Thread: in need of covers

Default in need of covers

I have lost access to the hangar I have been privledged to use. Since I have to keep my plane outside I'm looking for some covers that fit a '46 T'craft. What should I buy, and how much should I expect to pay? Here in Kodiak it does not get as cold as the interior, but wind, driving rain, some snow and more ice are real factors to deal with. If nessesary I may be able to pull the wings off and keep it in a garage. I really don't want to do that because even though the weather can be nasty during the winter, when the WX is good it's some of the best flying of the year. Anyway I could use some advice, and or some leads on covers.
    Thanks in advance,

Leroy
    At sea, it's force not reason that confers sovereign rights

Choices include solid nylon, mesh, and solid with mesh vents. All can be had with or without spoilers.

Solids protect the best but will pillow up in the wind. Mine fit well enough to leave on up to about 35mph winds, then they come off.

Mesh allows the wind to blow through and does a good job with snow but when temps get around freezing it allows water to run through and freeze. That's a real pain. Mesh covers usually have spoilers to kill lift. They work but they're bulky to stow. Removing snow from mesh covers is best done by removing the covers and shaking the snow out of them. Using a broom to sweep the snow off just drives some snow through the mesh. Add a little sun (even in mid winter) and you have an icy mess on the wings.

Solid with vents seem to be the popular compromise. They have the protection of solid covers with vents to prevent the wind from pillowing them up. I've seen them with and without spoilers. Vents help but they aren't perfect. They still need to be removed in storms.

I prefer solids for protection and I try to remove them when the wind blows. Covers that remain on in the wind will damage your paint and especially will damage the windshield if you use a cover there. There's no getting around that. Alaska Wing Covers fit better than the other brands I've used and Linda puts the coated side of the fabric out which helps the wings stay dry. I'm a happy customer. As happy as a guy CAN be with wing covers. They're a necessary evil. I need them but I hate them.

http://www.alaskawingcovers.com/

I have solids with vents and spoilers. Made by Kennon covers, you can google them. They are VERY well made. Two wings and two little tailfeather covers can be bulky to fit into the plane for a trip - the stuff sack ends up being the size of a LARGE military duffle. Then there's the engine cover They have UV resistant fabric and after three winters out the red hasn't faded a bit.

Alaska wing covers seem to be a bit less bulky but would they hold up like mine?

I had Kennons in the past. They were fine. Then I bought a set of Alaska Wing Covers for the next plane. I've bought a couple more sets since then. If everything else was equal I'd rather buy local but I like Alaska Wing Covers bungee hooks and coated fabric better than the other guys. And the neoprene prop covers.

I'll second what Mr. Pid said. AK Wing Covers not only makes a great product, they stand behind them for years. Repairs, I have had several done, my fault, have never been more than $20. Local business, great product, great people. This is a no brainer.
    Yes, also less bulky than Kennon and weigh much less.

Ill third Mr Pid. I have Alaska Wing covers, solid with spoilers and mesh panels to keep them from puffing up. They offer to refit if they miss cut anything based even on a picture of the plane.