Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far would you go to return a "found" item?

Default How far would you go to return a "found" item?

Reading the post regarding the lost tarp brought up the question posed ablove. I've found cameras in the past and developed film rolls looking for clues, and I found a gun once and with the help of a law enforcement friend we were able to track down the owner.

Recently I lost an item of minimal value on the way to a morning hunt, it blew out of our boat. An individual happened to see it along the higway and when I got home that evening, there was a message on my home phone about it. I was lucky, the lost item was in an old military duffle bag that still had my name on it from years ago.

So, with hunting season winding down for most, any good lost/found stories?

Kids outside our store found a DL in a planter....they gave it to me and I called the lady. Said she left her wallet at a restaurant nearby and it was gone. I looked in our outside trash and there it was. She got back her DL and wallet...even a credit card was still there and pictures...no cash tho. She was happy to get back what she could.

last year I found a brand new digital camera on the sidewalk. I looked at the pictures and the first picture was out of a local hotel window. I called the hotel and asked if any guests had reported a missing camera. Turns out the guy used to be a writer for that show ER. He was working on a book about WW2 boats in Alaska and needed that camera for pictures the next day.

5-6 years ago I met a guy on the Situk River that had just lost the tip section of his fancy new Sage flyrod. He was leaving that afternoon to head home to Anchorage. The next morning I was bushwhacking into a hole and I looked up in the alders and there was the tip section of a fly rod. All I knew about the guy was his name and that he worked for the Anchorage Fire Dept. I called them and got ahold of him and shipped it back.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I've gone out of my way quite a bit. I look at it this way: It seems like nothing to me, and takes little time. But to the person who lost it, it could mean the world. And there is no better feeling for me (than thinking something is REALLY gone, and then finding/having some one return it). Sounds corny, but I consider it my "good deed", and makes me feel good inside.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

No stories nearly as dramatic as on here, but I think I would do whatever is necessary to return the item. I mean look at some of the optics, cameras, rangefinders etc that hunters carry these days! Bet the average guy saved for a month or two for any one of the above. And I know that if I lost an item, I would want it returned if possible. So that being my guide....and if the troopers can track down a poacher with minimal info left behind, I'm sure I can track down the owner of a $250+ pair of binos!

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    5-6 years ago I met a guy on the Situk River that had just lost the tip section of his fancy new Sage flyrod. He was leaving that afternoon to head home to Anchorage. The next morning I was bushwhacking into a hole and I looked up in the alders and there was the tip section of a fly rod. All I knew about the guy was his name and that he worked for the Anchorage Fire Dept. I called them and got ahold of him and shipped it back.

Wow, I'd forgotten about the flyrod incident...Several years ago I was fishing with my father in law on the Russian and in the process of trying to release a snag, the tip of my Sage rod went drifting down the river. Bummer. Two days later I'm standing on the side of the river and one of the local stream watch volunteers came walking up with a bag of trash and in it was a almost intact Sage top section. Seems some kids found it and tried using it as a cane pole. The last 4 or 5 inches were broken off but with Sages great warrenty, that is no problem. 2 months later, brand new rod!

Same place next year, my father in law is fishing with my Kenai Special/6500 combo and he hooks up. Foul hook! he points the rod at the fish heading back to the big water and the next thing I know, the whole rod is flying through the air downstream. Lost it all....or not. As I was climbing the stairs toward Pink Salmon, I took one final look back and up floats a cork handle from the depths. A guy 20 yards downstream from where we were fishing had snagged it. I went from the top step to the bottom in about 3 bounds! Then, the guy wanted to keep it! I normally don't lose my temper physically, but I was ready to brawl. He had seen the whole thing happen but felt entitled to the rod. Cooler heads prevailed along with some prodding from the surrounding fishermen, I still have that rod. Ok, not lost and found, but close.

I once found two large plastic sleds on the side of the highway. They were the really large otter type sleds. Notified a trooper friend of it, but we never found out who's they were.

I seem to just find others trash and end up picking it up, wish I could identify who dropped it so I could return it to them!

About the only valuable items I have found were a flat bottom river boat and some duck hunting gear that was in it on the Kanuti River in the 90's. The boat was on dry ground and tied off to a tree with a note in it saying something about flood water and calling it quits at that point. The owner wrote his name on it so I called him when I got back to Fairbanks. Seemed they went down for some duck hunting but it rained a lot and flooded on their return which got a bit intense causing them to punch a hole through the hull and run her up on the bank and walk out. Guess his insurance company covered it?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

found a guys dividend check once on the slough behind badger gas... took 4 weeks to find him agian but got it to him...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

In the spirit of this thread... anybody missing the cab off a Bombardier track rig? It was in the ditch just south of Sheep Creek on the Parks Highway last week. I know who picked it up and can put you in contact with him. It blew off during that major windstorm last week.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Driving to work last October - Wasilla to Anchorage - I'm near the front of a traffic jam on the Glenn. What is it? It's a one-man cataraft, complete with frame, oars, rod, reel, tackle - neatly positioned in the center of the right lane. What to do with it? "Throw it over the guardrail!", "Get the *&%$ off the road!", "I'm calling the Troopers for an unsecured load!" , were a few of the helpful comments from the whizzed off commuters as I attempted to clear the obstruction and restore traffic flow (risking my life in the process).

Well, I strap it in the back of my truck, take it to work and wonder how I will connect with the owner. A co-worker asks where I got the Cat. I mention the "situation" on the Glenn that morning and she remembers someone calling into a local radio station to report a lost Cat. I call the radio station, get the phone #, the owner is fishing the Kenai for a couple days, I get directions to his house, and deliver it back to Wasilla that evening.

I was happy to deliver, as I remember in high school when I lost a sleeping bag out of my truck and somebody followed me 20 miles to a gas station to return it...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My wife found a Caribou permit when we were hunting/berrypicking, and using the name, we found the lady, and returned it.

A few years back, I was out on my morning run, and found a bunch of unopened mail strung out along Muldoon road. I gathered it up, and took it to work with me. First opportunity, I looked up the person, and called them.

From the response I got, I figgered this woman musta thrown her mail out her car window on purpose.

Sometimes when I've found something left behind, I leave it, so when the owner comes back to look for it, it's there.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Anyone see this recently?

I lost my big black box off my trailer this season.

All I know is it blew off between Willow and Cantwell.

Anyone seen it or know where I can find another? It was a bummer to lose because it fit perfect in my Argo and I can't remember what was in it when I lost it.

2005_hunt_102.jpg

Two buddies of mine left their beloved flyrods leaning against a tree while loading the truck at the Russian River. I could tell they felt sick about it. I put it on Alaska Outdoor Journal and sure enough a guy called and said he had them. I had an extra 9weight with a decent reel to trade to get them back. My buds were extremely thankful.
    On another note. I was at the Anchorage Airport last week and set down my coat, full pack frame, double gun case and a carry on back pack. I called the hotel to see when the van was coming over and then put the pack back on my back, picked up my rifle case and coat. I forgot my backpack. Went outside to wait for the van, and after 15 minutes realized I did not have my backpack. Went back in to find it gone. I went to TSA, Airport Police, called Airport dispatch and asked every person I could talk to if they saw a Fieldline, brown, camo backpack and even had a maintenance guy help me search the bathrooms. (a big thank you to him). I know someone took it. They can have the dirty underwear, my book and shave kit. But my truck keys, and letter from my wife could have been left behind. Anyone with info on this, please email jtmtn@gci.net I flew into Anchorage from Fairbanks at 5pm on Sunday the 26th.
    I have helped locate other owners of gear, just hoping the karma comes my way.

Can't believe they didn't shut the airport down for that these days. Bummer. Hope you get it back.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Round here we hang stuff found along the trails on trail staeks, to let the owner find them, and keep them above the snow.
    Other items are announced over the VHF, as to location, either where it was seen or at whoevers house.

Once, about 20 years ago we found a thermos and a trash bag with a very nice parkee, took it to the local cop who told us to keep it, he would ask around. We stashed it under our porch, and about 6 months later during a balmy spring morning a strange little lady came and asked about a parkee, describe it, and we told her "under the porch"....she went out and we watched from the steps above as she open'd the bag, lift the parkee and a pound+ block of of skunky Buds fell out, right to her feet.

Man was she smiling.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default lost and then found sleeping bags

I was way up the mountain separated from my 6 man hunting party because I was 3,000 feet vertically higher than they. I had a field camp 3,000 feet down, and a base camp a few miles laterally along the mountain. I was successful, and got a fine deer.

By the time I got down to my field camp, pulling my deer all that way down sometimes lowering him with a rope then climbing down myself, I made it to my field camp. Passed some people that said that the rest of my party had retreated to base camp due to impending storm.

Next morning, more than a foot of new snow. One of the base camp party had braved thru the still going snowstorm to help me down. We had to leave both of my sleeping bags and tent and stuff, and just get the expensive hunting gear and deer down. For quite a number of sections I pulled the deer's antlers back and rode him down like he was my sled; worked until we were about to hit something when I would bail, stop, and then do it again.

So sore getting out of there it took me 3 days to hike back up to field camp to retrieve my tent, bags, and such. Bags are gone. I'm not a happy camper.

2 days later two couples come to my house. I had left a tag in the tent saying who the stuff belonged to. They told me a story of their two young teenage girls going up mountain farther than ever before, then getting caught in that snowstorm, then their horses wouldn't go any more, and remembering seeing my tent 5 minutes before. They backtracked and got into my tent and stayed warm.

The parents had a much worse story. Reported them missing. Not 24 hours missing so hard to get help. Out of character missing and good girls so they got help anyways. SAR brought night vision and stuff, but stayed low on the mountain thinking that was best bet.

Parents were told just after midnight that their kids most likely were not alive. Parents mounted their own expedition above SAR's, much higher on the mountain, and actually found my tent. To their credit, they looked in the best place to camp for many miles around and that was the spot. They got the girls down to the city all OK, and were visiting me now to return my bags to me and thank me for saving the lives of their girls.

Good feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I was way up the mountain separated from my 6 man hunting party because I was 3,000 feet vertically higher than they. I had a field camp 3,000 feet down, and a base camp a few miles laterally along the mountain. I was successful, and got a fine deer.

By the time I got down to my field camp, pulling my deer all that way down sometimes lowering him with a rope then climbing down myself, I made it to my field camp. Passed some people that said that the rest of my party had retreated to base camp due to impending storm.

Next morning, more than a foot of new snow. One of the base camp party had braved thru the still going snowstorm to help me down. We had to leave both of my sleeping bags and tent and stuff, and just get the expensive hunting gear and deer down. For quite a number of sections I pulled the deer's antlers back and rode him down like he was my sled; worked until we were about to hit something when I would bail, stop, and then do it again.

So sore getting out of there it took me 3 days to hike back up to field camp to retrieve my tent, bags, and such. Bags are gone. I'm not a happy camper.

2 days later two couples come to my house. I had left a tag in the tent saying who the stuff belonged to. They told me a story of their two young teenage girls going up mountain farther than ever before, then getting caught in that snowstorm, then their horses wouldn't go any more, and remembering seeing my tent 5 minutes before. They backtracked and got into my tent and stayed warm.

The parents had a much worse story. Reported them missing. Not 24 hours missing so hard to get help. Out of character missing and good girls so they got help anyways. SAR brought night vision and stuff, but stayed low on the mountain thinking that was best bet.

Parents were told just after midnight that their kids most likely were not alive. Parents mounted their own expedition above SAR's, much higher on the mountain, and actually found my tent. To their credit, they looked in the best place to camp for many miles around and that was the spot. They got the girls down to the city all OK, and were visiting me now to return my bags to me and thank me for saving the lives of their girls.

Good feeling.
    WOW, that is a great story, we all need to remember that everything is done for a purpose, your unfortunate situation saved the lives of others. Great story!

Well
    This Summer my son spent a week in Mccarthy climbing/hiking.. leaving with friends at 4/5 AM.. they stopped and somehow his back pack full of gear got left along side the road..
    I met him in Anchorage, and we pieced together enough gear to get him out on our moose hunt.

His back pack was loaded with top notch gear.. probably $1500-$2000 worth.

When we got back from the 2 week hunt.. my wife told us the pack was in Anchorage..

someone pulled over and found it... found a picture my son had of a girl.. they knew the girl.. contacted her.. and she called my wife..

in the meantime they took all the dirty clothes out and washed them.. put it back together like new..

pretty awesome...

I found a guy's wallet in the parking lot of the Tesoro on KGB. Opened it up and saw he was in the Army. So I got on the JBER facebook page and asked around if anybody had any contact info. Somebody got me a phone number and I got in touch with him later that day and got the wallet back. It was a good feeling to get it back to him, and hopefully if I ever lose something karma will come back to help me out.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast