Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose cape help

Default Moose cape help

Hey guys I need a little assistance here. I harvested a nice bull this season but wasn't able to salvage the cape. I am having the meat and antlers shipped back to me in Texas. I spoke with my taxidermist about locating a cape for a shoulder mount, but he didn't sound too hopeful about being able to find one. Do any of you guys know where I may look or who to talk to about getting a cape? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if this is in the wrong forum, I apologize.

www.taxidermy.net should be moose capes for sale there this time of year.
    Craigslist for Anchorage.
    Alaskalist also.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

If your Texas taxidermist could not locate, or even attempt to locate a moose cape....then you need a new and more experienced taxidermist.
    Why? Because all experienced taxidermist worth their weight and prices have contacts with other taxidermists up here in Alaska. It is extremely easy to obtain a moose cape. Not cheap, but easy for a real taxidermist. Your current taxidermist clearly does not want your business if he was unwilling to develope even one contact in Alaska for a cape trade. Think about it...

Also, you might ask your real taxidermist for some caping lessons so you will not lose your next cape. Caping, skinning, salting ain't brain surgery...and should be considered the most basic skill-set to obtain before traveling to the north country.
    Really, really...
    dennis

If this was last week, I could have sold you one, but sold it already. I am going to start caping out the big bulls we shoot as at some point someone needs a cape!

If you don't find one by Dec. send me a PM. I'll be doing a winter moose hunt then and may get lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    If your Texas taxidermist could not locate, or even attempt to locate a moose cape....then you need a new and more experienced taxidermist.
    Why? Because all experienced taxidermist worth their weight and prices have contacts with other taxidermists up here in Alaska. It is extremely easy to obtain a moose cape. Not cheap, but easy for a real taxidermist. Your current taxidermist clearly does not want your business if he was unwilling to develope even one contact in Alaska for a cape trade. Think about it...

Also, you might ask your real taxidermist for some caping lessons so you will not lose your next cape. Caping, skinning, salting ain't brain surgery...and should be considered the most basic skill-set to obtain before traveling to the north country.
    Really, really...
    dennis
    Your point about my taxidermist is duly noted. I was a bit surprised and disappointed by his attitude. He did say that a Texas taxidermist has little to offer most Alaskan txidermists in regards to trades. The guy does very good work and is very affordable, so I continue to use him.

As for my caping abilities, don't read so much into a post. There were other circumstances involved. Really, really...

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    www.taxidermy.net should be moose capes for sale there this time of year.
    Craigslist for Anchorage.
    Alaskalist also.
    For some reason Anc Craigslist always flags me on this topic
    Taxidermy.net was an avenue my taxidermist was going to try for me.

Alaskalist is news to me. Where do I find that? On the web? Thanks for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    If you don't find one by Dec. send me a PM. I'll be doing a winter moose hunt then and may get lucky.
    I'll keep you mind northway. Thanks a bunch.

I have 2 or 3 extra moose capes. All from big mature bulls. Shoot me a PM when you get a chance and we can go from their.

Dahlbergs Taxidermy

Quote Originally Posted by AnglinAg View Post

As for my caping abilities, don't read so much into a post. There were other circumstances involved. Really, really...
    Perhaps you can she some light on the loss of the cape. There is a lot that can be gleaned from other hunter's experiences. It is odd, IMO, that your taxidermist has that attitude. When considering which artist will be doing a mount, price really should not be a consideration... you get what you pay for.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Call Knights Taxidermy in Anchorage. I sold them one about 2 wks ago off a 50" bull. Also I know D&C Expiditors in Achorage has recently picked up two extra capes one off of a 65" Bull & another off a 52" Not sure on the phone numbers, but I am sure someone here can hook you up or google it. Best of luck.

Shippin' all that meat & antlers all the way down to Texas gotta be some coin involved...& if you just google "Alaskalist" I'm sure you'll find what yer lookin' fer...I can't imagine a hunter, wantin' a cape & havin' "other circumstances involved"...

Thanks for all the help guys.

Here's the circumstances involved since everyone's curious.

Factor 1: From the beginning, my partner was entirely against keeping our capes if we were succesful. His opinion was that we'd waste a day hunting by tending to the first cape. It was his opinion that it would be worth buying one later than wasting a hunting day that could be spent trying to get a second moose. Also, he already has 2 on the wall and would only European mount a third (if and when he gets it). We caped his first bull a couple years ago, so the knowledge of how to do it was not the problem here.

Factor 2: We were on the ragged edge of getting flown into our river in one trip (weight wise). So we cut salt and a few other items and were able to save $1500 on the front end of the trip.

Factor 3: I shot the bull on day 5 of a 15 day hunt. Our pilot told us up front that a meat haul would be out of the question. With the heat this year, and no salt, I didn't think we would be able to keep the cape in usable condition for that long.

Factor 4: We were already dragging every bend and decided we didn't need the extra weight in the boat as we still had a long way to float.

Maybe none of those reasons are noble enough in your minds to have left the cape, but that's the story.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Perhaps you can she some light on the loss of the cape. There is a lot that can be gleaned from other hunter's experiences. It is odd, IMO, that your taxidermist has that attitude. When considering which artist will be doing a mount, price really should not be a consideration... you get what you pay for.
    I agree that you get what you pay for. This guy's work is pretty impeccable, though. He's doing a 200 class white-tail pedestal mount for me right now, so I have a lot of trust in his abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Call Knights Taxidermy in Anchorage. I sold them one about 2 wks ago off a 50" bull. Also I know D&C Expiditors in Achorage has recently picked up two extra capes one off of a 65" Bull & another off a 52" Not sure on the phone numbers, but I am sure someone here can hook you up or google it. Best of luck.
    Thanks Justin. I'll look into it.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Maybe none of those reasons are noble enough in your minds to have left the cape, but that's the story.
    Alright, now that you've given us all the details we can pick apart your hunt...........haha.
    Saved 1500 on the front end, spend 400 or so on the back end for a cape. Makes sense to me.
    Hope you get a cape wothy of the critter it will go on.
    Got any pics?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

There are some pics on page 8 of the photos thread. My moose is the one dead in the water...oops.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

There are some pics on page 8 of the photos thread. My moose is the one dead in the water...oops.
    68 1/2"
    On float hunt
    .338 Win Mag 250gr Hornady
    I'm probably ruined. A 50" bull looks huge to a Texas boy like me, nevermind one like this.

this one? .............
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

That's the one.

I have a cape off a 62" bull I shot last year. The cape is tanned and ready to mount now. No waiting for the tannery. Get your moose mount done now. PM me if interested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast