot out soon.

Maybe a 338 edge in a few years?

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I am thinking about finding a donor action to build a 300 RUM. Stainless steel and probably the tri-whatever coating to help manage PWS salt. I want to have my first semi custom gun with a good barrel, good trigger and a trued action. I have a stock I like for a Rem 700. No muzzle break I reload. The goal is to have some authority at extended ranges, 400-500yrds on game from deer to moose.

What donor actions will work? I like the Rem 700, but am open to others as well.
    It will be tough to find an action more well suited for the RUM than a factory RUM 700 action or one of the available 700 clones. I'd probably look for a RUM beater and go from there.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Dave, I sent you a PM.

If you already have a nearly shot out 300RUM, I would suggest screwing a new stainless barrel on it and just breathe some new life into the rifle you have. Do the "paint job" last. The Remington is by far the most suitable action for the job, like 1COR already mentioned.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

First, a few apologies if this topic has been covered. I tried using the search engine and it sucks.

Second, I asked this question at AK Custom Rifles and they told they could make a 300 Win Mag work since I have one of those already. Since then, I have asked around and may have a line on some other rifles for cheap. Rather than stop back in to the shop, I thought I would ask the forum. Soooo... if you all are reading this, I am not trying to go over your head.

Third, don't ask why I want a 300 RUM vs. a 300 win. Do you REALLY have to have a good reason to have a new, bigger, more expensive toy to explain to your wife? I have a factory 300 RUM at the moment that will likely be shot out soon.

Go here:
    http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsmiths.html
    Call and talk to a few of them.

Then go here:
    http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html

You'll find that the cost of buying a Rem 700 and having it trued properly will cost the same as a far better action that needs none. And those 'smiths will tell you the same. I am on Greg Tannel's list right now for a build.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Dan in AK I sent you a PM.

After talking around a bit, I decided to "breath life" into my old 300 RUM. I ordered a Jewel stainless trigger today and will have a new barrel put on and the action trued over the winter. I have a good stock already.

Great links Nitroman. I might have gone that route if I did not already have the 300 RUM donor action.

I don't know what I am going to do with the 300 win now. Maybe it will finance some of the RUM rebuild.

I agree with Dan in AK. I'd send that worn out 300 RUM (to Hart if it was mine) for a re-barrel and action job. Wait time is around six months but you won't be disappointed. I sent a 7mm RUM to Hart last spring and got it back a few months ago. I was at Birchwood with it this morning shooting ammo I had loaded for it when it had the original barrel, so no fine tuning. Five shots at 100 yards can be covered with a nickel. Not bad considering no load development has been done. The other thing I've noticed about the Hart is that it copper fouls very, very little so cleaning is a snap. I liked this rifle with the original barrel, I love this rifle with the new barrel!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.