Thread: 9.9 mercury issues

Default 9.9 mercury issues

My little outboard will not run over 1/2 throttle in forward. Full throttle in reverse is no problem. Reeds have been changed. The anchorage dealer on debarr is not a viable option as they returned it to me in a gunny sack when they checked it out last fall. Pm me any good mechanics or shops or ideas please. Thanks
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    My little outboard will not run over 1/2 throttle in forward. Full throttle in reverse is no problem. Reeds have been changed. The anchorage dealer on debarr is not a viable option as they returned it to me in a gunny sack when they checked it out last fall. Pm me any good mechanics or shops or ideas please. Thanks
    Is the handle not turning to full throttle or is the engine not revving to wot?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Is it an issue of the rev limiter is engaging or a matter of the throttle won't physically turn past half way?

You can twist the throttle all the way and it runs about half rpm. It acts like the motor is not disengaging the rev limiter going from neutral to forward it runs full bore in reverse.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

You can twist the throttle all the way and it runs about half rpm. It acts like the motor is not disengaging the rev limiter going from neutral to forward it runs full bore in reverse.
    That being said, it appears the rev limiter is hooked up backward, as it should engage in reverse and neutral, then disengage in forward. I'd call mercury marine and get their opinion on what to do. If you're dissatisfied with a local authorized dealer, they need to hear that too.

I know it is not close to big lake but Marines Services in Homer is really good to work with.
    They are the oldest Mercury shop in Alaska. http://www.marineservicesofalaska.com/
    They have worked on my Mercruiser and Alpha One outdrive several times with no complaints. All their mechanics are mercury certified with many years of experience.
    Shop rate is $85 an hour but I am sure Bill (the owner)or Lee could give you some good ideas on what is wrong with it over the phone and will ship parts to your house.
    I bought a new prop this summer they wanted $185 for in Soldotna mercury shop. Marine Services price $129. This was the exact same prop from mercury.Soldotna shop claimed their cost was $135.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"