Thread: haul road conditions?

Default haul road conditions?

anybody been up the dalton recently? Im planning a bou hunt this weekend was just wondering what the conditions were on the north slope and also I had another question, between coldfoot and fish creek are there usually alot of caribou outside the corridor that far south? everybody keeps telling me go north thought I would ask the experts

I'm sitting in an office accross from the Prudhoe Airport. Its snowing and rumor has it we're gonna get a blow in the next couple days. Not too cold really, about 32 degF. I've seen a few nice bulls on the BP lease, but then again, they know we can't hunt them there I think!

The problem with caribou reporting, as you probably know, is that they can only account for "right now". The way those crazy things move, they could be 10 miles east of the road today and 10 miles west of the road tomorrow. Good luck up there, I've done it in October before, the weather can really put you down if you are not careful. Watch your water intake, that will sneak up on you in the cold air without you even realizing it. Be careful and file a hunt plan with someone.

thanks for the update I heard there was 3 ft of snow north of attigun but my source is usually less than reliable ( he must be on a different forum)

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    thanks for the update I heard there was 3 ft of snow north of attigun but my source is usually less than reliable ( he must be on a different forum)
    Three feet of snow is more like what they get the whole winter, I would be surprised. That said, drifts can cover a semi truck!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

We are headed up that way Thursday we are packing the ford focus tomorrow and headed up to Deadhorse and give it a go... Don't worry about the mode of transportation I have 15 inch tires on it and it has traction control.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    We are headed up that way Thursday we are packing the ford focus tomorrow and headed up to Deadhorse and give it a go... Don't worry about the mode of transportation I have 15 inch tires on it and it has traction control.
    I am headed up thurs as well come home when I get 2 bou or monday whatever comes first

Good luck you guys. Keep us posted and take good pics. Oh and stay safe.

will do hopefully I dont see a ford focus in any trouble anybody got any reports on bou between coldfoot and and the yukon?
    ?

I wouldn't take a Ford Ranger, much less a Focus this time of year. You never know what kind of weather your going to run into. But goodluck, and be careful.

I'm not taking focus just sounded funny but I have seen crazier things in Alaska. We will be in a gray F250, leaving mid morning hopefully be hunting Friday thru Sunday and take off Sunday afternoon. Hope to get a couple of them