Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Fisher, and Largest Grayling I have Ever Seen

Default First Time Fisher, and Largest Grayling I have Ever Seen

So this is a quick trip report/story about a pretty cool fish.

There is a girl I have been dating for a little while now and things have been going really well and I wanted to take her out fishing as she has never been before; not fly fishing or spin fishing or bait fishing or anything, literally has no time on the water and has never caught a fish.

So we go down to one of my little spots 2 wednesdays ago and I bring a fly rod and we have some fun learning to cast and I hook a few older silvers for her to reel in just to get the feel for things. She doesn't end up hooking anything by herself but she becomes proficient enough to get the line out and we both end up having a really good time.

This last saturday we went back to the same spot as I really wanted to try to get her to hook up with her own fish and thought we'd have a good chance as this spot gets little to no pressure and has some easily fished holes. So we are walking down fishing and talking and I get a little ways ahead to the best pool on the entire section of river, I sit down and wait for her to catch up thinking I will give her first dibs on the best pool. She comes down and I tell her how to fish the pool and that if there is a fish in this section this is where it will be. She asks if I want to go fish but I insist that seeing her catch one fish is like me catching 20, I just really want to see her catch one (thinking that odds are that at best she would catch a small rainbow or 2).

So to get to the point all of a sudden I hear this wild yell and look back up to see a doubled over rod and massive coils of loose line everywhere. It is immediatlely apparent that we have a rodeo on our hands. I sprint back up the gravel and begin to try to coach/yell and end up holding onto the line while my friend reels in the 40 yards of slack that have somehow accumlated during the brief casting session. The rod tip is waving wildly all over the place and literally every rule of battling a fish is being broken in some form or another.

So after we get all the line back on the spool and the rod toward the bank I finally get a glimpse of the fish and my mind is blown. It is the largest grayling BY FAR that I have ever seen, just an absolute pig. Now this gets my adrenaline flowing as I can't believe we haven't lost the fish yet and I get the feeling of excitement that comes from knowing you have something special on the end of the line but not knowing if you can land it.

Well we finally get it in the net and get a chance for some pictures. Normally I am totally against taking a picture with another persons fish but this one was just to special. I hope you guys enjoy the pics, I am a little bummed as they do not truly do justice to how fat and long the fish was. This fish must have been 23-24 inches, and I doubt I could have wrapped both hands around it, it seemed like a coke can that tapered down to a tiny grayling head. I would have liked to know how old that fish was. But after some quick pics he swam away happily to continue gorging himself.

As a side note. A little while after the excitement had died down I thought back to my comment of wanting her to catch fish before me. Had I known what type of fish were in that pool I may have taken a few casts before she got there....you know....just to check things out.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

LOL nice fish for sure. good job getting your friend on it first... it's just better that way espessally when they place the hands on the hip and proclaim.... "SO! i guess i can fish"
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

man I wish we had grayling like that around here! I wouldn't spend so much time on the Kenai. Maybe I should be driving the other way.

Default holy grayling!!!!

that is a really large fish.....definite trophy size - possibly larger than the official state record (1981, 4#13oz).

It was definately pretty big. Just goofy that it was a first fish ever for someone. I told her I wished she would have caught a few before that so she could really appreciate how big it really was. It took a size 2 black and white dolly llama!

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    that is a really large fish.....definite trophy size - possibly larger than the official state record (1981, 4#13oz).
    I think if anything came close it was Jedi's monster grayling.

It's a big fish don't get me wrong, awesome fisrt catch! High expectations now!

This is the one I'm referring to.....
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...chmentid=38321

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    While it's a nice fish, there's no way that's a 5lb or even a 4lb fish.

You did tell her that you get to take the credit for her catching the fish right?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    While it's a nice fish, there's no way that's a 5lb or even a 4lb fish.
    well there is no way of telling with out a measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    well there is no way of telling with out a measurement.
    Is that your defense for your 20lb bow pic in your album too.....? haha

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Is that your defense for your 20lb bow pic in your album too.....? haha
    lol funny guy but no I actully did get measurements and either one you use, the 800 or 750 method they were over 20.

But it really makes no difference if any one thinks they are or aren't, they're just nice pics to look at any more.

Hey Armo Ak what were you using to catch that beauty? Oh man you must be in heaven bud thats really a keeper you got there!

Caught using a size 2 black and white dolly llama.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Had I known what type of fish were in that pool I may have taken a few casts before she got there....you know....just to check things out.
    Matt, you are one of the few people I know who would low-hole their own girlfriend (that's what she said). Suprised you didn't grab her line to try to wrestle him in. Snap! "oh, sorry babe."

Couple more weeks, steelies, admiral, bearpaw soup, lantern induced head injuries.

Not sure if it is just the angle or what but that fish sure looks better when she holds it. Congrats! Outdoors women are keepers for sure, my wife came into our relationship a fisher-woman (though I still tie the lines...).

Next stop hunting? I was on top of the world the day my wife took her first moose! She even helped me butcher it.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Hey Armo Ak what were you using to catch that beauty? Oh man you must be in heaven bud thats really a keeper you got there!
    Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Caught using a size 2 black and white dolly llama.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Armo yeah it was a very nice grayling but I was talking about your "friend"

Nice fish, are those tasty over a campfire ? I never seen anything like that before but I'm in Florida hehe .

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Armo yeah it was a very nice grayling but I was talking about your "friend"
    Like I said black and white size 2 dolly llama. That thing will literally catch anything .

Quote Originally Posted by woodman6437 View Post
    Matt, you are one of the few people I know who would low-hole their own girlfriend (that's what she said). Suprised you didn't grab her line to try to wrestle him in. Snap! "oh, sorry babe."

Couple more weeks, steelies, admiral, bearpaw soup, lantern induced head injuries.
    We're not serious yet.....fishing still takes priority.

Cant wait for the 23rd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast