Thread: MY Question about brass headstamps

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default MY Question about brass headstamps

I need someone who knows more about handloading than me. It shouldn't be too find someone like that, if I can just get their attenion.

OK, so you got a batch of Winchester cases of all the same cartridge, BUT the headstamps are different. Some say Super X, some say ww super speed, or something like that. There appears to be several different headspace stampings found on Winchester bress.

And, some diffs on Rem. brass also, and probably other makers brass.

Do you think, know, if all the brass for a cartridge, from the same manufacturer is the same, or is it different.

I'm talking about mixing brass from the same maker even though some of it has different headstamps.

I'm mighty tired, so I hope I splained the question good enuff.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

In my experience it depends a bunch on how hard you are going to push the brass, how old it is in terms of # of loadings, and the individual rifle. If you're a guy who likes to venture over SAAMI specs and book specs, more than just head stamp is at issue.

I've seen enough variation between lots of brass (marked on the boxes) to make me check weights every time I get a new batch, even when headstamps are the same. That's why I try to buy larger quantities at once, just so I don't have a bunch of different variations in case capacities with even book max loads.

At some point I'm getting twitchy that the cases have had about enough high pressure in their life, so I move them on for cast loads- usually 6-8 loadings, depending. And I quit worrying about headstamps because I'm not loading hot cast bullets loads in my rifles.

With revolver cases, I usually stop loading hot loads in cases after 4 loadings, then move those cases on for mid-range loads. That's when I quit worrying about case lots and even about head stamps. I just dump the cases into bins of 500 or 1000 regardless of head stamp or even brand, load them all when I get around to it, and toss them on into another bin as I shoot them up.

It's not really an issue for me with semi-auto brass. If I could find half of it in a session I might worry about case longevity, but heck.... Yeah, I've never been much of a fan of semi's because I like to hang onto my brass. It's just too expensive not to re-use a bunch of times.

Thanks BB:

I was asking in terms of case capacities, etc.

I don't have a Digital Scale. I've deemed it impractical to weigh cases, water, etc. on my Redding
    balance scale.

I was hoping that someone had compared brass in that way, and had an idea of how Same'O, brass was given the different head stamps.

My practice has been to keep and load cases of different headstamps, although of the same make, separately. Sometimes I would need to use them together to fill a box, or something.

I don't keep track of firings with brass, I use for cast bullets. The cast bullet brass may already be fired 6 or 7 times with full power loads.

I think what I might do, in light of what you're saying is use the mixed batches for lower power loads in a different rifle.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Thanks BB:

I was asking in terms of case capacities, etc.

I don't have a Digital Scale. I've deemed it impractical to weigh cases, water, etc. on my Redding
    balance scale.

I was hoping that someone had compared brass in that way, and had an idea of how Same'O, brass was given the different head stamps.

My practice has been to keep and load cases of different headstamps, although of the same make, separately. Sometimes I would need to use them together to fill a box, or something.

I don't keep track of firings with brass, I use for cast bullets. The cast bullet brass may already be fired 6 or 7 times with full power loads.

I think what I might do, in light of what you're saying is use the mixed batches for lower power loads in a different rifle.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You know Smitty, I used to do that very same thing...keep the the different brass separate. In my experience mixing brass is most critical with compressed loads. The load that I shoot in my coyote killing 243 is not compressed and I don't care whats written on the case head. They all go in the same ammo can when loaded. My rifle will shoot inch and a half when picking them out of the can randomly. I know it would probably shoot 3/4 of an inch if I were to get picky about same brass from same lot etc. but in the end for coyote hunting who cares. I couldn't shoot minute of angle in a hunting situation with the best custom loaded ammo available.

I used to load my 270 with a full case of H4831 and there was a noticeable difference in case capacity even from brass from the same manufacturer that was 10 years apart in age. The newer cases were level full to the case mouth and had to be tapped on the side slightly with a big nail to get the powder to settle a bit. The old case that were trimmed to the same over all length as the new ones had a little more room in them. When you think about it the brass that I trimmed off came from somewhere. It's my opinion that as the brass flows forward(even in just a few loadings/round) that the metal in the case web, walls, neck and shoulder get thinner allowing for just a freckle more room.

Another thought is that the chamber in two rifles of the same cartridge can be different. My first 270 had a sloppy chamber and the second one was kinda tight. The difference in the amount the brass from those two different rifles was worked when full length sized was big . The brass shot in the sloppy chambered rifle was good for about 3 or 4 reloadings before it was toast. The brass in the tight chambered rifle could be loaded twice as many times.
    I got a neck sizer die and started neck sizing the brass for the sloppy chambered gun and it did two things. It made the brass last twice as long and because I was leaving the case body fire formed to the oversize chamber it had more volume. The powder charge that filled the case level full to the case mouth in full length sized brass filled the neck sized brass to a quarter inch shy of the case mouth.

If you are asking about this in regards to hunting loads I say don't worry about it. If your shooting in competition then it's another story.

I talked around your question didn't I? Sorry 'bout that.

Here's the short and sweet: Yeah, I've found enough variation between individual lot #'s of the same head stamp to affect case capacity and max loads. And between brands? Holy cow. I don't recall seeing small variations affect accuracy even in my limited forrays into serious benchrest, since I was never using stuffed-case loads or max pressures. But I have seen it cause pressure jumps with max loads worked up with one case lot #, then loaded into a later case lot #.

Thanks EKC:

And BB:

That's good INFO.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty,

I'm not aware of Winchester making more than one grade of brass available for sale as a component.

I believe they stamp different grades of ammo based on the particular line they are selling. In other words I think they use the same brass for their good stuff as they do for their white box ammo but they stamp them differently just like Chevy and GMC use the same frame.

That makes sense, marshall:

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.