Thread: Homer Duck Hunts

Default Homer Duck Hunts

I am interested in going after some of the different species out of Homer/Seldovia area. I know there was some discussion on guides and waterfowlers hunting down there last year on the forum. If anyone has any proposals or information on guides...let me know. I am interested in having the opportunity to harvest harleguin, old squaw, Eider and anything that flys.

Not really sure if November or December would be best...I am open to anything.

Thanks
    DH01

Contact Buck Brown. He guides out of Seldovia. I have a hunt booked with him this December. He came highly recommended from a couple of other forum members. Here is his website.

http://www.alaskaduckhunting.net/
    Last edited by Woody; 10-05-2010 at 09:42. Reason: spelling

me and a buddy are going to go down there and try it out for our first time with out a guide. got a zodiak and some diver decoys i got to put on a few long lines should be an adventure. we would go with a guide to learn some stuff but were poor college kids lol

Thanks Woody.. I will contact him..website will not come at this time.

Kwakkiller... I hear ya, let me know when you plan on heading down. I have considered doing this myself. I might be interested in helping out if needed. I just want to get the one time experience from a guided trip first. Then I will know what not to do.

Thanks for the info

I am going to go down with my zodiac too sometime in the next month or so. I have a friend that has done it before several times. I hope to follow him out. He runs an aluminum boat.

If you want some company shoot me a PM and we can pull it together. I often go it alone, but my boat and motor are OLD so I would not mind tagging along with others. (Note: OLD but run pretty good and maintained well)

What kind of diver setups do you guys use? Most of my deeks are in Wyoming, but I bought a half doz mallards for pond hunting here. Might have to get some more or maybe borrow my buddies.

I hunted with Buck last year, and it was the some of the best duck hunting I have ever experienced. We shot almost every species of sea duck you can legally shoot. I am headed back this december for my long tail. We could have limitted out on both sea ducks and divers in about 30 to 45 minutes every day except the last one. And that was due to fog. He has done his homework, and knew where the birds would be every day. And he rotates his clients around the beaches, rock piles, and blinds he has set up out there. So every spot he took us, had very little hunting pressure. Another thing about booking with Buck is, he is the most affordable sea duck guide I could find. Let me know if you have any questions, and I would be happy to answer them.

Woody, when are you going in Dec? I wonder if you guys are the other guys booked on the same days I will be down there.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

There are no ducks in Homer. Just look what they did to our harlequin, long tail and eider limits.

Brother...

I have over 200 decoys..paint is cheap..lol

You let me know when you are going and we can work something out. I just heard that December seems to be the best time. Seems Buck is the guys to contact... I will call him this week and set something up.

If anyone is going before then..shoot me a PM.. I have over 30 years experience hunting waterfowl and 8 guiding. I just dont know $#$% about sea duck hunting..but low tides and trotline decoys, layout boats, rocks points etc...cant be that hard to figure out. I have shot my share out of whittier deer hunting..but nothing to brag about. Seems he has the ones I want.

Thanks for all the info..great group of guys here.

DH01

I will try & reply with more info when I have the time, but sea ducks are fairly easy to decoy on rock outcroppings. I will look up the bays but between Homer & seldovia there are plenty that hold them. HomerDave runs an watertaxi & will probably drop you off & pick you up at one of them if you don't want to trailer your own boat.
    If you do end up using your boat seldovia has late season mallards as well that stay around in the salt marshes. One spot I have hunted is far southwest corner of the bay, just drop some decoys & wait, the other was at the northwest corner on the little strip of land that divides the gulf of ak big water & the protected slough in the bay. However this spot is a little tricky to get in so make sure the tide is right, & I noticed more houses / cabins here when fishing this summer on the ocean side than there were yrs ago when I hunted it, so it might be worth checking into first.

I have heard there is pretty good late season hunting for puddlers at the end of the bay around Homer, if you are not interested in Sea Ducks. Is there anything to that, I have never hunted that area at all. Bud

any body been down there yet any reports? with freeze up up here and trying to figure out biggers lakes that might not be frozen to hunt is like pulling teeth i called fish and game they said to call the city pd then they said to call the troopers which non had an ansnwer. I am not ready to be done yet and will drive a ways to kill some ducks. if the seas are calm were going down to seward tommorow to do some fishing and will be scouting that area while were out in the bay. once the lakes freeze up here do the ducks pretty much dip out or will they find the open water and sit in that?